Main Menu

At Dawn

Started by Rob, Oct 30, 2005, 09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob

Wasn't able to catch their Detroit show after all, but scored At Dawn the same night at my local indie store.....wow. It Still Moves is more mature, but AD definitely has some major greatness on it....can't stop playing If It Smashes Down, I Needed It Most, and Death Is The Easy Way...I haven't felt this much emotion in music in a LONG time....amazing. Z is great, but now I really can see why some of the older fans are wanting them to get back to the quieter, heavy songs. Still need Tennessee Fire......hopefully it's fairly similar to AD.
"demon eyes are watchin' everywhere"

whothrewthecake

at dawn definitely brings out a special emotional side to me.  [smiley=beehive.gif]

SMc55

Quoteat dawn definitely brings out a special emotional side to me.  [smiley=beehive.gif]

Me too. TTF's not that similar to AD but great in its own way. You're lucky to be hearing all this for the first time. Enjoy!

dragonboy

Soon after I bought At Dawn (my first MMJ CD) I started reading a book called Back Roads by Tawni O'Dell.
For I think the second time only in my life the music I was listening to seemed to fit the book I was reading perfectly, almost like a soundtrack.

Of course, I know I would have loved At Dawn anyway, but the two together had quite an effect on me. For days I listened to nothing but AD, from start to finish every time. When it ended I just put it on again...

At Dawn is one of my fav albums of all time & I don't think that will ever change.

For those who like to read Back Roads is an excellent novel as is Tawni's second book Coal Run.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Danko71

Tennessee Fire is definitely worth getting. At Dawn is like the more polished version of TTF. I love the production on At Dawn, but TTF is just as emotional, if not more so.

loper

Those fans who can't stand criticism of Z need to go back to At Dawn and compare the quality of tracks like 'The Way That He Sings', 'Bermuda Highway', 'Lowdown', 'Xmas Curtain' etc., etc. against the tracks they rave about, such as, 'Off The Record', 'What A Wonderful Man' and Into The Woods'.  

EC

QuoteThose fans who can't stand criticism of Z need to go back to At Dawn and compare the quality of tracks like 'The Way That He Sings', 'Bermuda Highway', 'Lowdown', 'Xmas Curtain' etc., etc. against the tracks they rave about, such as, 'Off The Record', 'What A Wonderful Man' and Into The Woods'.  
Or we can all just agree that we'll disagree.  I'm familiar with, and love, both.  And that's okay.  Because I'm okay.  And you're okay. And nobody's dumb. :)

john_coktoseton

I tend to think At Dawn is my favorite of their albums, but I can change my mind season to season. Glad to have Z to spice up the rotation for sure.

ycartrob

QuoteThose fans who can't stand criticism of Z need to go back to At Dawn and compare the quality of tracks like 'The Way That He Sings', 'Bermuda Highway', 'Lowdown', 'Xmas Curtain' etc., etc. against the tracks they rave about, such as, 'Off The Record', 'What A Wonderful Man' and Into The Woods'.

loper, thanks for pointing out to me the idea that I can compare different songs to each other. This whole time, I only focused on the 1 song I was listening to, without any frame of reference.

however, this changes everything, b/c now I have to go back and listen to every song I have ever heard, and then compare each song with every other song. hmmmmm.... :-/

I guess I'll start with my CD collection (alphabetically), meaning I will compare Aerosmith's "Make It" with Aerosmith's "Somebody". Then, I'll compare those 2 with 'Dream On'; Then, I'll compare those 3 with "1 Way Street"...man, this could take a while, I'll have to make some coffee.

It's a good thing that I am always in the same mood, too, b/c if I weren't, then some music would sound better for some moods than others, and I'd be like all wishy-washy, saying shit like, "Ya know, Wonderful Man would sure hit the spot more than Sooner, right about now". I feel my robotic personality will finally come in handy for something.

OK, focus, comparing songs... :P

kevinjanes

Lowdown is one of the top 10 greatest songs ever written...by any band.

hard helmet

Rob's post is great to see.  For me, music is about the emotion and no one more than MMJ brings that out for me.  don't know what about them it is, but their albums, both new and old, always do it for me.

rob

QuoteRob's post is great to see.  For me, music is about the emotion and no one more than MMJ brings that out for me.  don't know what about them it is, but their albums, both new and old, always do it for me.

Thanks brian......At Dawn is really amazing...I'm "forcing" myself to listen to it in it's entirety every time now, rather than skipping to the most moving songs.....the whole thing's great anyway...that middle instrumental part in I Needed It Most is stunningly great...God, this band is SO versatile...will probably get The Tennessee Fire within a week or 2....can't wait.  ;D
"demon eyes are watchin' everywhere"