New MMJ fans...take some advice

Started by Nikkogino, Aug 27, 2006, 09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meddle

QuoteI don't know what crazy shit happens in Chicago (I, for one, have never even been to Michigan), but if you're waiting for the trees to turn orange in Nashville, then you're gonna have a pretty long wait. I mean, they stay the same color the whole year, regardless of the leaves being on them or not.

I live in Memphis, and have lived in Nashville before... The trees turn orange. And it does take a while, but it still happens
...And Some Are Angels...

megisnotreal

Don't fret, Tom. Autumn will be here in all its glory in about a month.

If you want to have your mind blown, then I suggest driving up I-65 and taking a hike on one of Mammoth Cave's kick ass nature trails.

It's at its peak around Halloween.

I'd bring your ipod, 'cause when you're standing out in the middle of these gorgeous woods, with reds and yellows and oranges and burnt siennas and all of it... all around you... watch those leaves falling...

and listen to "Golden" then, at that moment, and I swear, you'll never be the same person again.

BH

I live in Memphis, and have lived in Nashville before... The trees turn orange. And it does take a while, but it still happens

I am with Tracy, they have always looked the same color of brown to me.   :D  
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Meddle

I have three huge oak trees in my yard. And the leaves eventually turn orange, when the time comes remind me and I'll post a pic. Maybe Memphis foliage is insane? ???
...And Some Are Angels...

tomEisenbraun

haha, or maybe Tracy's insane.

meg (oh no, this is gonna get confusing if you become a regular here) i'm glad to see you've caught on to the O's so quickly. i posted my life changing jacket experience in the thread you made.

that said, you're full of shit, Tracy. and I mean that with respect. the maples accross campus certainly turned red last year. i remember pulling a leaf off because it looked like fire.

and Lay Low definitely rocked my sternum that time of year last year.

there's even this memory of a smell that keeps taunting my memory which floated around that time of year, too. i bet i could replicate it with the proper shampoo and body wash. frickin weird.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Nikkogino

you guys are funny about the word "bad."

To me it isn't bad per se, because I love the album and believe that the production ADDS to the album, but it is a freaking album made by a bunch of guys who didn't have the means to make a glossy album (and who knows if they would have even wanted to).  I'm just saying, some new fans might be turned off by this and I am (and this is the point of my thread) trying to get them to realize that the album is the shit.

ycartrob

I'd say this here is your basic tree color:

Now, you mean to tell me that these things turn orange in the fall?

tomEisenbraun

grammar police!

*when the leaves on the trees turn red
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

MarkW

You guys inspired me to buy TTF.  The postman delivered it this morning, just as I was on my way out to work.  I didn't want to rush hearing it, a track here and there on the drive into work, so I put it to one side until this evening.

August 31, 2006 at 8pm British Summer Time will be my first listen, at home, on a proper system as the sun is setting.  Eleven hours and eight minutes to go - can't wait!
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Nikkogino

awesome man!  My favorite part on the whole disc is in picture of you.  Keep an ear out for the "sorry again..." part.  I love it.

MarkW

The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

MarkW

Well, I couldn't see the sun setting (this is an English summer, after all  :(), but OMFG what a beautiful record The Tennesse Fire is.  Jim's voice on IWBTWYD is stunning, and it's just the most .  Words fail me.

I listened to Z immediately afterwards and was blown away by the contrast between the two.  Production, tempo, complexity - chalk and cheese.  I'm not saying that one is "better" than the other - they're just different.

I'm looking forward to the Astoria more than ever...

Nikkogino

you do have "At Dawn" don't you mark?

MarkW

Hi Nikko.  Yup, I've got At Dawn, and love that too.  ISM is my current favourite, though.  Just put an order in for Parts 1 & 2... it's becoming an obsession!

Nikkogino

QuoteHi Nikko.  Yup, I've got At Dawn, and love that too.  ISM is my current favourite, though.  Just put an order in for Parts 1 & 2... it's becoming an obsession!

cool...I assume you have AcousticcitsuocA right?  Oh, and you have to get "chocolate and ice" and the split with songs ohia.

I think the split ep is better than "C and I" because it has O and two other good songs.  Check those out if you haven't.

MarkW

Thanks Nikko, I will.  It's gonna get expensive this side of the Atlantic!

MMJ_fanatic

excellent pitch Nikkogino, the 1st 2 cds are definite must haves, they really complete the picture of how the sound of MMJ has progressed.  Believe Nikko newbies and get the early stuff pronto!
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.