interpreting Wordless Chrous

Started by aMillionDreams, Jan 21, 2006, 04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ycartrob

milion, I don't need to start a thread about MMJ selling out, I'm not the one implying they are.  ;)

I don't think Z is about the struggle of selling out and most song lyrics differ in meaning, for me, from day to day (unless it's Wake Up Little Susie, which is about a young couple who fall asleep at the drive-in, realize they are out past curfew, and make up a story to tell Susie's parents).

BIGVICLBI

Jim actually writes the lyrics? I thought he had a 100 monkeys typing and whenever they cam up with a sentence he threw a rhyme to it. Thats where he is now, hunting monkeys. Pneumonia Schneumonia!!!! God guys, lighten up on this thread please, its the weekend.

Chills

Ok, that's out of the way!

Back to the point.
I don't know aMillionDreams, can't you see the "forget about feeling" line as an outsider advising this?
Or of it being a general consensus in society that feeling doesn't pay?
Yes Jim wrote the song, but therefore this specific line doesn' have to express his point of view.

Both this song and the rest of MMJ's material are a dismissal of music without a soul.
Again, that doesn't mean a dismissal of popularity.

ycartrob

QuoteJim actually writes the lyrics? I thought he had a 100 monkeys typing and whenever they cam up with a sentence he threw a rhyme to it. Thats where he is now, hunting monkeys. Pneumonia Schneumonia!!!! God guys, lighten up on this thread please, its the weekend.

I'm trying to lighten up, that's why it got so heavy...

ycartrob

QuoteI don't know aMillionDreams, can't you see the "forget about feeling" line as an outsider advising this?  
Yes Jim wrote the song, but therefore this specific line doesn' have to express his point of view.

Both this song and the rest of MMJ's material are a dismissal of music without a soul.

Yeah, what he said.

aMillionDreams

Ok, that's out of the way!

Back to the point.
I don't know aMillionDreams, can't you see the "forget about feeling" line as an outsider advising this?

Yeah you could be right.  It seems like he has been listening to outside opinion though by turning off the reverb and such, which is why the wordless chorus is so interesting since it is one of the only places on the album that is drenched in reverb like the old stuff.  But your interpretation could be right, too.  We're probably both wrong and the words don't mean anything like in "Doo Wah Ditty"  or "Give Peace a Chance".  ;)

(BTW, it's nice to know that some people on this board can still have a reasoned discussion without it getting ugly).
 :)
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

ycartrob

and it's nice to have some people here who don't have to take things so damn seriously.

wellfleet

dear Jim and Band,
I have thus far bought four copies of 'Z'. Two for myself and two as Christmas presents for other people. The band probably gets about one dollar from every CD sale. So I hope you take my four dollars, and other people's dollars, and buy into a money market account. Set your parents up in a nice house in the country. Get a new pair of jeans. Donate to the SPCA. Walk around in a mink coat like Diddy and sip Cristal. You are not a non-profit organization. You are not performing for charity. Eventually, it's ok to ditch the Ramen noodles and move on to at least Michellina microwave dinners.

What is this resentment toward "indie" bands making money? Did I misunderstand? Is the point to make music only three people like? Is that credibility? Maybe the song's lyrics a response to what the band thought the fan reaction would be. Because of the album's accessibility, some fans might begrudge them the commercial success.
I, for one, don't want Jim and the boys to eat cat food for the rest of their lives. I want A&R to give them a bazillion dollars to make a bazillion albums.
everything sucks. really.

doughty

QuoteInto the Woods- Into the Woods is a music biz term for selling out. For instance, "I have not bought a ZZ Top cd since they went into the woods" or "That Gwen Stefani sure is hot, but she sure went into the woods pretty quick".

This made me snorfle my sprite right down the front of my shirt.

ali

snorfle - a word that definitely needs to be used more ;D
love a song for the way it makes you feel