Main Menu

Hiatus

Started by eiseyrokker, Oct 01, 2006, 10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomEisenbraun

I just realized this:

Perhaps in being such a huge nerd about this band, I've lost a lot of what the meanings behind these songs are. Not so much in the fact that the actual meaning in Jim's mind, but I've kind of abused the ability to listen to them a lot to the point where the songs have kind of stopped moving me the way they once did. Don't get me wrong, this band is easily my favorite, but I think I need to rekindle my love, you know?

So here's my idea. And it's drastic and it sucks, and I don't know how in the hell I'll be able to pull it off, but after this weekend (since I'm taking a roadtrip and need these guys to keep me awake) I'm not going to listen to the Jacket til they come to the Ryman.

That'll be just a little over a month away from these guys. And seeing them at the Ryman, it'd be like being away from your wife for a month, and you come back home and she's even more gorgeous than you ever remembered. that's what I'm hoping. We'll see if I can actually do it, but I think I'm almost certain I can, and I know the show will be aboslutely incredible either way.

But I definitely want to hear this band with fresh ears again. And I think it's time to go ahead and do that.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

BH

You won't last a week. ;)
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

ycartrob

I do that. I will listen to something over and over again, put it down and come back to it and it moves me the same as before.

I did that with Z. I put it down for a month or so and came back to it.

(I give 'em 4 days)

And Tom, I'd appreciate you not making references about you being away from my wife and me coming home and shit like that. Pretty weird, but I sort of followed you...

Angry Ewok

I'm gonna bet four days, as well.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

tomEisenbraun

haha, the hardest part will be avoiding Lay Low when it starts really feeling like fall. That song is fall, for me. But when I finally do bust it out, it's going to be incredible. Even if it doesn't last a month, I'm not gonna give in in a week.

jordan

I totally understand.  I'm about to make a roadtrip from California to Kentucky and will definitely need MMJ to get me through, but after that I'm gonna minimize listening to them until the Knoxville show.  I don't want to get to the point where the music just doesn't elicit the same emotion for me.  

ChiefOKONO

i have no idea how you can do this, especially since okonokos just came out!!!

rob

Quotei have no idea how you can do this, especially since okonokos just came out!!!

Yeah Tom.......did you even BUY it?  What's at the bottom of Page 4 in the booklet? Ha-ha.....just kidding. I know what you mean tho.....the more you listen, the more you can tend to sometimes go on auto-pilot, unless you're really concentrating on the sounds and lyrics. I played It Still Moves the other night for the first time in a few months, and it was totally fresh.......unbelievable album.
"demon eyes are watchin' everywhere"

tomEisenbraun

oh i know. i put on ISM on vinyl the other night and was blown away by it again. but i feel like right now i'm just digging for bootlegs like trying to uncover more little unlocked facets of this band. and it's just because i need to scale back on my listening and "get it" again. like, actually really want to listen to The Tennessee Fire and make it all the way through and have it do for me what it hasn't in a very long time. I want to "get" I Think I'm Going To Hell again like it did for the first time. and I just kind of need to renew myself to it.

and robonoko, i couldn't tell you whats at the bottom of page four. i haven't bought the CD. i had to kidn of choose between that and the vinyl this week. so i pre-ordered the vinyl instead.

lame? maybe...but i wanna hear this sucker on vinyl. and loud.

Coltrane

i totally hear you, Tom. although most of those "fall in love again" moments have happened naturally. it happened with the Pixies not long ago. but there's nothing like hearing somethng again for the "first" time.

good luck! in fact, i think i'm going to do this with you! i think i'll put down the Jacket until they return to Philly in December. or at least till a few weeks before the show.

u-n-i-t-y....that spells unity!!!!
....as mayor of Drugachusettes, I declare this pizza to be...AWESOME!!!

Angry Ewok

Quotelame? maybe...but i wanna hear this sucker on vinyl. and loud.

Not lame at all... I decided to do the same thing. I already have the CD from the listening party, I'm getting the DVD - and I'm buying the vinyl.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

aMD

so you're going to get the vinyl and keep it in the plastic?  I don't think you have it in ya.

p.s. I totally agree about laylow

tomEisenbraun

Actually, I just realized that I will have to break this on October 30th, as they're having a screening of Okonokos here in Nashville. So I'm going to do my best to not listen until then. I think I can do it, though I'm going to seriously miss Lay Low for the month of October.

Dang! I guess it'll make it all the sweeter though, eh?

whothrewthecake

tom i wish you well in this endeavor. i know i couldn't make it. you can write my biopic soundtrack in your mmj down time.  ;)

tomEisenbraun

haha, i just need some song titles to start with. i'll write em in my free time. you know, while i'm not writing the greatest album ever written. actually wait, your soundtrack will be the greatest album ever written.

and since I'm already writing you music and everything anways, can we get married while we're at it...?

whothrewthecake

Quotehaha, i just need some song titles to start with. i'll write em in my free time. you know, while i'm not writing the greatest album ever written. actually wait, your soundtrack will be the greatest album ever written.

and since I'm already writing you music and everything anways, can we get married while we're at it...?

hahaha. name the time and place.

i'll be the one in white.

tomEisenbraun

The Ryman, November 13th.

As good a time and place as any, I'd say.

whothrewthecake

let's do it as a publicity stunt for the jacket. first forum marriage! my parents will be thrilled.  :-X

note to readers: we are both much better looking than this. but i like that cake.

red

I don't think I could do a month without the Jacket.  Especially when I'll be seeing them for the first time ever in just over a month.

JacketGal

Quotehaha, the hardest part will be avoiding Lay Low when it starts really feeling like fall. That song is fall, for me. But when I finally do bust it out, it's going to be incredible. Even if it doesn't last a month, I'm not gonna give in in a week.
Funny you say that I was just saying to someone that Z feels like fall to me...especially Gideon.

Good luck to you on your hiatus.

I need some free crack about now....;D
But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.