My First Vinyl Record

Started by AngryEwok, Sep 17, 2006, 02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angry Ewok

I've been collecting old vinyl for several years - but by collecting, I really mean salvaging from my family's garbage and "inheriting" on the sly what my dad doesn't really give a shit about anymore - good music. I've scrounged in the attic, I've looked through the basement and in all of the "junk closets" - and I've found a lot of great stuff (Beatles, Cream, Hendrix, etc). It's almost an Indiana Jones-esque moment, blowing a thick layer of dust off of a jacket sleeve to realize, "Holy shit, my dad used to listen to good stuff..."

Despite my love for vinyl, I've never actually bought a vinyl record until yesterday evening. So this was a big deal, to me.

I walked into Oz Music to go ahead and get them to put a copy of the OKONOKOS CD on hold for me, when I noticed a rack of NEW Vinyl in the back. I flipped through a lot of stuff, mostly just enjoying the artwork, and then I saw THREE My Morning Jacket Vinyl's...

Acoustic Citsuoca, It Still Moves, and Z. I cradled each of them, knowing with my lack of cash that I would end up having to choose one and only one.

I decided to get an album that I'd be able to pass along to my son or daughter, if I ever had one - something that'd sort of introduce my kid not only to the idea that I may have actually been a cool dude and had good taste back in the day, but also to introduce the kid to one of the greatest bands of my time. To me, Acoustic Citsuoca was the perfect album for that purpose.

So I bought myself an early birthday present.

The color in the photo is way off - the vinyl is actually a Kool-Aid or Jello red... it's beautiful. The album art is perfect, as well... Great album, needless to say. I've listened to the CD dozens of times, but it's never sounded so real[/i] to me. I think there's a scratch on one of the songs, and there's a lot of hissing and noise on Jim's vocals, at times... but that's just my luck.

It still rocks the balls off.

I'm gonna try and get Jim to sign this baby... that'd be the icing on the cake.

--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

tomEisenbraun

you may try to get a better needle. or cartridge. i forget which. if you look back for some topic about z on vinyl, there's a big discussion about it in there, and some pretty serious audiophile gets into what you need to make it sound right. and he said he fixed the problem with a better needle. i'll see if i can find that for you.

oh, and if you'd like that By My Car in mp3 format, i put it onto my computer from the vinyl. and where do you think that the scratch is?

by the way, good choice with acousticitsuoca

the really fun part will be getting Z on vinyl and listening to that album on it's intended media.

The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Angry Ewok

Hey Tom, I just found that thread you mentioned... I'll clean the needle or something, and see how that works out. If I remember correctly, the scratch (or skip, or whatever) is on the first side, over Sooner... I may be wrong, but I'll be listening to it again tonight.

Oh, and I got the By My Car MP3 from you when you first offered it up... You rock and roll, brother, for hooking us up with that.

tomEisenbraun

word, brotha.

i hope you relesntlessly enjoy that beauty.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Jellyfish

I bought this LP at one of their shows...I have never even opened it...partly because I would have to drag my Turntable out and hook it up(lazy) and partly because I like having it sealed,a virgin LP,if you will.I finally got to hear the bonus track "By MY Car" by someone on this board posting a link,though.I burned it to a CD.  
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

methadrone

obviously It Still Moves would have been the logistical choice. You bought acoustic.. because it cost less and you're cheap. you should drop everything you're doing, run to the nearest mirror and berate yourself for the rest of your pathetic day.
anger is a gift

Angry Ewok

MarkW

EwOK

I have to live with the shame that the first ever vinyl LP I bought was Abba's "Voulez Vous".

My first single was Rick Dees and His Cast of Idiots playing "Disco Duck".

I'll get my coat.   :-[
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

methadrone

theres nothing wrong with abba.
believe my first was the 45 of 'run to the hills' by iron maiden
anger is a gift