When and if Z leaks

Started by sweatboard, Jun 29, 2005, 06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatboard

There's Still Time.........

peanut butter puddin surprise

QuoteI don't understand what people have against *Bonus* material ???, if a band and a record company decide to throw in an additional disc and you don't believe in it you could always use it as a coster, or a frisbee, or shit on it and light it on fire.  I'll be perfectly happy with just the music on the album but if they were to include some video footage I might like to watch it and I might very well even enjoy it.  

I've got nothing against bonus material, but you were saying it won't sell without it, to which I was taking issue with that point in particular.  Your point that people will just download it without bonus material is troublesome to me-if it's got bonus material on it, what's to stop someone from downloading that too?

I'm just sayin'...
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

darkglow

but i do agree they need some sort of "gimmick" for the hungry fans. i would love to see a music video or a single or something just to hold me over until september. some people call it a "sell out" gimmick or something like that, but the truth of it all is money makes the world go 'round, and we already know ATO/RCA has (thankfully) invested alot of their money in this record so we shouldnt bitch about them wanting to make a little of it back.

sometimes i wonder if some of you would still hang around if and when the jacket gets "big enough to include bonus dvd material". i think in the back of everyone's mind there's this lingering feeling of "this is my band i wanna keep it all warm and cozy and personal" but i would love to see them bust into the limelight because i believe from my personal encounters with them that they're the most humble guys and it would be awesome to spread the word to a broader and a harder to reach group of misguided people reminding them of the times when it was good enough to be just about the music and not the clothes and the look and whatever else that's superficial. i know that all exists in our minds but the thing that's good about it is it's all our own interpretations.. it wasnt imposed on us or anything like that.. we just wrapped all this mystery around us and made our own meanings for it. and i think in a society infested with people with no desire for forethought or imagination, the jacket could be a good thing.

i actually dont know why i wrote all this it's just kinda been on my mind lately with this whole new album coming out soon.

sweatboard

I've got nothing against bonus material, but you were saying it won't sell without it, to which I was taking issue with that point in particular.  Your point that people will just download it without bonus material is troublesome to me-if it's got bonus material on it, what's to stop someone from downloading that too?

I'm just sayin'...

John it may be troublesome to you and I understand that, but it doesn't change the way things are.  As far as Bonus Material goes, most people don't own dvd burners.  That is the reasoning behind bonus dvd discs.  I wonder how people that are taking issue with my comment about *Bonus* material feel about waiting until September for the release of the album.  I mean it seems to me the album is ready to go and we're just waiting on the record so they can sell more copies when it finally does come out.  What is the difference between that and including Bonus Material? I'm not taking issue with waiting because it's their record and they can do whatever they want with it.  I'll wait patiently and If someone stumbles upon a copy before then and wants to float it my way then I'll listen to it.  I won't be the one to go and post it all over the internet and share it with a bunch of people but I would definatly listen to it.        

Jellyfish

QuoteWould you believe that I don't own a single My Morning Jacket CD other than Acoustic Citsuoca.  It's true.

Dude...turn in your Jacketeer license at once.  ;D
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

sweatboard

Yeah, if it wasn't for downloading I would probably have never even listened to My Morning Jacket.  I read a lot of album reviews on the internet and if I like the sound of the review I'll download the album.  I think many people do the same.  Now, say you download the album and really like the music, why would you go buy the cd?  

Answer: If it has bonus material.

If you want to still sell your cd's these days you have to be a little creative, don't go out and take people to court and try and shut down file sharing sites. I'm of the oppinion that the internet has done amazing things for music.    

aMillionDreams

Hey, guys.  I'd just like to mention that all you are talking about is the album sales, which affect ATO way more than it does the band.  The band makes their money with concerts, beer commercials, and Hollywood films, they don't need the earnings from the album.  That said.  I think that some people, like myself, chose to buy the CD to support the band, have the liner notes, and the lossless disc.  Also, a lot of people just don't know how to download albums.  MMJ did put an extra disc in the first copies of At Dawn but not as a gimmick as a extra gift and to get it out there.  I don't think it is necessary for them to try to boost albums sales with any bonus material.  But I wouldn't turn down any bonuses either.  That's my two cents!
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Jellyfish

Bonus material is better...bumper stickers should be issued. ;)
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

fiftymillimeter

what was that?

that gentleman said, 'bonus material is better. bumper stickers should be issued.

all in favor of what he said, signify by saying 'aye!'

if however, you are opposed, signify by saying, 'no!'

tomEisenbraun

definitely gets an effin "aye"
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Coltrane

I just want to hear the music....have it absorb into my head and my heart. I don't care how. I love to collect music-- cd's and vinyl, bonus, limited edition stuff-- but in the end i just want the music to take me away from this world when it gets too hard. However the Jacket sees fit to do that, I'm there!!!!!!!!!!!!!
....as mayor of Drugachusettes, I declare this pizza to be...AWESOME!!!

sweatboard

I just want a damn bonus disk.

Oz

Hehe... I just thought of something: if they would actually release Z with a bonus disc, we're all going to wonder if they did just to please sweatboard... :)
I'm ready when you are

sweatboard

If the Bonus disc is them covering the Pina Colada song on the Omnichord then we'll really know. ;)

WillCo

I just obtained a leaked copy of Z so... yeah, I'm listening to it. Like most albums, I'll probably hold out until a concert to buy it. The bands get more money from that purchase than if I get it at Best Buy or something.

My opinion on the necessity of bonus materials is that a sticker would probably be enough to get me to buy an album if I were still on the fence about it. A good sticker, not some little piece of crap.

Back in the day when "Enhanced CDs" were all the rage, I'm pretty sure I never took the time to put one in my CD-ROM to see what was on it. Including a DVD would be a different story. I bought a Sigur Ros CD single simply because it came with a three video DVD. I'd seen the videos online but it was much cooler to have an actual high quality copy.