Started by LaurieBlue, Dec 09, 2005, 06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieBlue

http://www.theeastcarolinian.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/12/08/43977b22488bb

Album Review: My Morning Jacket 'Z'
Introducing Thom Yorke and the Heartbreakers
Daniel Brock, Staff Writer

December 08, 2005

On My Morning Jacket's latest release, Z, the Louisville quintet heads even farther down the path toward Radiohead City. It's a journey they've been making for some time, but because they don't do anything in a hurry it's taken them four albums to get this far. However they're starting to see signs on the road for local lodging and fast food restaurants.

This time around the band sounds more like they're from London than Louisville. Their first record, 1999's The Tennessee Fire, was full of twang and Southern roots with a pinch of British flavor. Each subsequent effort has made a shift, so that they should now be mentioned with Coldplay instead of the Black Crowes (with whom they have a show at Madison Square Garden on New Years Eve).

Lead singer/guitarist Jim James, MMJ's leader and creative force (and co-producer of this album) once again employs his airy vocals, and living life lyrics. A major line up change since their last album, 2003's It Still Moves, seems to have hastened their evolution into what one critic described as, "America's own Radiohead."

Long time friends, and original members, Johnny Quaid, and Danny Cash left the group after deciding they didn't want to devote their lives to a band. If they were reluctant to be in the spotlight, then it was a wise choice because 2006 is going to be the year that MMJ goes Coldplay on everyone. The vacancies in the group were filled by Bo Koster (keyboards) and Carl Broemel (guitar). Koster makes like Chuck Leavell on Brother and Sisters with his presence being felt throughout, and Broemel provides solid guitar work.

Z takes its time getting started (as some would say this review has). "Wordless Chorus" and "It Beats 4 You" sound like Pink Floyd on weak acid. On "Gideon" James asks "What does this remind you of?" the immediate response would is 1980's U2.

"What A Wonderful Man" finally gives the album a pulse, with bright piano, and Southern guitar. "Off the Record" a song with reggae overtones could prove to be their "Dy'er Maker" (which is a good thing). "Into the Woods" is a miss, with a strange circus theme.

The most accessible and best listening song on the album is "Anytime" complete with bridge and sing along chorus. "Lay Low" comes straight from a farmhouse in Kentucky, with its twang lyrics and searing guitar break at the end.

At first I didn't like "Knot Comes Loose" but it does have a rich sound, as do most of the songs on this record. The album finishes with "Dondante". As the song played through the first minute I thought the record was going to finish flat, but it took a walk back to 1971 with a crazy guitar break and some sweet piano at the end.

This band has been evolving since its formation and Jim Jones knows where he wants to take it (which apparently is somewhere in Chelsea). The album is an astonishing effort for an American band, and is better than average for a Brit group. My Morning Jacket knows where they're going, they should just be sure not to forget where they're from. Z gets a B.

tdan

Even though I do not necessarily agree with the theory behind it, I have to admit that I like Thom Yorke and The Heartbreakers.  It may be a reviewers regurgitation of the same ol Radiohead and southern rock comparison, but at least it is somewhat original.
Well the music is your special friend
Dance on fire as it intends
Music is your only friend
Until the end