Random reason to love MMJ

Started by JacketGirl, Jan 08, 2007, 03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JacketGal

I was thinking about the lyrics on the reocrd "Sea Change" today. I love this record and it never fails to move me...but it can be very dark, nearly depressing. So it got me thinking about the Jacket and the lyrics & music. Anyway, random thought here...their lyrics are never depressing. As deep and dark as they subject matter can be, there is always something uplifting there, some dream-like quality that says...there is an eternal or alternate existence and the end/reality is not what it seems. Calexico has this quality too.

I almost always feel uplifted by the music and the lyrics...they give me hope.

What is your random reason to love this band?  :)

But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

primushead

I like the thought Jacketgirl, but I think saying that Jim's lyrics are never depressing is a little bit of an overstatement.  I see what you're getting at, as most of the lyrics (even when being written about something sad) have an uplifting take on it.  

But, eh...I think I'm going to hell?  I know he wasn't writing about it from his point of view (according to this is not america) but it is still pretty apocalyptic.  

Shit, I was trying to think of more depressing examples but I really couldn't think of any.  

Touche, Jacketgirl.  Touche.  I retract most of my above statement.   :P

Dee.

My random reason: they have an album for every season. Winter, spring, summer, or fall, all you have to do is call.

JacketGal

Gregg~ I hear what you are saying, I was thinking about Strangulation and Death is the Easy Way. Nope, that's not what I call uplifting. But something about the music, I hate to say it but the way that he sings  ;) ...it makes these issues seem less horrifying!

Deanna~ I like your thinking!  8-)

megisnotreal

my random reason: their sense of humor

colleen

mine: they have a song (or several, depending) that perfectly accompanies many of my moods and most of my activities.
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.

Ghosts_on_TV

Because no other bands music has ever made me feel the way that theirs do.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

aMD

confuseddonkey

the uptunes are always way up.....Dancefloors, Lay Low, WAWM, etc
the tearjerkers do just that.....Strangulation, Dondante, The Bear

and so much more in between

one thing, of many, that MMJ has shown me is that beauty doesnt always have to be pretty
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

confuseddonkey

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

LET_THE_FETUS_ROCK

I totally agree with jacket girl.  THere is a carefree quality to their music and live performance that uplifts the lyrical element. it is a balancing act that they do so well.  Even their darker tunes provide comfort  to the absurd reality that is life. I think this is the most special and timeless quality to their music. It is amazing how they continue to do this without it seeming to be contrived.

That is why I listen to these guys everyday and "seachange" from Beck only every once and a while.

I still can't believe these guys are not universally excepted but I treasure it at the same time.

I would say more but "Gods fingers' choking me"

I will be there when you die!

.Walt

because cobra, can make any girl "back that ass up". also its just a kick ass song.  played by a kick ass band.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

ChiefOKONO

good one Jacketgirl!! :D

my random reason is Jim's dance moves on stage, kicks and all! i love it!!!!

TEO

The intensity of their live performances.
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

JacketGal

Adding another -- the way JJ dances during Wonderful Man!  ;D

ChiefOKONO

I love a good rock n' roll jump like many big bands have done in the past... i don't know why but i always love it and Jim does some awesome ones!  

red

Sometimes it's a particular song or lyric that gets stuck in my head during the course of a regular day.  Sometimes it's something as trivial as Patrick's hair or Jim's beard.

saki

In all of their songs I can find some kind of emotional connection with the song.  I've been finding that that is the reason why I like alot of music.  My bro listens to very instumental bands that are comprised of great musicians who can really tear it up on the guitar but when it all comes down to it I can't get into something just because the musicians are amazing.  Plus, it has to have some kind of uniqueness to it.  Something that sets them apart from everybody else.  This band has that perhaps moreso than any band out there today because they're so damn versatile...

And also that voice...

saki

I just read the topic carefully...I guess that wasn't a random reason but moreso the sole reason...........hmmmmm...................

I can't think of a random reason