Bermuda Highway, Nashville to Kentucky

Started by Olliges, Jun 26, 2006, 04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olliges

I've been listening to both songs lately, well, forever and i just want to see what you guys come up with as interpretations for both songs. As Much input is greatly appreciated   :D
No need to shut er down, go round and round in the air

BH

To me, (I have no idea what Jim intended), Bermuda Highway is a plea to follow your dreams and never give up on what makes you happy.  
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

MMJ_fanatic

They've both always had "following dreams" meanings to me but Bermuda Highway seems more introspective vs Nashvile to Kentucky's more general contemplative nature
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

aMD

i thought we weren't allowed to interpret songs on the forum.  Riny had to put me in my place last time I tried to extract meaning from some of Jim's lyrics.  Yo CC, what happened to that article?

ycartrob

Quotei thought we weren't allowed to interpret songs on the forum.  Riny had to put me in my place last time I tried to extract meaning from some of Jim's lyrics.  Yo CC, what happened to that article?

no, you're not supposed to interpret lyrics and get it wrong...

the_other_woman

that's funny.  i see why murph loves you people.  where is that stinkass anyway?
holdin' on....for that TEENAGE FEELING!

aMD

no, you're not supposed to interpret lyrics and get it wrong...

Oh, I thought no one was wrong, everyone is right, because the lyrics have no particular meaning.  But I hope you're right tracy, because I'd rather be wrong then just pissing in the wind.  

I think Bermuda Highway is about Jesus by the way. ;)

CC

someone misinterpreted my interpretation. interpret away, please :)

ycartrob

Oh, I thought no one was wrong, everyone is right, because the lyrics have no particular meaning.  But I hope you're right tracy, because I'd rather be wrong then just pissing in the wind.  

I am usually terrible at interpreting lyrics. I always have been. I get hung up on lines rather than overall meaning. For instance, sometimes I walk around town looking at faces
wonderin why their bodies go to silly places

is a great line of free flowing thought. And then Oh, don't carve me out! Don't let your silly dreams,
fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall
To me, just fantastic streams of thought and consideration.

But aMD is right, 93% of all jacket songs are about Jesus.

cmccubbin25

the Big JC or Jesus Quintana from the Big Lebowski?
Visit [url="http://www.37flood.com"]http://www.37flood.com[/url] for Louisville music news.

ycartrob

Quotethe Big JC or Jesus Quintana from the Big Lebowski?

:o

cmccubbin25

Visit [url="http://www.37flood.com"]http://www.37flood.com[/url] for Louisville music news.

MMJ_fanatic

BTW aMD--I think there is a message about music industry "sellouts" in Wordless Chorus I just think you got misinterpreted the 1st time around with people thinking you were referring to MMJ selling out somehow...
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

sweatboard

I always get frustrated that I don't understand the "Mabey I'm To Blame......For His Short Bitter Fucked Up Life" line.  Can someone offer some insight?
There's Still Time.........

doEVILslittle

QuoteI always get frustrated that I don't understand the "Mabey I'm To Blame......For His Short Bitter Fucked Up Life" line.  Can someone offer some insight?

i dunno about that line but whenever i hear "sometimes i wonder why the meek guy got all the fame" i think of kurt cobain for some reason................

PREFACE: I am a nirvana fan, but i hate when people make a big deal about kurt cobain's suicide and about how DEEP he was. I'm a firm believer that if Cobain didn't commit suicide, he wouldn't be hailed as a "tortured genius" that he is hailed as by many

.......................maybe in that line jim is referring to his interest in the grunge era, and his sadness when finding out about cobain's death. Maybe he thought the pressure got to this meek figure and he couldn't take it, so jim's fandom of nirvana was the consequential cause of the suicide

BH

i don't want to get into this too deep because i don't have all the facts and i'm sure it's pretty personal but didn't one of jim's close friends from an old band commit suicide?

on a completely different note, it's good to "see" you back brian.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

aMD

QuoteI always get frustrated that I don't understand the "Mabey I'm To Blame......For His Short Bitter Fucked Up Life" line.  Can someone offer some insight?

I figured it was about one of many of the great musicians who passed away at 27-8.  Or maybe the lot of them.