Billboard Review

Started by LaurieBlue, Sep 30, 2005, 07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieBlue

http://www.billboard.com/bb/reviews/album_article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001219447

MY MORNING JACKET
Album Title: Z
Producer(s): John Leckie
Genre: ROCK
Label/Catalog Number: ATO/RCA
Release Date: Oct. 4
Source: Billboard Magazine
Originally Reviewed: October 08, 2005

Steeped in tradition but committed to paving its own sonic path, My Morning Jacket makes a bold leap forward on "Z." Recording for the first time outside of its southern Indiana comfort zone, the band offers up a host of adventurous, rewarding material, led by the jaunty, reggae-tinged "Off the Record," which effortlessly shifts into top-shelf, late-night soul with a psychedelic edge. And while the Jim James-led band excels at piano and slide guitar-accented balladry like "Knot Comes Loose" and moody epics like "Dondante," MMJ is at its most enjoyable when it is audibly having fun. Such songs as "Gideon," "Anytime" and "What a Wonderful Man" deliver the kind of pulse-quickening, first-take excitement that few up-and-coming bands can match, inspiring renewed faith in the power of good, old-fashioned rock'n'roll. —Jonathan Cohen

Nikkogino

"southern indiana comfort zone" ??????????

marktwain

Do ya think he meant "south of indiana comfort zone"?  

Man, once you get across that river, it's not southern-fried rock anymore.  What'll the critics say?!  Midwest casserole-baked rock?
 [smiley=smartass.gif]

LaurieBlue

Quotehttp://www.billboard.com/bb/reviews/album_article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001219447

Such songs as "Gideon," "Anytime" and "What a Wonderful Man" deliver the kind of pulse-quickening, first-take excitement that few up-and-coming bands can match, inspiring renewed faith in the power of good, old-fashioned rock'n'roll. —Jonathan Cohen

I think that's what most people are going to walk away with from this review...I did at least :-).  The reviews are just wonderfully positive for the most part, more so than a lot of reviews I've read from new releases.  Y'all don't read too much into them, the press rarely gets it ALL right, but when Joe Public reads these, I think they're just going to come away with the Positiveness and the 5 stars :-).  

marktwain

You're definitely right, Laurie.  But the critics always have so much fun picking apart little things and dissecting albums, it's nice to have some fun at their expense.