Think I understand?

Started by LET_THE_FETUS_ROCK, Jan 13, 2007, 12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LET_THE_FETUS_ROCK

WHy this band has not become the biggest thing since Nirvana.

The width and depth of their influences and style is too much for most people to take in.  I feel like each song takes me on a journey through familiar and unknown space with a backbeat groove I can't believe.  

I love when they all groove together with no one soloing and we have a "Jam-along" to finish a song!

Or they send you through some 4 movement JAM  to end a song and you feel like someone shoved you out the door into a hallway and you have no idea where you are.

How jim hides his articulation of syllables in reverb so you have to make up your own idea of meaning.

MMJ fans =  imagination
I will be there when you die!

A_delle

I am TOTALLY with you on this. will you marry me?

I can't belive that out of ALL the music I have ever heard in my life (and I shit y'all NOT to say that I have heard a TON of musical styles...), that these 5 guys (and their crew) give us the best entertainment that there is out there today, and their musical quality/style/"mo-jo" is so complicatedley like a multi-layered onion that most people that hear them do NOT interpret their substance as we, the ever MMJ-enlightened half do... {inhale}

discussion.

A_delle
-i got a fever,
and the only prescription
is more cowbell!

evilPaauwe

yes, i have never understood why the jacket isn't twice as big as they are now. however music like theirs can go can unchecked w/out notice is beyond me. i've always loved music but never even thought of how much i could love the music made by 5 guys so much. from visiting this forum it seems to be that most of the people who like mmj, really, really, really like mmj, we are the fourtunate ones who have discovered them,      and i really, really, really feel bad for the ones who haven't            
cheers.

sweatboard

MMJ fans =  imagination

I think this is a great point.  They won't ALLOW me to get bored of them.  I think My Morning Jacket is an interactive experience.  Just the fact that they encourage people to dress up in experimental outfits and dance like they are on acid is a testament to how much they really love and care about what it is that they are actually doing.  Once you give into this band it seems like they just provide an endless abyss to get lost inside not only their imagination, but to light your own and feel really great about it.  I think the philosophy this band takes on music and life really aligns with a philosophy that I want to embrace.  Having a force out there expressing these things makes me feel a little more at home in the world.  It's like there is this giant beautiful thing out there that sticks up for me, they got my back and I in turn have theirs.  

There's Still Time.........

JacketGal

What great sentiment ya'll. It is posts like these and so many others that really speak to what this band means to each and every one of us. I always say that the music gives me "lift-off" it totally allows me to get outside my physical present and move to an experience that is unique and wonderful - even if I am listening on headphones. Afterward I often feel like crying because I am so moved.  

I especially liked this comment  [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]~

"Or they send you through some 4 movement JAM  to end a song and you feel like someone shoved you out the door into a hallway and you have no idea where you are."

Sooo very true!
But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

megisnotreal

I think in order to "get" this band, you have to appreciate beauty. I'm not talking about simple, superficial appearances--I'm talking about the kind of transcendent beauty that is inherent in everday life. Like the soft brown of dead leaves on the ground, the subtle tones of a summer sunset, the warmth in a stranger's smile... things you see every day (and might even overlook). I think being able to appreciate the beauty of life is key to truly appreciating MMJ.

I was thinking about this yesterday. Every single MMJ song is beautiful--and not on just an aesthetic level. Even the "sadder" songs that make me cry serve as reminders to me: that even in your darkest, saddest hour, there is still light. There's still beauty. A few years ago, I was really depressed and did some stupid selfish shit that almost cost me my life. Every now and then, I'll feel like those heavy feelings of sadness are sort of weighing down on me and suffocating me... but now that I have "found" the Jacket... I just listen to some music and let it envelope me in lightness, hope, and warmth.

Because no matter how bad it gets or how lost you feel, the world is still an overwhelmingly beautiful place. And MMJ's music is, to me, a manefestation of that beauty--of all the things, no matter how big or small--that make life worth living.

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need...

sweatboard

That was VERY well put.  Very beautiful Meg.
There's Still Time.........

A_delle

Because no matter how bad it gets or how lost you feel, the world is still an overwhelmingly beautiful place. And MMJ's music is, to me, a manefestation of that beauty--of all the things, no matter how big or small--that make life worth living.

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need...

I'm hearin ya, too. I can't help but feel hopeful and beautiful and totally unselfconscious when I hear their music, dance to it, watch them play it...

PLUS the inspirational bonus... I have become more artistically free and creative since disovering their music. it is an epiphany for me!

-i got a fever,
and the only prescription
is more cowbell!

ChiefOKONO

Great post.. yes they are sometimes simply too advanced for the mere common folk to really get into he he he!

p.s. sometimes after listening to them i feel like a disoriented drunk lady who just rolled and tumbled out of a bar and into a dark alley in the back of a club.

Chills

Yay Meg, right on.

You gotta admit, besides the daily bullshitting (which I love), once in a while something genuinely profound and touching gets posted here. Which I love even more.

[smiley=thumbup.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif]

megisnotreal