Cameron Crowe's iPod

Started by LaurieBlue, Oct 14, 2005, 03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieBlue

http://www.macleans.ca/culture/films/article.jsp?content=20051017_113415_113415

What's on Cameron Crowe's iPod

More DJ than director

JOHN INTINI

In every Cameron Crowe movie (Jerry Maguire, Almost Famous) the music provides the message. His latest, Elizabethtown, starring Orlando Bloom and Kirsten Dunst (below with the director), is no different. The film is an accessory to the soundtrack, which includes Ryan Adams and Tom Petty. We spoke with the L.A. director about his passion for tunes.

What song do you want played at your funeral?
Slit Skirts by Pete Townshend. It's so deeply melancholic. I'd also like a really good live version of Pearl Jam's Release. I just love how it builds and builds before ending on a large grace note.

What's on your iPod right now?
I have 43 days of music on it and the memory is full. It's mainly soul music -- not R & B, but authentic rock music. Most of it is filled with possible songs for the movie so maybe now I can dump a lot of them.

Is there a song youwant to use but can't find the perfect scene?
I Will Be There When You Die by by My Morning Jacket. It was a big inspiration for Elizabethtown, but just didn't fit. Sometimes you can't rise to the challenge of what a song already can do on its own. Some songs are better movies.

When does music sound best?
Driving in the car with the windows down. Air is the great lost instrument.

whothrewthecake

i will be there when you die is so beautiful. if cameron ever finds a scene for it, i will be there when you die to see it.

SmoothOprtr

The only two things in life that make it worth livin Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin women