Off The Record Pitchfork review

Started by doeslittle, Sep 23, 2005, 09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doEVILslittle

i think it's pretty spot on myself....except i looooove me that ambient ending...opinions?

http://pitchforkmedia.com/tracks/05-09-23.shtml#song2

MMJ songs tend to fall into two categories: thunderous, southern-fried epics in the tradition of The Band and Neil Young, or carpetbagger pop gems interested in the So-rock sound for decorative purposes only. "Off the Record" falls into the latter, sprawling across America's musical landscape like a Lewis and Clark expedition while making sure to write home often. The journey begins with a riff pulled from "Hawaii Five-O" before shipwrecking on a joint Strokes/Flaming Lips island party: Think R.E.M., had all members actually grown up in the south. Jim James hedges his cryptic cowl with tongue-in-cheek lyrics and Wayne Coyne euphoria, though sadly the voyage tapers off with jellybean Air "ambience." A brief jamboree or extended solo would've been a more fitting ending to this rugged ditty, but what does my Union ass know? [Adam Moerder]

***1/2

primushead

Yeah...sounds like a so-so review.  But what does his union ass know?

peanut butter puddin surprise

careful...i'm a transplanted union ass.... ;)
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

primushead

Quotecareful...i'm a transplanted union ass.... ;)

Oh, I wasn't trying to offend union asses.  I was just quoting the final line of the review.  I may have a southern ass myself, but i'm okay with union asses too.  And western ones.

tomEisenbraun

The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

marktwain

"southern-fried"

See what I mean?

doEVILslittle

Quote"southern-fried"

See what I mean?

yeah i don't get that either...."southern fried" just doesnt synch up when i think of MMJ. just cause they're from the south and write some epic fucking songs doesn't mean they are "southern fried" genres suck...and are a large part of what kills musical taste within the population today

wow, that "southern fried" thingy is over-used.

TheLink

i think it is a correct review.  not the greatest song ever made, especially by the Jacket.  But, I do enjoy the ending.

corey

I personally don't see the Lips connection in this song. I've noticed that JJ can be Wayne-esque in some other tunes, but not this one.

The "southern-fried" tip doesn't apply to this song either.

Just my thoughts.

And be sure that everyone is going to point out that the beginning sounds like "Hawaii 5-0". I don't think there will be a single review that doesn't mention that because all of the critics will think that they are the first ones to notice it.

does that mean I can dress up like Jack Lord and call people "Danno" from now on?  :o

it's like he's sayin'..."come hither"... ;)

primushead

And what the hell does this mean?

"...sprawling across America's musical landscape like a Lewis and Clark expedition while making sure to write home often."

I think he's just trying to sound fancy.

Coltrane

yeah, but for pitchfork, this IS a glowing review. It pains them so much to like things.
....as mayor of Drugachusettes, I declare this pizza to be...AWESOME!!!

primushead

Nikkogino

Quoteyeah, but for pitchfork, this IS a glowing review. It pains them so much to like things.

i agree.  they have their head so far up their own asses.  Their moto is "if we hate everything, we will get more credibility."

doEVILslittle

QuoteAnd what the hell does this mean?

"...sprawling across America's musical landscape like a Lewis and Clark expedition while making sure to write home often."

I think he's just trying to sound fancy.

it means the boys are testing their limits and experimenting but still sticking to their roots

MMJ_fanatic

Quote"southern-fried"

See what I mean?
yeah I don't get people trying to paint these guys with the same brush used with the prototypical "southern rockers". it just doesn't fit for me!
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

TheLink

i think pitchfork likes ceertain stuff and tends to stick with it.   they actually can weed out a lot of shit.  but, i do agree that they sometimes sound like they are tryin to earn college cred from some hip writing teacher with some of their bullshit reviews.  i have actaully thought to send them some reviews, but i am much more straightforward.  as far as H50, aren't most people too young to remember that?  i mean, i am 28, and barely remeber it.  i think reruns stopped in like 1987.  right?  how the fuck does everyone know it.  and, most young fans won't have a clue.  it was a nice steal. ;)