A really bad review of It Still Moves

Started by thebigbang, Jun 13, 2004, 10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigbang

Don't recall seeing this one before. On this forum we see and hear a lot of love for the band, but not everybody likes the Jacket. Case in point:
http://www.twentyfortyzine.com/reviews/archives/it_still_moves.php

My Morning Jacket | It Still Moves
by Paul Tyree-Francis
Have you ever listened to the Eagles -- on reverb? Dude, you should try it. Take any given Eagles record and then take a bunch of reverb, I can get you some if you need some, and man, you're going to be so totally indifferent! Yeah, and you should totally be driving too, cause there are these parts where "It Still Moves" gets all jammed out like Phish. Dude, it's awesome. Yeah, man. I'm on reverb right now. I just feel ... so ... spacey. Yeah, I think it's because I put on My Morning Jacket, and it's kind of roomy. Oh wait. Is that Doves?

No, I'm sorry, it's just My Morning Jacket. And trust me, if these guys didn't record this album with this one effect on the vocals, they would totally be playing the second stage at Bonnaroo. Oh, wait. They did play Bonnaroo. I don't care if My Morning Jacket currently have 'indie cred'. They don't deserve it. These are simply five hippies from Kentucky playing southern rock for strung out white kids. Nothing on the record is original, and don't let them fool you with the addition of techno sounding keyboards on selected tracks. The lyrics are predominately horrible. See "Rollin Back" and the lyric 'oh oh oh you had me, wrapped up in your mystery/ when the light vanished from on high.' I mean, COME ON! Goddamn! They also showcase some truly horribly Photoshop work with their album booklet. This album drags through song after song with a huge, seventy-two minute run time of boring, indiscernible tripe. Some of the melodies are catchy, even close to good, but don't be fooled. It Still Moves? Barely.

Just a Heartbreakin' Man, doing a Victory Dance with Shaky Knees, along a Bermuda Highway

lfish

Well it's also an opinion, a shitty opinion, but hey we all live in free countries, no?
lfish

peanut butter puddin surprise

agreed.  everyone is entitled to their opinion, so here's mine of their website:  (winky wink wink wink, sarcasm so thick here it has emulsified into a cement milkshake)

[sarcasm on]
Like many other countless media outlets spinning critiques of the same 88 records, 20/40 fails in standing out as a website of choice for these 88 regurgitated reviews/selections.  If the average indie rocker out there in america has ADHT and can't remember that they have read reviews of the same 88 records currently classified as "cool enough", then 20/40 would be your choice.  Pitchfork, The Onion, CMJ, NME, and countless others have the same smartass wunderkinds working for them, swarmily penning reviews such as these that they savor like a juicy steak while they're typing them, knowing full well that they and their mock critic lockstep clones will be turning out review after review of whiny diatribes against anyone who dares to oppose their view that all music must sound like my bloody valentine or jesus and mary chain, those pantheons of indie rock perfection, and if they don't, they must surely be aping iggy pop or the "garage sound" or some other imagined retread of past glory.  ever read some of the reviews of any guided by voices record?  granted, gbv has more material out there than 50 bands combined, but critically, no one in the universe could hold up to an endless bleat of "promises a return to form, but falls far short of any Bee Thousand comparision" after say, 100 reviews or so.  bah humbug.[sarcasm off]

while i readily admit that reading reviews that all sound the same in a positive way gets boring, so too does reading negative reviews.  and calling the lyrics "horrible" sounds like someone didn't get a lyric sheet or care to read it.

that's all i'm saying.  i knew damn well i couldn't resist this post.  ???
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

Garth69

I've got nothing against negative reviews, but that one just didn't have anything to offer. Seems like an intentional backlash job to me. It's okay not to like something but you need better reasons that than. I don't know of any hippie/jam bands that sound like this; most likely it's because of how they look that this guy gave such a review.

thanks for putting it in perspective.  i too didn't think the reviewer gave us good reasons for his conclusions...

Oz

I have to admit, though, that my opinion of It still moves has dimmed a little since I recently heard The Tennessee Fire again. I mean, what they did on that album was very original, they really had their own unique, weird sound. I don't agree with this reviewer that ISM is not original at all, but they do sound a little more ordinary, dare I say. Hmm, I don't know. You know, I hate to say anything bad about 'our guys', but if anyone would write a review like this about TTF, I'd be really pissed, but now I'm just thinking, well, I love that album, but I can't expect everyone else to love it. Or am I Judas now?
I'm ready when you are

Not to digress into a "don't say anything bad about MMJ" debate, as this is not...but you're not Judas for sayin' that.  as sentient, upright, walking humanoids, we all have the right to our own feelings and opinions on things.

this guy obviously thinks he's writing for his hometown high school paper.  references, anyone?  eagles with reverb?  schmuck.

marktwain

QuoteI mean, COME ON! Goddamn!

The above is my favorite argument EVER!  I love how Paul Tyree-Francis can criticize Jim's writing ability, but can't come up with a better insult than
QuoteI mean, COME ON! Goddamn!

By the way, I heard Paul Tyree-Francis is just upset because he got an erection while listening to ISM.  His hatred of himself for having homosexual thoughts is merely being projected onto MMJ.

We should pity poor Paul Tyree-Francis.

Garth69

Mr. O says 'my opinion of It still moves has dimmed a little since I recently heard The Tennessee Fire again'...and I've gone on the record before as saying this is my overall favorite album. They were creating their own sound, and I think the songwriting is more consistent on this one all the way through than the others. It's dirty and low-fi, but the mood, emotion and strength are that much more powerful. To me, anyway. My only gripe is that two of my favorite tunes of all (War Begun, Picture of You) don't get the blown-out Johnny/Jim epic solo treatment that they did in later shows. Talk about the chills. To me, ISM could do without three of the final four tracks, and be a stronger album. Steam Engine would serve as a better closer. Those other tunes are okay, but kinda put me to sleep after the rock onslaught. Anyway...

marktwain

Quoteeeee.  I have to respectfully disagree, but that's funny because it shows how different songs can really touch different people.  I love Rollin' Back, and one of my friends told me the other day that it is his favorite MMJ song of all.  And my wife's absolute favorite is Just One Thing.  

TheMollusk

jim chose to take a certain path for it still moves and it worked, if not for that album i wouldn't be here nor would i now own every cd, ep, and t shirt they produced. i wouldn't have seen them live. they wouldn't have reached a wider audience that jim's ingenious songwritng deserves. "it still moves" will always be one of my fav. albums of all time. i think this critic's carreer is going to go the way of the guy that reviewed "quebec" by ween for rolling stone. not a good move.

Oz

The above is my favorite argument EVER!  I love how Paul Tyree-Francis can criticize Jim's writing ability, but can't come up with a better insult than

By the way, I heard Paul Tyree-Francis is just upset because he got an erection while listening to ISM.  His hatred of himself for having homosexual thoughts is merely being projected onto MMJ.

We should pity poor Paul Tyree-Francis.

That is fricking hilarious. :D
I'm ready when you are

Oz

QuoteMr. O says 'my opinion of It still moves has dimmed a little since I recently heard The Tennessee Fire again'...and I've gone on the record before as saying this is my overall favorite album. They were creating their own sound, and I think the songwriting is more consistent on this one all the way through than the others. It's dirty and low-fi, but the mood, emotion and strength are that much more powerful. To me, anyway. My only gripe is that two of my favorite tunes of all (War Begun, Picture of You) don't get the blown-out Johnny/Jim epic solo treatment that they did in later shows. Talk about the chills. To me, ISM could do without three of the final four tracks, and be a stronger album. Steam Engine would serve as a better closer. Those other tunes are okay, but kinda put me to sleep after the rock onslaught. Anyway...

Well, I absolutely adore 'Just one thing', but I agree with you on 'Rollin'Back' and 'One in the same'. Ah, but nevermind: it's a damn good record and this Paul TF is a motherfucker.
I'm ready when you are

QuoteAh, but nevermind: it's a damn good record and this Paul TF is a motherfucker[/quote

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamen!

ntertayneME

I especially love the part about,"strung out white kids".I'm a 38 year old mother of two living in South Central Kentucky and working in retail.What a shallow minded statement from a shallow mind!

MMJ_fanatic

QuoteI especially love the part about,"strung out white kids".I'm a 38 year old mother of two living in South Central Kentucky and working in retail.What a shallow minded statement from a shallow mind!

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Oz

I'm a strung out white kid! I confess! I'll immediately start listening to the Eagles.
I'm ready when you are

QuoteI'll immediately start listening to the Eagles

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!

to quote "the big lebowski" (which is totally appropos as the 'fest is in 3 days)...

"man, I fuckin' hate the Eagles..."

::)

dogandponyshow

Exactly....how the eagles come up in any way is big mystery to me.  Clearly, that dude is an idiot.

D.

ben grimm

Can taht guy really score us some reverb?