MMJ fans also listen to??

Started by chinacat, Jun 17, 2004, 09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMJ_fanatic

Quote:)I think I'm a fan of MMJ_fanatic!!! I like your list! especially the on and on and on part! ;D

Awww shucks....(kicks the dirt) ::)
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

lyricjunkie

:-* you're humble too?! :D
Talk less....
Say more.

MMJ_fanatic

Quote:-* you're humble too?! :D

::)aw gosh now I'm really embarassed....

MMJ_fanatic

Dear lyricjunkie:

Roses are red
violets are blue
John Prine's a great lyricist
and I bet you'd think so too!!! 8)

lyricjunkie

I do...I do
and it pleases me to know
you do too!!!! ;) :-*

Love poetry will get me to love you more!!!:D
Talk less....
Say more.

peanut butter puddin surprise

call me crazy, but i've been digging on a lot of punk shit like The Cramps these days...

not to mention:

Dead Kennedys
Flipper
Ramones

and as always, my evil, Canadian Metal side:

Coney Hatch
Aldo Nova
Fastway
Rush

I think I need some medication...'cause that shit just ain't right.
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

MMJ_fanatic

Dear lyricjunkie:

John Hiatt, JJ Cale, Jimmy James too
The more you listen, the more you love
Like the vibe I get from you! ;)

lyricjunkie

Awww shucks....(kicks the dirt) ;)

you're sweet, for a yankey. :D  
Talk less....
Say more.

MMJ_fanatic

Quotecall me crazy, but i've been digging on a lot of punk shit like The Cramps these days...

not to mention:

Dead Kennedys
Flipper
Ramones

and as always, my evil, Canadian Metal side:

Coney Hatch
Aldo Nova
Fastway
Rush

I think I need some medication...'cause that shit just ain't right.

Johnny C:  gotta love that Blitzkrieg Bop!  Great energy releaser!!  I got to see the boys when I was attending UCONN--they played on the student union mall.  Man, those speaker cabs rocked with every chord!  I miss Joey  :'(

peanut butter puddin surprise

man, i cry big tears when i think about that... :'( :'( :'(
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

Drunkre

QuoteCracks knuckles..........

Jayhawks
Gillian Welch
The Band
Replacements
Jane's Addiction
Nanci Griffith
Leo Kottke
John Hiatt
John Prine
And on and on and on.......

I've edited this down a bit, cause these are the only ones I wanted to mention.  
Jayhawks (kick ass, you make me feel so bluuuuue, why don't you stay behind)
Gillian Welch (Hell Among The Yearlings...need I say more?)
The Band (just saw Last Waltz again the other night, Neil Young's "Helpless" makes you want to kill yourself...maybe that's just me...)
Replacements (better when they were drunk...pre-All Shook Down...Westerberg kind of went egotistical after that)
Jane's Addiction (I'm fucking comin down the mountain alright!  And I am indeed one of many children/I'm holding it back/It hurts so bad/Just went outta of my head and I say AHH/CASH IN)
Nanci Griffith (I thought I was the only one who listened to her...Loves on sale tonight at this five and dime...beautiful song...Heard a bootleg of it once, wherein she described that the "ding" of the Woolworth's elevators inspired the song...Listen for the "ding" of her guitar string, probably the D)
Leo Kottke (never heard him, but the artist that draws "Get Fuzzy" loves him)
John Hiatt (I have his Slug Line album on vinyl pretty good)
John Prine (how valid is his "Your Flag Decal Won't Get You Into Heaven Anymore" right now?)
it's a voice. and it's a choice
to call you out. or stay at home

MMJ_fanatic

One of my all time favorite John Prine lyrics:

"There's a big ole goofy man dancin' with a big ole goofy girl. Whoa baby it's a big ole goofy world"

The reference to the Woolworth elevators can be found on "A Fair Summer's Evening" which is a live recording Nanci made at a fairground in Austin TX.

Don't forget:  "Wish I was ocean size They cannot move you No one tries..."

Leo Kottke is mostly known for his guitar prowess--he sound like he has 16 fingers when he really gets going!

Check out Hiatt's "Bring the Family" and "Slow Turning"

I like Westerberg's word twists--"Ya gotta remember whose suicide your on"

lyricjunkie

Leo Kottke is Awsome on the guitar!  He's a little shy, and likes to play with his head practically inside the body, but he is sooo good at his style of music.  His voice is kinda interesting to hear on some of his stuff... It's like he's been eatin' Thanksgiving dinner at "Alice's Restaurant" all his life! :D
Talk less....
Say more.

MMJ_fanatic

QuoteLeo Kottke is Awsome on the guitar!  He's a little shy, and likes to play with his head practically inside the body, but he is sooo good at his style of music.  His voice is kinda interesting to hear on some of his stuff... It's like he's been eatin' Thanksgiving dinner at "Alice's Restaurant" all his life! :D

Somebody give that girl a Kewpie doll!

lyricjunkie

;)thanks.  I'll add it to my collection! :D

Now... Guillian Welch... Oh My God... She could sing megadeath and make it sound like it was an old mountain tune!  What an insurmountable talent that woman has!  And in her genre... I'd say she is almost as haunting as our boy Jimmy James is.  Not really comparing the two voices, but the qualities that they both possess to grab the audience and make them want to keep listening.  Just my mind rambling again...  :-* ;)
Talk less....
Say more.

MMJ_fanatic

I also enjoy Jimmy Dale Gilmore he has the "high plains empty haunting" quality to his vocals.  You might like to check him out if ya haven't already.....

Sal Paradise

Quote;)thanks.  I'll add it to my collection! :D

Now... Guillian Welch... Oh My God... She could sing megadeath and make it sound like it was an old mountain tune!  What an insurmountable talent that woman has!  And in her genre... I'd say she is almost as haunting as our boy Jimmy James is.  Not really comparing the two voices, but the qualities that they both possess to grab the audience and make them want to keep listening.  Just my mind rambling again...  :-* ;)

Oh so true! Hell Among The Yearlings is stunning but I like Time (The Revelator) even more. Every tune on that album is spellbinding!!!  
The sound in your mind is the first sound that you could sing

tomEisenbraun

A lot of Led Zeppelin and the Flaming Lips. Those're my two top pics. Other than that

Jack Johnson
Donavon Frankenreiter
Cake
Metallica (been forever since I've actually listened to em though, takes a really pissed off mood for me to get back into em)
Deep Purple
Pink Floyd
Jane's Addiction
Buckethead

yeah thats all I can think of right now...
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

lyricjunkie

Buckethead?   :o Who you callin' a buckethead! :D

Just jokes baby!  
I have no idea who the efff this is.  Somebody enlighten me! ;Dplease.
Talk less....
Say more.

MMJ_fanatic

QuoteBuckethead?   :o Who you callin' a buckethead! :D

Just jokes baby!  
I have no idea who the efff this is.  Somebody enlighten me! ;Dplease.

Miss junkie:  Buckethead was playing guitar for one self indulgent Axl Rose in the short-lived reformation of Guns 'n Roses.  Axl claims to have fired him because "He was too unstable and unreliable"--what a hoot.  Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!