All Music Guide Review

Started by Coltrane, Oct 03, 2005, 05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coltrane

Not sure if anyone has seen this, but AllMusic has given Z 4.5 stars!!! (i have yet to see them give 5 stars for anything new...just classic records) I believe the words "nearly flawless" were used.................

but i'm worried that our boys might get too big...attract too many "hipsters" and threaten to ruin my good time.
....as mayor of Drugachusettes, I declare this pizza to be...AWESOME!!!

dragonboy

I still can't believe they only gave ISMs 3 stars  >:(

You never know with allmusic. Sometimes they give a CD a low or average grade, say 2 or 3 stars but the actual written review is glowing!

Good news for Z  :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

lfish

Here's the review:

Review by Johnny Loftus
In 2004, a dreamy cover of "Rocket Man" concluded My Morning Jacket's first volume of rarities. Which was prescient, because it's Elton John that Jim James' songs for 2005's Z first bring to mind. From the wistful recollection of "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" to Honky Chateau's melodic and genre explorations, John's ability to mesh styles and take detours within his sturdy pop songwriting applies to James here, particularly in the expansive opener "Wordless Chorus" or the initial happy-go-lucky lilt of "Off the Record." Z is My Morning Jacket's fourth full-length (and second for ATO), and it's the one that might finally jumpstart the reaction that James' music has always deserved. 2003's It Still Moves rightly enjoyed its accolades, but it meandered a little structurally too, and sometimes got a little lost in its own reverb. On Z MMJ's traditional influences are present - the folk, blues, and country tones of John, Neil Young and the Band shaded by contemporaries like Mercury Rev and Mark Kozelek. But songs like "Lay Low" and "It Beats for You" are crafted tighter, their sound-drenched keyboard lines meeting the percussion head on and riding meaningful flourishes of electric guitar. "Gideon" climaxes in James calling out throatily over twinkling piano and big chords borrowed from the Who, and "What a Wonderful Man" is a raucous, crashing tumble of unhinged crash cymbals, barroom piano and mirthful yelping. Z is intuitive, intensely creative, classicist-minded, nearly flawless. It's music that's extruded from Jim James' id, and that's bearded, too.

I guess I have to agree with their opinion.  When I first saw the ISM review, I was a little bit dissapointed in allmusic.com: How could they only give three stars out of five.  But now, allthough I haven't heard Z, I think it all makes sense.  Allthough ISM is a splendid LP, it's indeed drenched in reverb and it gives the whole album a heavy thick atmosphere.  It's definitely not easy listening. The mood is darker then TTF.

And with Z, as I heard and read, they made a more easier/rock record, which can address a lot more people.

And if they grow huge with it, why not.  They deserve it.  they won't be huge like in "britney spears huge" but more like pearl jam huge.  And I like the sound of that. good bands deserve the respect and the money of the bigger audience  :).

Any thoughts on this one?

lfish

Clarkwork

I agree with you.  Music is a business.  As much as I hate that it is.  And the problem is if MMJ doesn't start making the evil empire(record company) some money, they will get rid of them.  I've seen a lot of great bands break up because of this.  I like how you compared them to "Pearl Jam Big".  Pearl Jam got big but never abandoned their true fans and always stayed true to their music.  They never "sold out" and in my opinion still make great music and put on a great live show.  I'd love to see MMJ 10 years from now doing the same thing.  
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

EC

QuoteI agree with you.  Music is a business.  As much as I hate that it is.  And the problem is if MMJ doesn't start making the evil empire(record company) some money, they will get rid of them.  I've seen a lot of great bands break up because of this.  I like how you compared them to "Pearl Jam Big".  Pearl Jam got big but never abandoned their true fans and always stayed true to their music.  They never "sold out" and in my opinion still make great music and put on a great live show.  I'd love to see MMJ 10 years from now doing the same thing.  

I have no doubt that these dudes will stay true blue.  None whatsoever.  

I also have this funny little feeling that Z will become the album that everybody refers to as changing the scene back to a more palateable one..  I don't know why I think that, I just do.  I feel like we'll be telling our grandkids what an amazing time in music this was.