Origin of the acoustic EP

Started by olwiggum, Aug 01, 2005, 03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corey

I know we have discussed it, but I can't remember....
So the show didn't actually happen, right? Or was it on a different day? All of this has completely slipped my mind.

Also, what is the extra song on the vinyl copy? I checked Itunes to see if they had an extra song, but they don't.

EDIT: just noticed that the extra song is "by my car".

CC

no, it did actually happen. yes, it didn't. no, it did.

Jellyfish

I thought I understood that they were tunes from different venues...I dunno but it's awesome...I have the vinyl version but haven't opened it up to listen to "By My Car"...yet.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

aMillionDreams

QuoteI thought I understood that they were tunes from different venues...I dunno but it's awesome...I have the vinyl version but haven't opened it up to listen to "By My Car"...yet.

ditto.  My record player's on the blink, so it wouldn't do the record justice right now anyway.  

As far as the EP, I thought I read an article where Jim said that they recorded three or four nights but ending up only using tracks from one show.  (Hey when are those tapes going to leak?)
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

whothrewthecake

i thought i remembered reading that the some of the songs were done in austin, dallas, and athens. i personally like the braintree idea, it's a lot more interesting.

p.s. the red vinyl kicks ass.

corey

It'd be really neat to hear more songs from whenever the hell this took place. The recordings are great.

whothrewthecake

absofuckinlutely. i always put this one when some people are just chilling at my place and i love to see their reactions about one minute in...

"hey, what is this.....?"

fiftymillimeter

yeah, if this is a compilation, i'd love to get the rest of the boards from these shows.

corey

I kind of doubt that we'll ever hear all of them since the band line-up has changed since they were recorded. I mean, I know that the EP came out after the line-up change, but it would just seem odd to go back and officially release something from back then. Man, it would be nice to be able to hear all of those songs though. The recordings are just so damn nice.

EC

Is it possible that the recordings were taken from the boards, therefore, is it possible that some of those shows exist, just in a different form?

Like, if somebody taped the show from the audience, but if the guys also had their sound guy recording the mix from the board...

I kind of don't know what I'm talking about, but aren't most of the shows taped, so wouldn't they exist already?

God DAMN it I don't know how to make any sense today.

What I mean is this: is it possible that you would've downloaded a show from archive.org or whatever, and get a version that some guy (like a sweatboard, only not because he wasn't doing that then) recorded, like a fan guy, and then on that same very night, they recorded themselves, and used that version of Hopefully or whatever...

:-/

fiftymillimeter

i'm sure it's possible, but a lot of times if a band is planning on releasing a live disc, they disallow taping for that night.

corey

Yes, EC. That is a possibility.  :)

I would just really like to have the awesome-sounding multi-tracked versions of these songs.  :)

EDIT: Good point, 50mm.

corey

October 16 - The Parish - Austin, TX
October 17 - The Parish - Austin, TX
October 18 - Gypsy Tea Room - Dallas, TX
October 20 - 40 Watt Club - Athens, GA

Got these from the tourdates page. None of these shows are listed on etree as being in circulation.

:(

McGuire

Anyone ever been to Braintree? Does a Startime Pavilion actually exist? This is intriguing.
All right, all right I'll ask her. Miss, miss! Do you know where the high school girls hang out around here? What? What? That's right, I'm the asshole! I'm the asshole!

sweatboard

someone told me he had a recording (I think from the Orange Peel) that contained a few of the songs from the ep.  I'll have to ask him about this and then I'll get back to you.
There's Still Time.........

corey

Who is Jonas? Is he on the board?

EC

QuoteWho is Jonas? Is he on the board?

I'll pm you wiggum, in case he doesn't want people to know his name.  :)

corey

ooops. Sweatboard already leaked it.  :)

EC

Ah ha ha shit.  Well, there you go.  ;)

sweatboard, we keep posting at the same time.

sweatboard

There's Still Time.........