Most Underrated MMJ song....

Started by Nikkogino, Sep 30, 2006, 08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikkogino

I would have to bust out with "Picture of You" but I was listening to Z the other night and I'm sorry but "Knot Comes Loose" is a ridiculously good song.  So there is my pick...and why they don't play it live more is beyond me.

I saw them play it live in ATL last year and it sounded great.

dragonboy

Who says Knot Comes Loose is underated?!! Seriously...
Just because the band don't play a song live makes in underated?
I think Tom put it best once with regards to why Hopefully doesn't get played live anyone, different songs have meanings to Jim & the rest of the guys. Maybe that particular song (or any other song that doesn't get played live) represents something that they don't wish to repeat? It doesn't have to be that complex, maybe they don't think they can better it live or maybe it just doesn't fit in with the current live show?
Songs get written, recorded & played for lots of different reasons. Who are we to presume?  :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Jellyfish

Underrated = Rollin Back.One of my favs that hardly ever gets played live or talked about much..
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

Nikkogino

QuoteWho says Knot Comes Loose is underated?!! Seriously...
Just because the band don't play a song live makes in underated?
I think Tom put it best once with regards to why Hopefully doesn't get played live anyone, different songs have meanings to Jim & the rest of the guys. Maybe that particular song (or any other song that doesn't get played live) represents something that they don't wish to repeat? It doesn't have to be that complex, maybe they don't think they can better it live or maybe it just doesn't fit in with the current live show?
Songs get written, recorded & played for lots of different reasons. Who are we to presume?  :)

Um.....okay.
That is not why I think it is underrated.  The song doesn't get talked about much.  When I hear people talk about Z, it is all about "gideon" or "dondante".....rarely do i hear about "knot comes loose". ...anyway,
why don't you come up with a good one that you feel is underrated?

Angry Ewok

I'll pick a song that I've under-rated personally, judged by my playcount off of iTunes... I've only listened to I Needed it the Most about 7 times - which is pretty sad, because it's a beautiful song. I haven't heard it live, yet, unfortunately.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

Nikkogino

QuoteI'll pick a song that I've under-rated personally, judged by my playcount off of iTunes... I've only listened to I Needed it the Most about 7 times - which is pretty sad, because it's a beautiful song. I haven't heard it live, yet, unfortunately.

I love it...I had it on my myspace page but MMJ took it down.

Angry Ewok

Nikk, I sent you a PM several days ago... is your box full, or something? I've been meaning to ask you that.

Here's another totally under-rated song... BUTCH CASSIDY!
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteNikk, I sent you a PM several days ago... is your box full, or something? I've been meaning to ask you that.

Here's another totally under-rated song... BUTCH CASSIDY!

Yeah, I love Butch Cassidy. It was great at the Camden solo show.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

tomEisenbraun

the first time i really listened to Butch Cassidy, i thought i was going to cry. these two lines:

they say you never even killed a man
til it came right down to the final stand...

and

cuz a soldier's death is so much better
than defeat just hangin around...

strangely enough, I think this song, as obscure as it has come to be, is one of the one's off of TTF that really shows Jim's prowess as a song-writer. In that it's so simple musically, but there's so much going on in it, and the mood he pulls out of it is perfect. it sounds like that slow motion deafened-and-dying-from-bullets sound where your world just slows down while you're dying. obviously i don't have first-hand experience of this, but i know shell-shock (if only from being next to front row at the frickin Rites of Spring show) and it's something similar. Where your world just slows down and everything begins to float. I don't know why I'm trying to describe this. But that and I Think I'm Going To Hell are probably my top 2 favorite songs off of that album.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

ycartrob

Can't really defiine underrated. Perhaps overlooked? Anyway, here's mine.

I Needed it Most

sweatboard

I'll agree with "I Needed It Most" it's most definatly one of my very favorites and if they play it at the Ryman I might pass out.  I am dying to hear Jims voice soak into the ryman auditorium on that one.

I'm also a HUGE "By My Car" fan, it's always been one of my favorites but I don't really ever hear it getting mentioned by other people as a favorite.
There's Still Time.........

Chills

QuoteI'll agree with "I Needed It Most" it's most definatly one of my very favorites and if they play it at the Ryman I might pass out.  I am dying to hear Jims voice soak into the ryman auditorium on that one.

quote]

I Needed It Most is one my favorites as well.
I'm also pretty fond of If All Else Fails.

Ghosts_on_TV

I just wanted to be yo friend.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

megisnotreal

I really like "Come Closer."

colleen

I have long loved "One in the Same." Such a beautiful song. I'd love to hear it live. "It wasn't till I woke up... that I could hold down a joke or a job or a dream" - such a great line.
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.

marktwain

I NEEDED IT MOST

I love that frickin song.  You guys got it right.

Is War Begun underrated?  I never hear anyone mention it, but it was the first MMJ song I loved, and remains a favorite.

And I agree w/ Rollin Back, too.

Dee.

Rollin' Back is a mega hit.  LOVE IT.

aMD

If All Else Fails
I Won't Cry
War Begun

ManNamedTruth

Honest Man- Great song, great riffs-guitars blazin and some great Jim howlin. Never gets talked about here?
Weeks Go By Like Days-My favorite track off of either ch 1 or 2 (tyrone probably my second fave)
Evelyn
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Billo

By My Car
Strangulation
2 underrated gems