Discovering MMJ and some ?'s

Started by tripingbillies, Aug 05, 2006, 12:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tripingbillies

As a huge mmj fan I am sorry to admit i didn't get into them until It Still Moves. I am an avid music fan and i am usually one to turn people on to new music.  Another music fan told me that based on my extensive love of music i should try out this band mmj.  I had heard of them and read about them but sadly i never got anything from them.  He let me borrow It Still Moves and as they say the rest is history.  I was hooked.  I haven't been this obsessed with a band since the early 90's and Pearl Jam.  Picking a favorite album for me is an impossible undertaking.  If forced at gunpoint i would have to say It Still Moves by a hair over At Dawn. As far as songs go i would have to say my 5 fav are Golden, Dancefloors, Hopefully,Bermuda Highway, and Phone Went West.  To Me Golden is a perfect song and is a song that will get me through any rough times i have been through since becoming a mmj fanatic.  I have some questions to pose to all of you.  Why doesn't mmj play hopefully more? I wish i could find a live version on the archive.  
I think that they should be a headliner at austin city limits fest this year and really every year.  
I also think a mmj with gomez opening would be an awesome show.  

Well I just wanted to share how i became a mmj fanatic and had some ?'s. I enjoy reading everyones posts and comments.

tomEisenbraun

hmmm...i don't  know about hopefully. could be that the song was written about a girl who is no longer in the picture, and as a performer, songs that carry emotional weight like are hard to play later on when that person is no longer in the picture.

just kind of venturing a guess on that one, but i would assume there's maybe something kind of along those lines? i don't know for sure, though.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

dragonboy

Quotecould be that the song was written about a girl who is no longer in the picture, and as a performer, songs that carry emotional weight like are hard to play later on when that person is no longer in the picture.
Wise words from one so young  ;)

Silly question Trippingbillies, do you have the Acoustic Citsuoca EP? Excellent live/solo version of Hopefully on that one. If you're obsessed with the Jacket (like you said you are) I'm sure you do - if not, buy it now  :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Chills

At earlier shows, Jim always seemed to have his own solo moment, when he played about three songs without the band.
This does not happen (much) anymore.
Hence, no Hopefully, except at solo shows.

That's just my guess

tomEisenbraun

he actually played hopefully at the solo gig a weekend or two ago. it's pretty spiffin.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

tripingbillies

Of course i have acoustic citsuoca. Thats where i fell in love with hopefully.  I know he just played it solo but i was thinking that it would really be awesome with the whole band maybe along the lines of a show closer such as phone went west.

Ghosts_on_TV

Yeah, Jim played Hopefully at the solo show in Camden a couple weeks back. Great show. Plus I met him afterward. Yay!
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...