Live or Studio???

Started by MMJ_fanatic, Jan 10, 2006, 07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMJ_fanatic

Hey now, I know there are lots of new shipmates on the good ship MMJ who have heard them live and recorded (cd/album).  I was wondering how people dig them the most on the studio stuff or when their slammin it live.  Both are truly unique and truly personal.  I sit firmly on the fence facing the "LIVE" side but still very attached to my cds and wax.  Who here can be bolder than I and make a more definitive decision than mine ::)
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

capndan

Hard to be bold on this one, they are both unique experiences as stated.  Still, seeing them live and experiencing that energy first hand can hardly be beat for me as much as I like the albums.  That experience and energy is so concentrated you can just carry it around remembering it till you get to see them again.  The albums can just chill you out in the meanwhile.   They are nice souvenirs but you can't understand Niagra Falls in a postcard and you can't fully understand the Jacket without seein' em live.  

wellfleet

i love the albums, they're some of my best friends and most faithful companions. that said, i've now seen them twice and there isn't even a smidgen of hyperbole when i say that the experience is just an intense, earth-shattering, full-body, out-of-breath, heart-pounding, joyful aural and spiritual orgasm. doing your job is one thing, playing your heart out every night for your adoring fans instead of just showing up and kind of phoning it in, that's cool. hot damn i love the jacket!
everything sucks. really.

Sleazy Rider

I cannot deny the intensity of Run Thru live. It rocks me!!!
Politics. It's a drag. They put one foot in the grave, and the other on The Flag.

tdan

Live.  Like I have mentioned in previous threads, I became a fan at the Lebowskifest 2004 show.  I had heard a song or two on radio, but they did not grab me.  I ended up winning a contest where I got tix to the Lebowskifest and a copy of AcousticCitsuoca.  I listened to that disc a few times before the show and after the show I was blown away.  My immersion into the band was completely live.  I have actually been disappointed when I have listened to some tunes on their discs for the first time.  I get over the disappointment pretty quickly, but I still prefer many tunes live.
Well the music is your special friend
Dance on fire as it intends
Music is your only friend
Until the end

DD

live all the way.  especially in the last 2 or 3 years or so.  they just keep getting better and better.
[url="//www.myspace.com/rednails"]www.myspace.com/rednails[/url]

www.garageband.com/artist/rednails

sivalc

the jacket live are fucking immense, here in the uk what I Love about going to see the jacket is the 1st timers, the typical indie kids who go and haven't heard them before,  and then watching there faces as they are blown away by the full on hairy rock out, its such a contrast to the records , personally I prefer them live as they are a totally different beast compared to how they are on the records. Have only seen the new line up live once at Glastonbury 04 and was a bit of a mess so cant remember much, what do you seasoned jacket gig veterans think of the new line up compared to the old one live?  

DD

i prefer the new one.  the ability of the new musicians has really helped to tighten up the live show.  its seemed to create more of a chance of open ended jams and just really brought the band itself to a new level.  then again, i think they could have kept improving with danny and johnny but i guess we will never know.
[url="//www.myspace.com/rednails"]www.myspace.com/rednails[/url]

www.garageband.com/artist/rednails

zosoosoz

Watching these guys live is an almost transcendental experience.......

wordawg

Live, without a doubt.
A live album would be very nice.

wordawg
the future is Ginger