interpreting Wordless Chrous

Started by aMillionDreams, Jan 21, 2006, 04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aMillionDreams

I've been thinking about the lyrics to Wordless Chorus as an opener to Z and I noticed some things about this song that haven't really been talked about on this board yet.  It seems as though Jim is warning us that they're kind of "selling out" with Z.  Now I wouldn't say that they are actually "sell-outs" but that seems to be the message of the song.  Take the opening lines for example:
SO MUCH GOIN ON THESE DAYS - FORGET ABOUT INSTINCT - IT'S NOT WHAT PAYS.
coupled with:
FORGET ABOUT FEELING - THAT'S NOT WHAT PAYS.
Obviously heart-felt dirges and balls to the wall rock is not what pays.  It seems as though the past albums were about instinct and feeling and Z is about getting paid.  Then the lyrics seem to try to justify this artificial transformation:
BUT YOU KNOW - ALL OF THIS CAN CHANGE. REMEMBER THE PROMISE AS A KID YOU MADE.
as to say if they do this one record that's not really their style and get fame from it then they can be "true to themselves" later.  So sell-out now but don't forget that you told yourself you'd never do that.
WORDLESSCHORUS.
The wordless chrous could also represent this transformation since the wordless choruses are full of harmony and reverb like the old songs and then it goes back to the striped down Z sound for another verse
WE ARE THE INNOVATORS. THEY ARE THE IMITATORS.
I think this part could be a comment on how MMJ was clumped together with the likes of Kings of Leon, Fountains of Wayne, DBT, and the JamBands.  This is Jim reminding us that he's actually a good musician not just a one-trick pony to be pigeon-holed.
COME ON - HEY DON'T YOU KNOW HOW WE STARTED...
WE FORGOT ABOUT LOVE - BUT WEREN'T BROKENHEARTED.
I think this is Jim coming to terms with this arrangement by reminding himself that his best songs come from melancholy.  In other words, he may not be very happy selling out but his best material comes from not being very happy.

Later in Z the lyrics to "Off the Record", which is the single and the most widely appreciated song of the album may also make reference to this: "To an artificial tune I see you swoon".

In interviews (which we can no longer cite so you'll have to take my word for it) Jim said that he borrowed from R&B and Hip-hop because that is the kind of music that "touches the most people" or basically is the most popular nowadays.  He said he even considered rapping at one point.

I know I may be way off on this interpretation, but let me know what you think.  Again, let me say that I don't think that Jim is a sell-out but I think he may think he is.  What do you all think?
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Chris Lringle

Um, how are 8 minute songs, waltz's talking about babies in blenders, and reggae jams with 4 minutes instrumental outros "selling out"??

I can't believe that you would interpret the lyrics like that.  It's a clear case of someone "projecting", to use psychological terms, their own thoughts and feelings onto someone else.

Selling out would have been some 80's retro schtick or something.....

I can't believe that you call yourself a fan of MMJ and have been listening to Jim James and exposing yourself to as much Jim James as possible, and after all that, you think that he's even capable of selling out.  It's amazing, truely amazing.

For some reason you are stuck in your ways, and want to hear At Dawn over and over, that's fine.  But don't come up with some convoluted Bull shite to justify it.

saki

It is pretty interesting this whole interpretation...But, I'm not sure if I agree with you.  As far as taking "It's not what pays" literally, I never read into it as literal, more the figurative interpretation.  Like as in: it doesn't help you rather than "get you money" as in "pay."  I also think that this song's meaning in general is a call for music to be more creative, innovative, and less, well, immitative.  The whole thing where he says "we are the innovators/they are the immitators," coupled with "remember the promise as a kid you made."  As for, "we forgot about love, but weren't broken-hearted."  I really don't know what it means.  So, I guess I'm no help.  But, this song is definitely open to many interpretations...and I think it's meant to be that way.

good post though...interesting!

whitepepper

I think its about not selling out....

ycartrob

I think Z is definently about selling out. I think the band gave it the All-American effort, but their efforts to be on MTV and top 40 radio have not happened, so they decided to sell out. Collectively, I believe the band took a vote and it was unanimous, 5-0,  let's sell out.

I mean, Jim wore shoes the last tour, how much more proof do you need?

So this is their Let It Be, their swan song.

Z

Finality.

They sold out.

I broke it down, song by song. It's so obvious now.

Wordless Chorus- the words don't need to mean anything now that the money making, sell out will begin. It's about image and advertising. No more need for words to mean. The alarm bell you can hear? With headphones on? That means it's time for us to WAKE UP!

It Beats 4 You-obviously an ode MTV, their future money maker. All the beats will be for you, MTV.

Gideon- no clue how this is a sign of them selling out, but I now hate this song. I am deleting it from my I-Tunes (as soon as I figure out how to download it on to my I-tunes).

What A Wonderful Man - This is about Bo Bice.

Off the Record- There was an argument about how to disclose to the fan base about the Jacket selling out. They wanted to put it on the CD (record) but John Leckie said, "Bad idea". This is them being someone stealth about the sell out (and a little bitchy!)

Into the Woods- Into the Woods is a music biz term for selling out. For instance, "I have not bought a ZZ Top cd since they went into the woods" or "That Gwen Stefani sure is hot, but she sure went into the woods pretty quick".

Anytime- Jim, Tommy, and Patrick were at the park, contemplating when the sell out would go down. Everyone was real quiet for a long time and Tommy mumbled, "Anytime". The lyrics are pretty obvious, too. Them "moving on", "expressing themselves" "hoping they didn't wait too long".

Lay Low- It's what the band is doing now. Jim isn't sick. They're in some corporate suite in LA with tits and ass and double malt scotch and imported beer, laying low, planning the plan.

Knot Comes Loose- The boys bid farewell to the fans who got them here.

Don Dante- Really no explantion needed for this one; pretty self explanatory.

Screw you My Morning Jacket!  :P

primushead

QuoteWE ARE THE INNOVATORS. THEY ARE THE IMITATORS.
I think this part could be a comment on how MMJ was clumped together with the likes of Kings of Leon, Fountains of Wayne, DBT, and the JamBands.  

Fountains of Wayne?  The STACY's MOM band?!  Come on now AMD.   :-/

aMillionDreams

wow!  I seem to really have struck a nerve with this one!  The fact that no one agrees with me makes me think I may really be on to something here.   :)

ycartrob

Quotewow!  I seem to really have struck a nerve with this one!  The fact that no one agrees with me makes me think I may really be on to something here.   :)

I agree with you.

Screw those sell outs!

aMillionDreams

I agree with you.

Screw those sell outs!

Dude that's not what I'm saying so settle down.  It's just an honest interpretation.  If there are trying to get paid, good for them, I hope they make millions.  They deserve it more than most people who make millions from music. So what do you think the song's about?  Being coy and offering no alternative?

sweatboard

I think it is somewht politicaly charged.  I think even George Bush has the same feelings alot of Americans have that belive in simple stuff like LOVE, HONESTY, COMPASION, etc.  He just lets his head get in the way.  I feel like the song is about not letting your head get in the way of your Heart and Soul.  It's hard to put feelings into words but they are extremly prevelent none the less, thus the WORDLESS CHORUS.............Possibly
There's Still Time.........

rob

I think it's possible that with songs like Gideon ("religion should appeal to the hearts of the young"), Off The Record, and Anytime, Jim's trying to appeal to a wider audience. But it's mostly thru the arrangements and production, than the lyrics, IMO......And his thoughts about wishing religion wasn't a bad word in today's society have been mentioned in interviews. Hey, if the music doesn't suffer........more power to him.......making more money than you have in the past isn't a crime.

.....and to me, the "we are the innovators" line means Jim's tired of hearing "My Morning Jacket sounds like blah, blah, blah". Wordless Chorus' lyrics are pretty mysterious tho.......but that's probably on purpose......so they're open to individual interpretation.
"demon eyes are watchin' everywhere"

TheBigDonger

nope, they stole the idea from elton john and are selling it out hardcore!  wake up white people! >:(
eat meat, eat meat, eat a big ole stear.

scientology is the answer.  sorry jesus.

TheBigDonger

and, how else woold they be able to make crank in their mobile homes?  do you think they took a break for nothing asshole?!!  Get well soon little buddy. :-/
eat meat, eat meat, eat a big ole stear.

scientology is the answer.  sorry jesus.

Chills

QuoteI think its about not selling out....

Yep, to me this song updates some of the themes of the song At Dawn.
"Forget about feeling, it's not what pays"

Just like in At Dawn.
"Forget the papers, forget your musical dreams"
These are either other people saying this or  negative voices inside his own head.
What's most important is that he ignores these voices.
In At Dawn it is  expressed through words, his "knife rises", he moves on.

In Wordless Chorus, certainly the last 30 seconds of soul heaven are a pure expression
of feeling and instinct.
He remembers the promise as a kid he made.
Probably just to not compromise and do what you feel like.
In the end they made a  different record, you might not like it as much, that's fine,
but it's not selling out.

sweatboard

There's Still Time.........

aMillionDreams

Jesus!  I should have never used the words selling -out in my post because no one can seem to get past that.  Let me say again, since this part of my oiginial post was ignored.  I don't think that they are selling out.  I think that may be the theme of the song (from Jim's perspective, not mine).   Second, if they are trying to make money by writing a song or two that my little sister would like, more power to them.  I'm not someone who thinks that if you make money you are automatically a sell-out or a capitalist pig.  As a matter of fact, if that is Jim's plan and it works then that's even more genius than accidently writing hit songs.  BTW, it's no secret that Jim wants his music to be heard and he wants to be a successful musician otherwise he would not play so many shows (that doesn't make him a bad person).  I hope that Off the Record is on every fourteen year old's party mix this year.  It's a better song than most of the crap that sells and Jim and the boys can make some scratch.   As I said before they derserve it more than most.

I'm not saying my interpretation of the song is exactly correct I'm just saying that if it is I don't mean it in a derrogitory way, at all.  I love Z, I think it's a great record.  I love MMJ and don't think they are sell-outs.  In some cases good records end up selling lots of copies.  I hope Z does sell well.  If it does it won't be the end of the world and it won't be because they sold out.  

ycartrob

million, you're open to interpret the music however you wish, that's the beauty of it.

Perhaps you could be a little more consistent with what you're saying, b/c you're not being real clear:

You said, "It seems as though Jim is warning us that they're kind of  'selling out' with Z" and then you say "Now I wouldn't say that they are actually  'sell-outs' but that seems to be the message of the song."  Which one is it? Sort of the ol' "sort of pregnant" thing.

" It seems as though the past albums were about instinct and feeling and Z is about getting paid." That's not a reference to selling out?

"So sell-out now but don't forget that you told yourself you'd never do that." Again, you're angry b/c you feel people have misinterpreted you; that you don't think they are selling out? You're contradicting yourself.

In other words, he may not be very happy selling out but his best material comes from not being very happy.   And you're still wondering why people think you are saying that MMJ is selling out? Is the joke on me?

And finally, your last sentence in your initial post: I know I may be way off on this interpretation, but let me know what you think.  Again, let me say that I don't think that Jim is a sell-out but I think he may think he is.  What do you all think?

Well, I have been telling you what I think, and frankly, it sounds like you don't want to hear what I think. A little consistency in your posts and some heart felt openess to responses that YOU asked for would be appreciated. If you can't take feedback, then don't ask for feedback.

My honest opinion about Z? Not comparing the Jacket to Bob Dylan, but people were ready to kill Bob Dylan when he went electric, when he went away from his "sound", when he did what he wanted to do. He thought the whole uproar was a joke.

I get the feeling that Jim and MMJ put very little consideration into what will "sell" and they are not so wrapped up in it that it encompasses their music. IMO, that's a ridiculous assumption and contradictory to everything I know about the Jacket.

You wanted my thoughts, so there they are.  ;D

aMillionDreams

Quotemillion, you're open to interpret the music however you wish, that's the beauty of it.

Perhaps you could be a little more consistent with what you're saying, b/c you're not being real clear:

You said, "It seems as though Jim is warning us that they're kind of  'selling out' with Z" and then you say "Now I wouldn't say that they are actually  'sell-outs' but that seems to be the message of the song."  Which one is it? Sort of the ol' "sort of pregnant" thing.

" It seems as though the past albums were about instinct and feeling and Z is about getting paid." That's not a reference to selling out?

Yes, I think that's a reference to selling out, but I didn't write the song.  Jim did.  Those quotes are from the song.  I didn't write it.  It's Jim's perspective, not mine.  I don't know how may times I have to say the same thing over and over again until you get it.  I don't think they're are selling out.  I was saying that I think Wordless Chorus may be an introspective song that Jim wrote in which he grapples with the idea of "selling out".  I never said that they are sell-outs, only you did.  It's an interpretation of the song not an analysis of the direction the band is actually taking.  Are we clear yet?

ycartrob

Million, did you write this?

It seems as though the past albums were about instinct and feeling and Z is about getting paid.

If you did, do you not see how that looks like you're saying their selling out?

That's crystal clear to me.

And AGAIN, don't ASK me for my opinion if you're going to dismiss it. Just DON'T ask.

Holy cow.

aMillionDreams

QuoteMillion, did you write this?

It seems as though the past albums were about instinct and feeling and Z is about getting paid.

If you did, do you not see how that looks like you're saying their selling out?

That's crystal clear to me.

And AGAIN, don't ASK me for my opinion if you're going to dismiss it. Just DON'T ask.

Holy cow.

Yes I did write that.  It is an interpretation of the line "Forget about feeling / That not what pays".  It's an interpretation of a song not a statement of belief.  If I were interpreting the words to "Wake Up Little Susie" to mean that he had sex with little Susie, that doesn't mean that I believe that having sex with underage girls is okay.  Do you see the disconnect yet?

BTW, you're the one who dismissed my opinion without offering an alternative interpretation until I personally asked you for one. And then you gave me an opinion about the band's direction not the lyrics to Wordless Chorus. You still haven't offer an opinion to that effect so it is impossible for me to dismiss it. Check the title of the thread.  If you want to talk about whether or not MMJ is ACTUALLY selling out start your own thread!