Buddy system offer

Started by eiseyrokker, Aug 24, 2005, 08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomEisenbraun

Did anybody else get an email from the buddy system about throwing a Z listening party and being able to have the album a month early (don't remember if it was for free or not).

I replied quite quickly to this, and hopefully I'm in. Anybody else jonesin on it?
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

October

yes sir i did.  it sounds like an awesome offer.  when did you reply? i only got my response in at like 10 pm and the email was sent at around 3 pm i think.  it would work well for me though, i'm going back up to school in a week so i could share it with a bunch of people there who are into all sorts of music.  hope i got through in the first 50!  i burned my dad a mix for his fishing trip last weekend and he was really diggin the jacket.

alex

hi all.
two quick comments: it's too bad ATO/RCA is only offering up 50 CDs - if you really want to get fans (who've already expressed enough initiative to subscribe to this list) even MORE excited about sharing the new record with friends, offer it to anyone who asks. secondly, a copy-protected CD is a joke. A) it only serves to frustrate the non-tech-savvy end user when it (invariably) doesn't work with their home or car stereo or computer because of its DRM. B) those committed to ripping it and sharing via a P2P network will invariably find a workaround. releasing a standard CD to MMJ fans will not affect their album sales (i have a promo copy already, and i'm still going to buy a real copy in october). not to mention jim and co. (like nearly all artists) make the vast majority of their money by touring. just my two cents. i've been an MMJ fan since the tennessee fire and i've never missed a show here in portland, oregon. the new record's amazing. - alex

sweatboard

Well said Alex, great post.  Pearl Jam is going to skip putting the DRM on the bootlegs they offer over the internet on this upcoming tour because it just makes it harder for people to play it on whatever type player they have.  Of course people will end up sharing the shows but Pearl Jam is the coolest damn band in the world so they're not to worried about shit like that, and since they don't belong to a record company anymore they can pretty much do whatever they fucking want. ;D  Having said this, I totally understand giving special treats to the first 50 on the buddy system.  I think this whole thing is probably the bands idea, I doubt that ATO/RCA had anything to do with it.  I think it's just a way to thank members that have taken the initiative to sign up.  If they were going to give them to anyone that wanted one they may as well move the release date up.
There's Still Time.........

JacketGal

Congrats everyone :) I got one too and I replied right away. Crossing my fingers! So it was the first 50 on the buddy list? I was wondering how people were chosen.

Anyhow, I was thinking that some bar in the city(Chicago) might allow me to do a happy hour & listening party, knowing that we'd be spending cashola in their bar. And I could put the invite out to many more people, my place is way too small.

I also suggested something like this....

In addition, I think it would be cool to do a listening party where we could include our friends from around the US/world. If we could somehow stream the new record for a limited time on the Jacket Web and invite many people to listen at the same time along with a chat room for comments, that would be sweet!!! I'm sure there are other issues to deal with such as illegal downloading, etc. But I thought I'd throw it out there anyhow.

Weeee!!
But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

sweatboard

Yes, I definatly think we should have a listening party on the board once the album is officialy released.  We'll all start the album at the exact same time and make drinks or whatever.  It'll be a big party, like the time I got drunk after work, put in At Dawn, and started a listening party all by myself, actually I think two other people joined in, it was so Very Awesome.    
There's Still Time.........

dragonboy

I replied this morning. Hope I got in in time! Not sure if they'll ship to Japan?
Any excuse for a party, right?
The online party sounds like a great idea!!!
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

JacketGal

QuoteYes, I definatly think we should have a listening party on the board once the album is officialy released.  We'll all start the album at the exact same time and make drinks or whatever.  It'll be a big party, like the time I got drunk after work, put in At Dawn, and started a listening party all by myself, actually I think two other people joined in, it was so Very Awesome.    

Sounds like a great idea Sweatboard! Sometime in Rocktober after Z comes out we should plan a huge listening party with everyone & drinks for sure! :D
But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

dragonboy

QuoteListening party.  Like everyone listens at the same time in unison?  What if you need to rewind, or listen to something four times in a row?

:)
This is where things get complicated...
What if someone needs the bathroom or needs to go out for more beer? ;)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

ChiefOKONO

HELL YES!!! i do that stuff all the time, so next time lemme know.. maybe if some people answer their phones they can join too :D

QuoteYes, I definatly think we should have a listening party on the board once the album is officialy released.  We'll all start the album at the exact same time and make drinks or whatever.  It'll be a big party, like the time I got drunk after work, put in At Dawn, and started a listening party all by myself, actually I think two other people joined in, it was so Very Awesome.    

lfish

I also joined.  Great idea.  I already did the same thing with it still moves. Get some beer and gather some friends and pass a pleasant evening in the fauteuil. :D
lfish

aMillionDreams

I thought that email was hilarious!  I couldn't believe that I would get an email from John Conaway offering me an advanced copy of 'Z'.  I wonder if each copy comes with a rant from John about not listening to the CD until the release date.  And ditto on the protected CDs, I got the Elizabethtown EP and I still can't figure out how to even listen to it on my computer.  Oh well.  Party on party people!  ;D
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

corey

Fart. I thought I had joined before, but I don't guess I did since I didn't get an e-mail.

I just signed up.
Also, there was no option for 3x shirts. :)

peanut butter puddin surprise

QuoteI thought that email was hilarious!  I couldn't believe that I would get an email from John Conaway offering me an advanced copy of 'Z'.  I wonder if each copy comes with a rant from John about not listening to the CD until the release date.  And ditto on the protected CDs, I got the Elizabethtown EP and I still can't figure out how to even listen to it on my computer.  Oh well.  Party on party people!  ;D

you're joking, right?
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

ptb34

any word on the cut-off for this offer or whether 50 people have responded?  are they gonna let people know if they were picked or just send stuff?  i've never been so anxious...Z a month early to share with friends!

lfish

Quoteyou're joking, right?

no he's not!

Get him of that list  ;) ;D
lfish

Jellyfish

QuoteI thought that email was hilarious!  I couldn't believe that I would get an email from John Conaway offering me an advanced copy of 'Z'.  I wonder if each copy comes with a rant from John about not listening to the CD until the release date.  And ditto on the protected CDs, I got the Elizabethtown EP and I still can't figure out how to even listen to it on my computer.  Oh well.  Party on party people!  ;D

I thought this was a little ironic too. ;)
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

oh come on now, surely you intellectuals can dissect that this is a bit different than the masses just ripping and distributing an unmastered, leaked copy.  or can you?  ;)

all in good fun, of course...

Good.  I was going to say that but I thought it wasn't my place.  :)

John Conaway, you're cordially invited to join me in Toronto on October 4th to have a listening party together.  We'll drink bourbon and make inventions and we won't care at all that we're the last people on earth who hadn't listened to it yet.  ;)

;D hmmmm very tempting...

Jellyfish

Quoteoh come on now, surely you intellectuals can dissect that this is a bit different than the masses just ripping and distributing an unmastered, leaked copy.  or can you?  ;)

all in good fun, of course...

I agree it is different...not saying that...just thought after all that's been said it was a turnaround.This must be the same  CD that I bought off EBAY and you are right,the version I had before was def not mastered...but this one is the real thing.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need