MMJ stay away from Jam bands, please

Started by roxy, Dec 02, 2005, 04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chills

love it! It's best when played at an insanely high volume, while comsuming alchol and singing along! :D

Yeah, I don't think I'll be drinking anymore though, but i might still sing along.

I can't feel you anymore, I can't even touch the books you've read
Every time I crawl past your door, I been wishin' I was somebody else instead.
Down the highway, down the tracks, down the road to ecstasy,
I followed you beneath the stars, hounded by your memory
And all your ragin' glory.

I been double-crossed now for the very last time and now I'm finally free,
I kissed goodbye the howling beast on the borderline which separated you from me.
You'll never know the hurt I suffered nor the pain I rise above,
And I'll never know the same about you, your holiness or your kind of love,
And it makes me feel so sorry.

Damn, That's fuckin' brilliant...

Chills

I've had some too much of these by the way  :D

wellfleet

love the dylan... but felt a little unsettled when i heard lovesick (from time out of mind) on a victoria's secret commercial... it was like, dude, you were the voice of a generation, don't go hawking lace panties! then again, i saw roger daltry on an infomercial selling a 70s rock compilation. oy... gotta serve somebody!
everything sucks. really.

loper

they don't have the skills?  are you kidding me?  have you seen them live?  i think they choose not to be "jam band" b/c they just don't want to be and they are amazing being just who they are!!!  

go listen to phish or widespread man...if you can't appreciate the Jacket for what and who they are!

I've seen them more times than you've had hot dinners, Sonny.

And I do appreciate them for what they are. And that is -

1 Currently the best band in the world

2 With the best lead singer in rock.

3 With one of the best song writers it has been my pleasure to hear, ever.

4 Jim has musicality pumping through his veins like no one else. His arrangements and orchestrations are other worldly. Beyond the scope of most song writers today.

5 As tight a live band as it is possible to be. They practise, practise and practise some more before touring their latest set lists.

And unlike the zealots on here I can appreciate them for what they are not. And that is -

1 Not a jam band.

2 Not an improvisational band. Jim has openly admited that he is finding jazz a hard music to get inside.

3 Competent but not the worlds greatest rock musicians. Jim isn't fit to wipe Carlos Santana's arse as a solo guitarist .

But this doesn't make me appreciate the guys any less. For me they are one of the most significant innovators in the history of Rock. One of my all time favourite bands.

So, get a life yourself and have a more balanced and less bigoted view of the world. ;)

And, if its alright with you, I will still listen to MMJ, just as I will continue to listen to John McLaughlin, Carlos Santana, Grant Green, Al Di Meola, Jimi Hendrix, etc playing their virtuoso improvisations that Jim and Carl can only aspire to.

I bet all of the above instrumentalists would give their favourite plectrums to write  songs as only Jim can. :-*  

peanut butter puddin surprise

this is an interesting thread, no doubt.

"jam band" is a connotation or label, per se...some people think it's bad, others good...i've seen MMJ shows where "jamming" has occurred, but not 35 minute drum solos.  in the earlier days, the band improvised a bit more than they do now at shows (mainly because the touring is bigger and in support of a major label record).

Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

ycartrob

OK, so NOT being able to be a jam band is an insult or a compliment?

I  can go either way here; I love The Clash and I love the Allman Brothers.

(excellent nod to Al Di Meola, loper)  :)

you know, MMJ is a terrible polka band. Jim James is no Harold Loffelmacher...

peanut butter puddin surprise

LOL...he's not Jimmy Sturr, either  ;)
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

johnnymorman

you're an idiot.
so taping live show = jam band?
you suck, go die. i bet you wear elvis costello glasses. you're the reason why the term "indie kids" exists.

Dorothy_Mantooth

well after that, i think i'd like to say that i miss EC. and you know, kindness.
"[Adrien Brody] is a big hip-hop fan and plans on becoming a producer. He is being mentored by RZA."

whothrewthecake

Quotewell after that, i think i'd like to say that i miss EC. and you know, kindness.

right on.

tomEisenbraun

good lord. what's with the anger around here today?
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

wellfleet

i still don't get it... why is jamming a bad thing? i see how a 12-minute, meandering guitar noodling just for the sake of 12-minute, meandering guitar noodling is tiresome. but if jim/bo/carl/tom/pat want to bust a move at a show, let loose and have fun what do you suggest, that someone yell out  "uh, excuse me, you're not phish, don't play anything you didn't record in the studio"... it's MUSIC for the love of god, there are no rules! i happen to find most freeform jazz difficult to comprehend but if the band decided they would extend dondante to 20 minutes, i think i would just ride that freakin' wave.
and also, let's have a giant, collective Forum hug to get rid of all the negativity.
*HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHUUUUUGGGGGGGGG*
everything sucks. really.

loper

Quoteif the band decided they would extend dondante to 20 minutes, i think i would just ride that freakin' wave.
and also, let's have a giant, collective Forum hug to get rid of all the negativity.
*HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHUUUUUGGGGGGGGG*

20 minutes of Dondante!!!!!!!!!!!!!  YES PLEASE :D

JacketGal

Sweet sentiments, indeed! Why can't we just listen to the music without labels, boundries, comparisons and speculations? Just let it move ya people.

MMJ's music to me is an artistic composition of notes and lyrics that came from the souls of those who care about beauty!

;D {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} ;D
But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

MyLifeISought

This is how scenes die: when the fans try and define who can/can't like the band and what the band is/isn't. The same argument happens on Wilco boards, and it's best to just let people like the music they like. And cutting off taping is a BAD idea.
"Music is my savior
I was tamed by rock and roll
I was maimed by rock and roll
Got my name from rock and roll"
-Wilco

LET_THE_FETUS_ROCK

Hey loper,
If you think these guys fell on their face at bonnaroo in '04 then I got some dicks picks recordings of the greatist jam band ever that really suck hairy balls. The bonnaroo download is primo start to finish and the steam engine is the best recording I've heard.  the organ and drums finish is totally brilliant. they didn't fall on their face they left the audience with permagrin. get your mind straight and listen to it again.
I will be there when you die!

Jellyfish

I don't care what label you put on MMJ they are still in a category all their own in my book. I like to call em the best RnR band ever.   :)
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need