My Pink Jacket.

Started by Bermuda_Hitchhiker, Dec 30, 2005, 11:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BH

Just joined the forum.  Thanks for having me.

From the moment I purchased It Still Moves, MMJ has become somewhat of a religion to me.  I spent a week in a cabin in the smokey mountains with my family and wore the grooves off it as I sat on the back deck with as many mind altering substances as I could find.  (Hey, I only get 2 weeks of vacation ya know.)  At this point, I determined that I needed every possible MMJ recording ever made, and I have finally completed that collection. (As far as I know.)  

Well, it has finally "dawn"ed on me, that MMJ has reached a level with me that only Pink Floyd had previously.  And this actually makes a lot of sense, becuase I am starting to see a lot of similarities.  I believe that early Floyd is one of the most overlooked, underated works of art in existance.  It has a country blues base that started from the very beggining with Syd and developed more and more phsychadelics as "time" went on. (See what I did there.)  Give "Obscured by Clouds" a try someday if you havn't already.  Try putting "Z" and the UmmaGumma Live Disc on random in your CD player and then tell me you don't want to join my "trip" in the mountains.  (Theoretically that is, it's only two bedrooms, sorry.)

Anyway, when my friends ask me what is that I like so much about MMJ, I tell them to think back to that first time they were listening to "The Wall" after just coughing out that foot and a half in the basement.  Think about that moment when you dialed up the volume on "Goodbye Blue Sky" to 11and those chills started to vibrate deep in your neck and chest and then flowed out to all of your extremities.  That's the way MMJ makes me feel during every song, on every album.

I dedicate this message to my mother, who has been fighting the devil growing inside of her for one year today and she is still going strong.

"Mother will they tear your little boy apart"  Roger Waters
(And also done "the way" by Jim James on Little Darla's Treats putting the last piece in the puzzle of my joy.

Dave

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

SMc55

Welcome Dave!
Good to read your story, and best wishes to your mother  :)

loper

Best Wishes to your mother, Dave.

Your comments about MMJ ring true to me. Jim's songs are so much more profound, yet lyrical, than anything else I hear out there today. Like the Floyd, MMJ's music is timeless.  :)  

BH

Thanks for your thoughts.  It means a lot to me.  I didn't mean for my post to sound like a downer.  Quite the opposite actually.  
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.