the solo in Lay Low

Started by johnconaway, Mar 17, 2006, 01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanut butter puddin surprise

so, I'm cruising in to work this a.m., and totally going deaf to Z (again) and just rewinding the solos in Lay Low like 4 or 5 times in a row.  I love the way the flourishes and crescendos all peak at the end of that song, totally kickass.  Not to mention Tommy's groovin' bass line that's the solid brick shithouse underneath it all and Patrick's Bonzo drumming, crashin' your eardrums into a hundred fucking pieces.

Yeah, that song kicks my ass every time.  :)
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

TheRoof

i concur....i've never had a 6 minute song go by so quick

i believe they made the 'repeat' button specifically for MMJ  8)
You Are Everything

primushead

It's one of those guitar solos that you can sing.  Ya know what I'm talking about?  Like the Bohemian Rhapsody solo in the end.  

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Tree

yeah. i love the lay low solo!!! it´s fuckin awesome!

cmasters

Want to know what bothered me about this song? When they performed it live on that "Z" tour Patrick didn't play the catchy 'lil drum beat that kicks the song off. They just played it over the PA. He was doing anything while it was playing, just sitting at his trap set.

Don't get me wrong, the song owns, it just kinda bothered me.

The solo does kick butt.

Did he actually play the drum beat at any of the shows ya'll saw?

Tore

Well, if you listen well to the recording, you'll hear that they actually use to layers of drums on that song. The verse drum machine also go throughout the second chorus and they cut it in the bridge leading towards the solo. I think that is genius at work. I have actually heard a live recording where he played the entire thing, and that didnt sound as cool in my opinion.

ycartrob

Quoteyeah and stranglehold!

and Misty Mountain Hop

tomEisenbraun

dude, that solo has redifined air guitar for me. i was walking accross campus pantomiming it today. In the rain. In my Harley jacket. Thinking it was the perfect day for Lay Low.

So I got back to the dorm room and slapped on my vinyl copy of Z and just rocked it out in my dorm room. oh wait, that was after i took a shower, so i was puttin on clothes and rockin out all wet and stuff. pretty unnecessary detail, but it was pure joy.

that said, which show did Halla-hands play the whole thing?
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

sweatboard

There's Still Time.........

EC

Quotedude, that solo has redifined air guitar for me. i was walking accross campus pantomiming it today.
i went to theatre school, too.

;)

tomEisenbraun

hey now, easy on the insults, Meg.

:-/

;)

EC

i only kid with people i love.  fo real.  :)

tomEisenbraun

loper

I have no time for the vast majority of music critics and the twat that wrote the Pitch fork review takes the biscuit.

He said that the 2nd half (the one that I personally prefer) of Z was poor compared with the likes of Wordless Chorus, What a Wonderful Man, Into The Woods and Off The Record.

That already had my blood up and then he wrote that Lay Low was a moderate piece of music filled out with a "bland" guitar solo :o ??? :o ??? :o

Just to be picky myself (must be the critic in me :-[) but the instrumental end to Lay Low is not a solo, but a superb piece of ensemble orchestration the beauty of which is rarely matched.

I air guitar more than is healthy for me since that gem was released. 8)

Gripe

Deedle deedle deedle deedle deedle deedle deedle....

"And this bird you cannot change...."

::)