English Fans - a question?

Started by ChiefCrowe, Oct 17, 2006, 04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChiefOKONO

random question:

do you guys refer to 'Z' as:
Zee or Zed ?

SMc55

I say zed. Doesn't feel quite right because Jim says zee. I've tried saying zee but it feels pretentious.

ali

i know i'm not english, but it's definitely zed in my book. zee is just a bit weird....
love a song for the way it makes you feel

dragonboy

Haha, good question Chief!
Zee. I've been away from home for too long  ;)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Billo

Zed
Zee only when singing the ABCs

ManNamedTruth

How are you people getting zed out of Z. Z is a letter and you pronounce it Z. Slightly confused...
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Angry Ewok

I'm wondering the same thing. I've never heard of Z pronounced any other way but ZEE.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

ali

zed is the way that the rest of the world (mostly anyway) pronounces Z, guys....  :)

BH

I think our cousins across the pond pronounce the letter "Z" Zed.   French as well.

If a British band released an album called Z and everyone in the band pronounced the album zed, what would you call it?

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

SMc55

QuoteHow are you people getting zed out of Z. Z is a letter and you pronounce it Z. Slightly confused...
No more confusing than saying why for y, doubleyou out of W or aitch for h I suppose. They're just names.

English

I pronounce it as "sounds like a bad eighties pop band - an enormous disappointment".
Seriously, my first MMJ album came and I thought what the hell is this!
Then Tennesse Fire arrived and I have listened to it every day for eight straight days, it grows and grows. I can't bring myself to revisit Zed, although I did like the last three tracks even on that one listen.
I'm assured the live stuff will be more pleasing, and am looking forward to hearing the various shows I'm trading for.  Am I the only one here who doesn't like Zed?
Visit my site at:
[url="http://www.darrenbaileypoetry.co.uk/"]http://www.darrenbaileypoetry.co.uk/[/url]

SMc55

Quote Am I the only one here who doesn't like Zed?
For me it was a grower. It cetainly didn't grab me the way At Dawn and It Still Moves did (they were the first ones I got and I got them pretty much together). I simply couldn't stop listening to them. I didn't feel like that with Z. However it has grown on me. I didn't feel I was close to the songs (I'm not sure if that makes sense) but I listened to it on the way to the recent Glasgow show and surprised myself by how much I was singing along. Then seeing them performed live clinched it.
AD and ISM are still my joint faves though. It took a while to get into the Tennessee Fire as well.

Angry Ewok

Quotezed is the way that the rest of the world (mostly anyway) pronounces Z, guys....

The rest of the world (mostly) is retarded, though.

--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

suebeeboo

QuoteHow are you people getting zed out of Z. Z is a letter and you pronounce it Z. Slightly confused...

I don't get it either.... ???  I mean, WHAT THE HAIL?!  Isn't that how you pronounce HELL, at least south of the Mason-Dixon line?  Z is Z, and THAT IS THAT!   ;) ;) ;) ;)
other times I can barely see

ali

QuoteThe rest of the world (mostly) is retarded, though.

:-/ riiiight.

sweatboard

"Zed"..........The Hail You Say!!!!!!!!!!!
There's Still Time.........

English

You're absolutely right, the rest of the world must be retarded for letting the US get away with it!
You choose George Bush to be president - good call!
You use on average four times the energy per person than the rest of the world.
You consume three times on average more food than the rest of the world (fatties!).
Mr Bush continues to refuse to ratify world agreemnets on the reduction of green house gasses because it might harm the US economy - we've got news for you, there ain't gonna be an economy if you continue to pump out carbon dioxide the way you're doing - we all go back to basics in about a century (at least our kids and grandkids do!).
You invade Iraq when everyone tells you it will lead to disaster (over a million people parade in the biggest UK demo against it - and go unheard because we have a US loving wanker for a PM), and then wonder where all the extra terrorists are coming from.
And incredibly, when the rest of the world understood that Bin Laden hated Hussain nearly as much as he hated him, the majority of Americans go on believing that the invasion of Iraq was a response to 9/11.
You're right, thank goodness for the US - at least your growing debt to Japan means the empire is beginning to burn itself out.
But hey, you've got some decent bands, so let's forget all that stuff and salute the flag!
Visit my site at:
[url="http://www.darrenbaileypoetry.co.uk/"]http://www.darrenbaileypoetry.co.uk/[/url]

tomEisenbraun

Hey, let's not get personal now.

::)

Seeing as I was, you know, in middle school when Bush was first elected. And what was it, 15 the second time around? I don't necessarily love it, but I couldn't do a whole lot about it.

And I'm still mostly baffled about your retort. I don't know if we come off as pretentious jerks, but we're a pretty tight-knit community who knows how to give eachother hell and laugh about ourselves with it. So either jump in on it and enjoy yourself like the rest of us do, or keep your rants a little more bottled up. You'll find that most of the people here actually feel quite similarly as you do, and that turned out to be a character attack on those here who've somehow now been deemed ignorant by that tirade, than it was a rant against America. Just because we live here doesn't mean we support everything that goes on.

Yeesh.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

SMc55

QuoteHey, let's not get personal now.

::)

Seeing as I was, you know, in middle school when Bush was first elected. And what was it, 15 the second time around? I don't necessarily love it, but I couldn't do a whole lot about it.

And I'm still mostly baffled about your retort. I don't know if we come off as pretentious jerks, but we're a pretty tight-knit community who knows how to give eachother hell and laugh about ourselves with it. So either jump in on it and enjoy yourself like the rest of us do, or keep your rants a little more bottled up. You'll find that most of the people here actually feel quite similarly as you do, and that turned out to be a character attack on those here who've somehow now been deemed ignorant by that tirade, than it was a rant against America. Just because we live here doesn't mean we support everything that goes on.

Yeesh.
I disagree with you there Tom. I've been a member of this tight knit community for a long time and I found Brad's comment spectacularly racist and offensive to me. I think he was asking for it. It was a stereotypical statement from an American as many people in the rest of the world see them. This is really unfortunate because I (and many other 'rest of the worlders') know many who don't fit the stereotype.
It was Brad's bad imo.

tomEisenbraun

The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.