*Official* Release Day Review Party.

Started by sweatboard, Oct 04, 2005, 10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatboard

I'm not going to post anything because I've been listening to the record for months, but I'm really excited to hear what people think.  Thier are so many threads I thought I'd start this one to collaborate the release day impressions.................So GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There's Still Time.........

Clarkwork

Well, I pre-ordered the CD about a month ago.  I haven't heard any of the songs except WC and OTR.  At lunch time today I just couldn't stand it anymore so I went out and bought it even though it will be in the mail in a couple of days.  So I spent my lunch hour today, sitting in my car, listening to this amazing album.  It was worth the wait.  If I had one word to describe it, it would be "tight".  The songs just have that polished sound to them.  I am really enjoying it so far. I'm going to wait until each song fully hits me to review them.
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

EC

You know, I was blown the fuck out of my skull, and I kind of knew I would be.  I, personally, do not see this as so much a transgression from previous form, but a natural flow in the existing stream.  

The fucking keyboard and piano sounds are brilliant.  That little piano section (you know the one I mean) in Knot Comes Loose is so beautiful.  It's so perfect.  Way to go, Bo.  I hope the dude feels really good about that. :)

Lay Low is one of the hottest songs ever written.  Holy crap.  You ladies know what I'm talking about.  

Anytime, that Damn is so awesome.  Woah!

What I totally love about this album is that everybody's voice is really strong.  You can hear what everybody's doing, and it's all different, and each part together creates this force.  The songs are so interesting and crafted.  You have to listen to everything so many times before you even really get a sense of the song.  Like, there's your initial gut reaction which is either "This rocks!", or "I want to dance!" or, "What a sexy song!"  And then there's the listening to the words, and then you listen to the parts, and then you listen to the little bits and try and figure out what they are.  I thought that the whistling was a theramin, but turns out it's a dude whistling.  Neat!  And especially in Into The Woods - there are so many interesting things to listen to in there.  

I was really, really worried that the album version of Dondante couldn't match my expectations.  I was wrong.

I cried for about half an hour after I listened.  

The artwork?  So lovely.  Especially the birds crying those big tears on the music sheets.  And that big monster dude with the thorn in his toe.  

Lots of owls in there...  anybody know who drew the owl on the yellow lined paper?

It's incredible.  It's so good and beautiful and honest and carefully put together and thoughtful and full of fucking rock.

Every single one of the dudes completely shines on this album.  :)

Igottago

I've listened a couple of times through so far...I can honestly say, i'm blown away..songs just keep getting better and better. I love this album, more than any other album since, well, It Still Moves.

sweatboard

Meg, that is Andrew Bird whisteling on It Beats For You, but that has to be a theramin on Into The Woods.
There's Still Time.........

EC

QuoteMeg, that is Andrew Bird whisteling on It Beats For You, but that has to be a theramin on Into The Woods.
Really?  I wondered, also, if it might be the omnichord...

Who is Andrew Bird?  

Highly exciting to see M Ward on the album.

I imagine that everybody's listening right now, and I can't wait to hear what people think....

It's so exciting!  :)

biscuitbobo

were you joking about who andrew bird is?  if not, he's the creator of 2005's best album, entitled,"Andrew Bird and the Mysterious Production of Eggs"....
[url="//www.myspace.com/thehellsayers"]www.myspace.com/thehellsayers[/url]

EC

(I wasn't joking.   :-/  Now that you say the whole title, though, I do recognize it, although I haven't heard it.  I'm slow on the pick-up for music, sometimes...)

(Thanks for lettin' me know, though.)

whothrewthecake

i'm still absorbing it... but WHOAAAAAAAAAA  [smiley=beehive.gif]
more to come later........
EC, definitely check out andrew bird. he's a talented dude!

EC

(Okay, thanks.  He sure does whistle good.)

EC

QuoteMeg, that is Andrew Bird whisteling on It Beats For You, but that has to be a theramin on Into The Woods.
Mmm hmm.  So tonight I thought I would try to catch up a little, and at this exact moment I am listening to Andrew Bird for the first time via his myspace site.

Absolutely stunning.  I'm sorry that I didn't know who he was, but now I'm very glad that I do. :)

dragonboy

Jim plays on an Andrew Bird record, no?
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

biscuitbobo

sorry.....didn't mean to sound so harsh...wasn't trying to, just assumed you being the music person you are, it might have been a joke....Go right now and get "Mysterious Production of Eggs"!!  He's a phenom!!  Hope i didn't put ya' off by sounding like it was sumthin' you should have known or blah,blah,blah....you understand what i'm saying!!
[url="//www.myspace.com/thehellsayers"]www.myspace.com/thehellsayers[/url]

EC

No no no, it's totally good.  :)  I might make another record store run tonight!  

ycartrob

Right of the bat, from the first beat, it got me. I fucking love every song. I really dig the diferences in each song and unique effects used for vocals, keys, guitars, etc..It's like every song is it's own album.  
  I believe At Dawn was a briliant album but didn't translate as well to the stage; It Still Moves, I didn't love as much on album, but kicked more ass LIVE.
 I believe Z is gonna kick ass LIVE, and it already kicks ass on my Yamaha and Klipschs.
 I am just shaking my head with the 3rd listen, it's all there man. To much to say right now, just really makes me hapy! ;D

EC

What a lovely review AND you quote Dignan.  Yay! :)

JacketGal

I'm rather stunned by this record. Last night I listened three times when I finally arrived home from work. It was the longest day just waiting to get home and tear open Z!

So first impressions, Wordless Chorus gets more brilliant with each listen, didn't know what to make of it at first but damn it's really beautiful.

It Beats 4U, still brilliant,like a shining through tears love song.

Gideon a bass & drums spot light for me, it sounds like nothing I've heard but like everything at the same time...

What a wonderful man is just a rockin good time, I completely dig that guitar laden sound just absorbing it up while boppin around!

Off the Record is just cool, I love the surf reggae feel of it.

Into the woods is haunting and I think one the best vocal spots on the record.

Anytime is one that I can put my finger on yet, dig it a lot. This may be one of those sleepers that suddenly hits you a month or two later!

Lay low seems like classic Jacket to me, is there such a thing? LOVE this one!

Knot Comes Loose is another creeper, I love it already. The piano sounds very wistful. Is that James on backing vocals too?

Dondante-- KILLER, KILLER KILLER, I'm floored by this one, everything about it is amazing,music, vocals and the scream!

Ok, thanks for listening....good morning and time for another spin! I agree that everyone shines on this! It's an early contender for my record of the year....
But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

primushead

QuoteI'm rather stunned by this record. Last night I listened three times when I finally arrived home from work. It was the longest day just waiting to get home and tear open Z!

So first impressions, Wordless Chorus gets more brilliant with each listen, didn't know what to make of it at first but damn it's really beautiful.

I LOVE the double bass during the chorus.  Pat outdid himself on that one.