Guest musicians on next album?

Started by salparadise, Dec 18, 2004, 07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal Paradise

I wonder if M.Ward and/or Bright Eyes will appear on the next MMJ album. Wouldn't surprise me with Jim playing on both their new records. I wouldn't mind hearing M. Ward on one or two songs. Some other guest appearances maybe? Like, a duet with Gillian Welch? Mmmmmm. They sure don't need anyone to deliver another stunner but it could be interesting.

The sound in your mind is the first sound that you could sing

sweatboard

I think I would prefer to just have Jim do the vocals and save the guest apperances for the live shows.  I would rather Jim just continue to layer his vocals.  Although some guest instrumentals could be cool.  I wish they would get Johnny Greenwood to come in and do a dual guitar freakout with Jim.  Come to think of it, as high as Jim can get and as low as Eddie Vedder gets that could be a cool duet, or mabey since Chris Cornell can't hit those notes anymore Jim and Eddie could cut a new version of Hunger Strike. Now That Would Be Awesome!!!  Let Jim sing the high parts and give a new take on the guitar part and have Eddie sing his part.
There's Still Time.........

ChiefOKONO

eddie vedder, thats a very interesting idea.

i want to see Jim sing with Emmylou Harris and Gary Louris of the Jayhawks!!!

antoniostrohs

Neko Case would be an interesting choice.She seems to like some reverb on her vocals also.But EmmyLou would be a awesome choice.Her gorgeous voice would make for a beautiful vocal duet.

peanut butter puddin surprise

hmmmmm...i think the three part layer with bo, carl and jim (have you guys seen that live yet?  gives me chills!) might actually be better than guest vocals, but who knows?

Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

dogandponyshow

Saw Neko Case jut awhile back and the show was great.

D.

EC

I would like for me to be a guest artist on the next album.   :D

But I guess Emmylou Harris would be cool, too.  Or Neko Case for that matter.  Whenever I hear Gillian Welch sing with someone else, I always wish it was David.  

How about Kathleen Edwards, do you guys know her?  Or, if the Be Good Tanyas played with MMJ that would be...  well that would be totally crazy.  Lots of girls and boys and many layers of vocals, mandolins, a few guitars.  Okay seriously, I think they should do that.  

But I'm with John, in the end.  I like the boys playin' just as themselves.

Maybe Jim could do a record of duets like John Prine does.  Oooooh...

antoniostrohs

Yea,EC I have Kathleen Edwards disc "Failer".Which is a wonderful cd.She reminds me a little of Lucinda Williams.
I love the songs "Six O'Clock New" and "One more Song the Radio Won't Play" and also "Westby".Very talented singer/songwriter.

MMJ_fanatic

if she was alive I'd suggest Sandy Denny but maybe Maddy Prior could stand in for her.  maybe Nanci Griffith or Lucinda Williams too  :)
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

EC

QuoteYea,EC I have Kathleen Edwards disc "Failer".Which is a wonderful cd.She reminds me a little of Lucinda Williams.
I love the songs "Six O'Clock New" and "One more Song the Radio Won't Play" and also "Westby".Very talented singer/songwriter.
Yay!  Yeah, I really dig her.  I like when the gals get a little dirty.  (Lucinda's like that, too.)  I think my favourite song from that album is "Mercury", but I actually like all of them.

marktwain

Maybe not on the next album, but a seasonal video...

A duet: Jim and David Bowie, doing the little drummer boy, both wearing red cardigans.

Jim can sing Bowie's part ("PEace On Earth...") and Bowie can do Bing Crosby's.

Sal Paradise

QuoteNeko Case would be an interesting choice.She seems to like some reverb on her vocals also.But EmmyLou would be a awesome choice.Her gorgeous voice would make for a beautiful vocal duet.

Oh, Jim and Neko goin at it together would be quite a thing to witness :)
The sound in your mind is the first sound that you could sing