How to pronounce Dondante?

Started by Tore, Nov 19, 2005, 12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tore

This might be a stupid question though, but how do you pronounce Dondante? I'm just a stupid norwegian... (not wearing a viking helmet though..).

peanut butter puddin surprise

not a stupid question....

dondante

would be broken down like:

dawn-dawntay
or
dondontay

hope that helps...
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

Tore

Yes, that helps! Thanks! Up until now i've pronouncing it straight forward in norwegian, cos i just couldn't figure it out, hehe...

Æ ikkje dæ litt løye då?

CC

not saying it's right but i always say it like...

don (like in don corleone)
dan (like in kurosawa san)
te (like in tay)

SMc55

QuoteYes, that helps! Thanks! Up until now i've pronouncing it straight forward in norwegian, cos i just couldn't figure it out, hehe...

Æ ikkje dæ litt løye då?

How does it sound in Norwegian, Tore?

"Don dant uh" would be my guess.

Easy Morning Rebel

hehe... :P
[url="http://www.last.fm/user/SoAlive/"]http://www.last.fm/user/SoAlive/[/url]

Even cowgirls get the blues

Tore

Hehe...

Well, how to explain that...

Don is pretty universal though, as in Don Corleone...

Dan is in Dan the man.

e as the e in "the"

Pretty straight forward in other words, with the difference sitting in the sound of it...  ???

How do you go about explaining that.

Tore

Quotenot saying it's right but i always say it like...

don (like in don corleone)
dan (like in kurosawa san)
te (like in tay)

After hours of consideration, i've decided to go for this version. I feel like a norwegian pretending to sound english, with a bubble in my throat saying "dawndawntay".

Thanks to all.

Phew, i feel like so much lighter now. Like ten cars lifted of my shoulders. Awful tired now, boss. Dog tired.

SMc55

Don is pretty universal though, as in Don Corleone...

Dan is in Dan the man.

e as the e in "the"

Yep. That's what I was trying to say. I think this stuff is great. Of course 'Z' is 'zed' to me  :-/

wellfleet

so you think they have a different marketing plan for canada? what about the rest of the world? what do you call the letter Z in danish? hmmm... this is suddenly fascinating at 4am CST
everything sucks. really.

SMc55

It's 10am here. Really weird to be talking to people where it's 4am. But in a good way.

Tore

Whats Z for you, is C for me, and whats Z for me is "Set" for you. If that makes any sense at all...

SMc55

QuoteWhats Z for you, is C for me, and whats Z for me is "Set" for you. If that makes any sense at all...

How cool is that?
It's a wonder we can communicate at all.
If non-English speakers didn't learn English we couldn't I suppose. We are rubbish at learning other languages (sweeping statement, I know). I have a bit of French but that's it.

Tore

Yes, its a scandal! In my opinion, norwegian should be mandatory in both english and american schools!

Jetzt spreche ich deutsche, aber ich können diesen sprache nicht so gut gespracht.

Oh, I bet thats poor german....

Easy Morning Rebel

How cool is that?
It's a wonder we can communicate at all.
If non-English speakers didn't learn English we couldn't I suppose. We are rubbish at learning other languages (sweeping statement, I know). I have a bit of French but that's it.
Yeah, probably not. that's really sad.
[url="http://www.last.fm/user/SoAlive/"]http://www.last.fm/user/SoAlive/[/url]

Even cowgirls get the blues

EC

Quoteso you think they have a different marketing plan for canada? what about the rest of the world? what do you call the letter Z in danish? hmmm... this is suddenly fascinating at 4am CST
Z is actually called "Easy Street" in Canada.  And it's being marketed as "the new Tragically Hip".  

;)

Coltrane

oh no...i've gone cross-eyed.
....as mayor of Drugachusettes, I declare this pizza to be...AWESOME!!!

Tore

And now moving on:

Carl Broemel?

Quite a little nut that one two, for us stupid non-english speaking. I've figured that one out to be "Braymel", is that correct?

I got that from the pronounciation of the great Matt Groening...

EC

QuoteAnd now moving on:

Carl Broemel?

Quite a little nut that one two, for us stupid non-english speaking. I've figured that one out to be "Braymel", is that correct?

I got that from the pronounciation of the great Matt Groening...
Huh.

I've always said broh-mel - broe like grow.  

But I might have always been wrong.  hm.  hm hm hmmm.

Tore

No wonder I get confused when you can't even agree among yourself!  :)