Press:  MMJ on "Elizabethtown" Soundtrack

Started by LaurieBlue, Aug 09, 2005, 06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieBlue

MMJ, Elton, Petty Head 'Elizabethtown' Soundtrack

http://www.billboard.com/bb/yahoo/search/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001010924

By Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Although the full track list has not been finalized, My Morning Jacket, Elton John, Tom Petty and Ryan Adams are confirmed to appear on the "Elizabethtown" soundtrack. Due Sept. 13 via RCA, the album accompanies writer/director Cameron Crowe's latest film, which arrives Oct. 14 in U.S. theaters.

As previously reported, members of My Morning Jacket appear in the film as the band Ruckus, which also includes actor Paul Schneider and Crowe's cousin, Charlie Crowe. In one scene, Ruckus performs the Southern rock staple "Freebird" but inadvertently activates the sprinkler system when its stage prop catches on fire.

Months later, My Morning Jacket lead singer Jim James is still raving about the experience. "It was fantastic," he tells Billboard.com. "It's funny to go into that movie world and see all the ways it is similar and different than making music and touring. Those people work so hard and so late. It's just insane. It's nothing like anything I imagined it would be."

MMJ will have at least one song on the soundtrack, "Where To Begin," which was recorded during sessions for its upcoming ATO/RCA album, "Z." The group has also donated a live recording of "I Will Be There When You Die" to the "Elizabethtown" soundtrack companion "Songs From the Brown Hotel," which will be available beginning Aug. 16 via the Coalition of Independent Music Stores' Junket Boy imprint.

"Elizabethtown" stars Orlando Bloom as a down-on-his-luck industrial designer who turns over a new page when he returns to his Kentucky hometown for his father's funeral. An extended trailer for the film, set to Elton John's "My Father's Gun," can be viewed at Elizabethtown.com.

Crowe says the movie is "probably even more of a musical than [his 2000 semi-autobiographical film] 'Almost Famous.' The music is as important as any of the characters -- it's the movie's inner voice, a friendly guide and a secret muse."

TheLink

sounds a bit like Garden State, which is ok.  Peace. ;)