I hope................................

Started by dleathers, Aug 15, 2005, 09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oxfordtown

That MMJ sticks with the Wilcos, Flaming lips, Sonic Youth type bands. I really feel that these type of bands carry a more mature music crowd (not that age has anything to do with this) its just the crowd that truly appreciates music and rock n roll. Although I hate to take anything away from the Jam bands but I think there is only 20% of the crowd that is truly there for the Rock n Roll and understands what rock n roll is about. Alot of the Jam bands seem to attract kids that listen to only one type of music and the bands seems to bury themselves into a catagory which takes away from their music. Although MMJ is to good to stay small they must keep the respect from the rock n roll crowd. Personally I think that most of the Jam bands strugle with this (WSP, not to take away from thier talent)where Wilco has done a great job of this. Like Hunter S Thompson said when the normal go weird the weird go pro.

realdeal

"Jam Bands" make me sick to my stomach. No one should ever compare MMJ to a fucking jam band.

WSP + 6 hr guitar solos = crap!

Though I agree with your post.

kymoose

Jam bands blow...when will these kids in the audience start demanding good songwriting?  When the grass runs out......?

oxfordtown

Thank you I agree jam bands a dime a dozen and little talent!!!!

Angry Ewok

Of the dozen or so bands I've seen this year, My Morning Jacket has put on two of the best performances. Because of that alone, I hope they keep putting on their own tours (instead of opening for someone else).

To me, the great thing about MMJ Live is that the audience small enough (and connected enough with one another) for the band to have a relationship with the audience, and I think that connection is lost once you hit a certain volume... Bigger and bigger crowds is just an inevitability though with a great band.

I don't like jam bands, and MMJ certainly isn't one. At Bonnaroo I only went to the WSP shows to see what the big deal was - and I ended up majorly disapointed on both nights. Is it a prerequisite that you have to be stoned out of your mind to enjoy WSP? I just found myself bored to death with each hour-long song... "How are these people enjoying this stuff?" I remember asking my buddy.

On a side note, I'm always trying to spread the word about MMJ, but I have the hardest time describing their style... In my blog I wrote :

"they fucking rocked so hard, at the end of the show, all of our boxers were in a wad up the creases of our asses so deep it was putting pressure on the lungs..."

'Nuff said? ???
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

TheLink

ok, now we need to discuss what makes a band a "jamband".  no doubt, Phish is/was the poster child for the modern jmaband.  now, Phish were all great musicians.  the songwriting was pretty awful though and I think that they would agree.  And, the crowds began to get worse each year due to drugs, age, and just plain disregard for the music itself.  This can happen to any band.  Also, a million shitty bands were spawned from the Phish craze and thus the whole scene began to suffer and deteriorate.  

The difference here is that MMJ has a bunch of different types of fans and those of us who really love the rock and roll will always be true.  I think they must just do what they feel and if other fans join in then we must let them.   :-/

kymoose

Quoteok, now we need to discuss what makes a band a "jamband".  no doubt, Phish is/was the poster child for the modern jmaband.  now, Phish were all great musicians.  the songwriting was pretty awful though and I think that they would agree.  And, the crowds began to get worse each year due to drugs, age, and just plain disregard for the music itself.  This can happen to any band.  Also, a million shitty bands were spawned from the Phish craze and thus the whole scene began to suffer and deteriorate.  

The difference here is that MMJ has a bunch of different types of fans and those of us who really love the rock and roll will always be true.  I think they must just do what they feel and if other fans join in then we must let them.   :-/

Perfectly said.