FILLMORE, SF 4 NIGHTS MAY 27, 28, 30, 31st

Started by Lonndown27, Mar 04, 2024, 02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChiefOKONO

These first 2 have been next level, melting shows!!  I'm still blown away... Heard so many songs I really wanted to hear!  and How Could I Know was sublime!!  It was so fun to see everyone at the gigs as well.

I don't know what else to say except I am so happy they are playing so damn amazingly these days and are so happy to be out there.  I hope this translates into a great new album!

I walked away really feeling the OKONOKOS vibe!  These are some of the very best shows I've seen them play!

MPP

Quote from: rkwedge on May 29, 2024, 10:51 PMGlad all that are there are loving the shows. I have a question listening to these on Nugs, did something happen at the beginning of Strangulation that they stopped and went into that transcendental beautiful jam or do you think that was planned? I was thinking an instrument malfunction but those with eyes on would know better. Enjoy two more nights everyone!

Yeah ericm, that was so cool.  Jim needed to retune his guitar.  You could hear it when he strums the first few chords, so he stopped singing, but kept strumming some in-key chords, seemed like he looped them, rest of band slid right into the jam without even looking over at what he was doing.  Then Jim took a minute or so to tune his guitar while they kept the improv jam going, slid right back into the song once tuned.  Thought that was pretty amazing!

ericm

Quote from: MPP on May 30, 2024, 02:28 PM
Quote from: rkwedge on May 29, 2024, 10:51 PMGlad all that are there are loving the shows. I have a question listening to these on Nugs, did something happen at the beginning of Strangulation that they stopped and went into that transcendental beautiful jam or do you think that was planned? I was thinking an instrument malfunction but those with eyes on would know better. Enjoy two more nights everyone!

Yeah ericm, that was so cool.  Jim needed to retune his guitar.  You could hear it when he strums the first few chords, so he stopped singing, but kept strumming some in-key chords, seemed like he looped them, rest of band slid right into the jam without even looking over at what he was doing.  Then Jim took a minute or so to tune his guitar while they kept the improv jam going, slid right back into the song once tuned.  Thought that was pretty amazing!

It was pretty amazing and pretty cool to be there to see it.

I thought it was them being the master rockers they are. Didn't flinch a bit and they gave us a pretty sweet little improv jam. It was kind of old school how they handled it and for me things like that are all a part of seeing live shows. Some guys just know how to handle it better than others and these guys clearly can.
"Where's Jim going?"

MPP

ericm -
Exactly my thinking when seeing it. Happens all the time, and the usual response is an abrupt stop, some banter and maybe apologies given, a few minutes of silence, and then restart.
Pro for sure.  Respect for the music and presentation too. Part of why we love these guys right?

ericm

Quote from: MPP on May 30, 2024, 02:47 PMericm -
Exactly my thinking when seeing it. Happens all the time, and the usual response is an abrupt stop, some banter and maybe apologies given, a few minutes of silence, and then restart.
Pro for sure.  Respect for the music and presentation too. Part of why we love these guys right?

So true. They never fail to amaze me with how well they handle things. I've been there for so many of them probably starting with the "Under the Overpass" sound check where they could've easily have just bailed but instead gave us a treat I know I'll always love and appreciate.

Sticking around to do the Sandy benefit after their 2012 tour was over and coming down to Asbury Park, instead of just going on their way after a tour. Sticking it out for hours during the  Mass Moca rain storm and bringing out the openers to join them on stage to start the shorten but fun show.

The list goes on and on but no doubt all of it plays into why we all love these guys so much.
"Where's Jim going?"

Maxwell North

The shows have been out this world incredible! They are so locked in! Can't wait or imagine what is in store for us the next two nights! Lucky to be  alive and experience this magic! The Fillmore is majestic and can't say enough good things about the staff and vibes! What truly special setting for these shows!

liverustdave

Quote from: Shug on May 28, 2024, 08:05 PMWell night one was a FACEMELTER!! Those first five songs had been shaking my head in disbelief. They jammed so hard even my not so fave songs like Love Love Love and Feel You. Carls solo on Carried Away was Gilmour-esque. Heavens Door jam sounded like they have been listening to Neil Young and Crazy Horse! Just epic crescendos all over the place! I felt it was the best MMJ show I've seen, over Red Rocks that year they played those two epic long shows and the Wiltern run in 2013? Jim seems at ease, calm peaceful but ready to rock. I don't detect any conflicts or uncertainty is his stage demeanor as in the past. The heads down huddles the heavy guitars, locked in tighter but more effortlessly than ever before. They've been really really great since the hiatus but this feels like an even higher peak to me.

Totally got the crazy horse vibe too and wore my Neil & Crazy Horse shirt Night 2, which did not survive the night after Harvest Moon, then later I think I'm going to hell > Victory Dance combo. They always seem to be speaking to the collective and I, I guess thats what we all feel and love about them. Fucking unreal 2 nights. Y'all have fun the last 2 nights I'll be monitoring the setlist.  Thrilled with my 2 nights and meeting a bunch of new MMF friends.....I Get Around.

APR

Thanks for the discussion and fun banter to those that posted above me.  Keep it up for the rest of the run as us not going to the Fillmore do enjoy hearing about these details.  The first two nights sound awesome on Nugs.

Have a blast at Night 3 and 4! I'm happy for all those there and at the same time jealous to be missing out.  I plan on being at the next multinighter wherever that may be.

GoBears

Climbing the ladder was a treat last night. Then hearing it again at the after party at the Boom Boom Room was icing on the cake. Anyone else hear Blu Egyptian rip Climbing the Ladder?

Maxwell North

Agree Climbing sound amazing and for me the version i have seen yet! Picture of was great and IMPO would rank it up there with RR 16 version, if not better. All songs have been played to the highest level or version this run IMPO. My only criticism is all the chatter amongst show goers during songs, especially some of lesser played and quieter songs. I mean to bring no negativity to these amazing shows. But it truly baffles me how some will carry full loud conversations amongst their group when such amazing band is playing live in front of you. These conversations seem to happen more when the rarer more mellow songs are played which is an extra shame and makes it more difficult to block out. It's all love. But I feel as a community we can be better and more respectful to our neighbors.

Maxwell North

Tonight was ridiculous!!! Just absolutely amazing from start to finish!! What an incredible show!! Legendary run!

ericm

Just an incredible band doing an amazing four night run at a classic venue. It doesn't get any better than that for me. All four shows were a blast and so damn good it's hard to rank them because choosing one as a favorite would be in a way making the others seem less great.

That was clearly not the case for me and to use a horse racing term it was a photo finish, with for me night 2 edging out the other three by a nose and 1,2,4 in a dead heat for 1A.

This was a run for the ages for me with being able to rock them with long time friends and some new ones I met just this week. So much energy and fun!  The band is on another level and put all that together in such a classic place and I feel fortunate to have been a part of something so truly great.

Rock and Roll at its highest level, and already dreaming of the next multi night run! Fingers crossed we get more four nighters and not to be greedy but I'd do five if they will.  :thumbsup:
"Where's Jim going?"

MPP

Quote from: CC on Jun 01, 2024, 11:13 AMsetlist & poster Night 4

http://archive.mymorningjacket.net/index.php/shows/2024-shows/2024-05-31-the-fillmore-san-francisco-ca

Thanks CC!  Really appreciate you posting these recaps, and keeping things flowing here.

Hard to find words to express how effing great it all was - last night's off the chart banger cappjng off this entire week.  Incredibly performances, great song selections, amazing venue, sound and lights, even more amazing crowd to experience it with.  Met up with lots of truly awesome folks.  Whole week was just transcendent.

Trying to figure out how to explain to my music loving friends living in their Jacket-less worlds how four nights in five days listening to the same band is still not enough.  Or how each of these four night easily had 7-8 transcendent song moments or jam stretches that might very well take years of seeing other great bands concerts to feel even once.

Lonndown27

Ohhh this was a run that won't be lost in the memory quick.

There's so many good multi night runs. So many at this point.
But San Francisco 2024 was outrageous.
I don't think it tops Chicago 2023 yet, those shows were something else...but these shows had their own vibes and some absolutely off the wall set lists.

An opener of At DAWN > O IS THE one???

In Color as an opener??
The liquid phaser tone that Jim is using with that MXR Phase 99 is so syrupy. Times it sounds slightly corny, but it's grown on me.
Love how the boys tone continues to evolve. Even Tom's bass seems to have a lot more effects on it.
All for the sonic juicy betterment.

Ahhhh I can't wait to see them in August.
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022+ 8/16/2024::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Lonndown27

Quote from: ericm on May 29, 2024, 08:53 PM
Quote from: Lonndown27 on May 29, 2024, 07:29 PMWe've got How Could I Know (Oxen) and Come Closer again, AT DAWN > O IS THE ONE as an opener, that brilliant nearly 6 minute ultimate What a Wonderful Man (half Jim solo on omnichord, half the full band usual arrangement), HERE IN Spirit again, so many surprises coming here.

Glad to see you're making this run and brilliant is a great way to describe these shows. They're blowing me away and can't wait to see what they have in store for the next two nights.

It's gonna be hard to top these past two, but if any band can it's these guys.

ERICM, THE MAN THE MYTH, THE JACKET LEGEND!
This is another golden age of the band that almost makes 2015, 2016 and that tepid summer 2017 tour look and sound like MMJ in park with the car idling. And they still had some epic epic epic epic shows in those years.
Hell, NYE2017 IN Denver still has some of the best versions of some songs and was an unreal run despite the behind the scenes tension in the band.

We are living in a fan's daydream right now....look at the site right now...that live footage on the site homepage??? Bro....THEY WANT IT.

Greatest. Fucking band. Of. All. Time.
A band for all times.
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022+ 8/16/2024::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

ericm

As of last night, all four show posters and the Reno pop up Okonokos one were available in the merch store of this site.
"Where's Jim going?"