MySpace "Off the Record"

Started by LaurieBlue, Aug 08, 2005, 06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieBlue

Wow - it's out there!  Now that it IS publically, approvingly and lovingly out there..why am I so nervous?  

It sounds simply marvelous.

Laurie

http://www.myspace.com/mymorningjacket

EC

Oh shit.

I'm kind of scared to listen, I didn't think it would be so soon.

I was just there today, and it wasn't there.

Okay.  Here I go.  I guess I've already heard this one, just not this version.

I'm all goosebumpy now.  Okay I'm off.

Nikkogino

is that the new album cover??????????????

it sucks.

EC

Quoteis that the new album cover??????????????

it sucks.
You suck, what are you talking about?  What the hell?

Okay.  Woah, sorry.  You don't suck.  I love the album cover.  Okay, I'm really sorry for saying that you suck.  But I'm leaving all this in anyway.  But you don't suck.  I just had a strong angry reaction to that, but it was... did you look at it closely?

Okay.  On to the song.

First of all, HOLY CRAP BO!!  That's so awesome.  It's so space jazzy and mellow.  And all those different sounds.  

Jim's voice sounds different.  I wasn't expecting that.  I am not saying that's a bad thing.  At all.  

All of the screechy voice noises are wicked.  Kind of like monkeys or something.

I can't tell if it's Bo or Carl of Jim doing the backup singing.  I keep switching.  I don't think it's Jim.  I think it's Bo.  But I don't know.  It's kind of quiet, and I guess this is an mp3.

So, I've already played it backwards.  

Okay, first of all, hearing stuff backwards always freaks the fuck out of me.  It makes me think of The Exorcist and every other scary movie I've seen (which are few because they keep me up for days), and all of the pictures of weird shit that I've seen flash in my brain like a very scary slideshow.  So that was happening.  So I've listened to the backwards stuff forward, and now I'm even more scared.  It's pretty disturbing.  I'm not saying that's a bad thing.  In fact, I'm saying it's an awesome thing.  

I think this song is about something specific (ie Bush, or whatever), but I also think it's pretty Universal.

I have a feeling this new album is really, really emotional.  I think it's going to fuck my shit right up.

How. awesome.  Tremendous work.  

Nikkogino

I was kidding about it sucking...  I just think that ISM is the best album cover ever, so now my expectations are high.  

spoiler**********
the album cover goes well with "into the woods"

SMc55

Quoteis that the new album cover??????????????

it sucks.

I hate to say, but I don't like it either. I admire the work but it doesn't say 'My Morning Jacket' to me. Maybe that's a good thing. I haven't heard the album so maybe it will make sense when I hear it. I know it's subjective but I've looked at it a lot and it's just not beautiful (to me). I'll still buy it of course, and maybe the cover will grow on me.

Nikkogino

the album doesn't really say my mornning jacket to me, so the album cover is fitting.

whothrewthecake

against my better judgement, i listened to it, since i figured i had already heard off the record from shows.

i love the jam at the end. overall, i really like it! it definitely sounds different, and the album cover is different and everything, but it's all about moving forward, i guess. as long as the rock is alive.

sweatboard

I wonder if that is M. Ward backing up on this track.  
There's Still Time.........

sweatboard

Also Meg, if you think Bo killed it on this song wait till you hear the rest of the album.  ;D
There's Still Time.........

EC

Guess what has been running through my head all night and making it hard to sleep?  Reggae beatz and backwards talkin'.

I had some pretty messed up dreams, too.  

QuoteI wonder if that is M. Ward backing up on this track.  
Pretty sure it isn't.  Do you mean the person singing harmony when he's singing the words "off the record"?  

I'm looking forward to hearing it properly (ie not in a washed-out mp3 version).  

Is M Ward supposed to be on this record?  

EC

QuoteAlso Meg, if you think Bo killed it on this song wait till you hear the rest of the album.  ;D
That's good.  Bo's really good.  They're all really good.  I went through the song a few times and focused in on what (I thought) each person was doing.  I can't remember what the specific omnichord sound is...  Do you think the drum machine is the omnichord one, or another one?  It's nice at the quiet moment before Jim starts backwards talking, because you can hear Tom's smooooooooth bass.  

Speaking of the backwards talking (again), the first thought I had was that it sounded dialogue from a Samurai movie.

realdeal

no. patrick is control of the drum machine shit. the omnichord is something totally different. i really hope this isn't the real version of "off the record". sounds like a joke and it was recorded in a tin can. where's the fucking reverb. the cover art is.....SHIT!

EC

Quotesounds like a joke and it was recorded in a tin can
Most mp3s kind of sound like that...

Tree

well...i canĀ“t listen to the music on the page!!

doEVILslittle

haha look at that organ car...just look at that little guy...love it

ok onto the music....i had something set in my mind what this would sound like based on the 55347348958 different live versions i've heard this summer seeing mmj...and this sounds nothing like it...i hope that's the shitty myspace audio quality pulling the track back...the live version's vocals were DREEEEEEENCHED in reverb..where the FUCK is that here?? it's still a damn good song that i love...but come on....

also in discussing song meaning...the chorus leads me to believe it's about the pressures of the record industry to make the album that they want "you got to want to re-arrange it keep it off the record you got to know that we will change it keep it off the record" but....in the morning becomes ecclectic interview jim said that mmj never had a problem with darla or ATO records and that they always understood his need for reverb etc...so what's the deal?

vielfras

Maybe I am blind but I don't see that song anywhere on the site to download.  Anyone else having this problem?
When the well's dry, we know the worth of water.

realdeal

you can't download it...but you can listen to it. i don't think you going to like what you here. :-[

EC

I can't tell if it's still there to listen to or not, vielfras, because I'm at work and I'm on a mac.  Wait, lemme check V's computer.  

Woah.  It's down.  That's weird.  Why did that happen?  

Oh shit.  That's weird.

Well, it isn't there according to V's computer, so...  

I don't like this at all.

vielfras

Well thanks for looking, all that I saw was 3 songs from ISM to listen to.  I hope I am going to like it.  If not I have the live shows.
When the well's dry, we know the worth of water.