Best Performance by Each Band Member

Started by The_DARK, Feb 25, 2007, 11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The DARK

They either have to have performed it on the original album or live since then. Only current band members.

Jim: Sooner- Some frontmen have stunning voices and can play scorching guitar solos, but very few can play the omnichord like he does on this song!

Tommy: It Beats 4 U- Just listening to the Okonokos version makes me realize how truly underrated of a bassist his. He's just as good as Jim is at playing his instrument.

Patrick: Phone Went West- He's done a lot of great work over the years, but the "stutter-step" beat of this song takes the cake for me.

Carl: Dondante- Hopefully we'll see some more sax out of him in the future!

Bo: Anytime- Bo has a field day with synths and traditional piano here.
In another time, in another place, in another face

Angry Ewok

Carl blows my mind left and right... from the steel, to the sax, to the guitar, and now vocals? I'll vote I Think I'm Going To Hell, but Dondante, They Ran (Redux), and several other songs spring to mind immediately.

--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

DaFunkyPrecedent

Jim - What a wonderful man (guitar) - you can tell he loves playing this song live.
Jim - Phone Went West (vocals) simply take me away
Pat - Run Thru - i love watching him on this song
Carl - Anytime - I feel like this is more of carls song than anyone elses.  
Bo - Lay Low - hard keyboards. love it!
Two Tone Tommy - I Beats 4 U - what was said before.  fuckin love watching him play this bass heavy song!
Jim and Carl - One Big Holiday - I mean, that jam...come on! is that for real?
cool post btw.
God damn those shaky knees.

dragonboy

Two Tone Tommy as 'Shady' Jake McGraw:

Patrick Hallahan as 'third man in barn':

Jim James as The Stranger:

Bo Koster as Big Ralph MacNeil:

Carl Broemel as 'tall man at poker table':

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

EC

Patrick: Phone Went West- He's done a lot of great work over the years, but the "stutter-step" beat of this song takes the cake for me.

i can't think too well right now, but...  (oh man am i forgetting?)  i don't think patrick drummed on that album.

do you mean the live verz?
i might be forgetting, though..

aMD

i can't think too well right now, but...  (oh man am i forgetting?)  i don't think patrick drummed on that album.

You're right, Meg, J Glenn was drumming on the album version, not Patrick.

aMD

Okay, my turn, good idea for a thread, but it's a tough one.  I'd be very interested to hear what each band member would say is their best performance.  Here we go:

Jim (vocals) - The Bear
Jim (guitar) - War Began (Live solo (see 10-27-00)) / One Big Holiday
Carl (guitar) - Gideon / One Big Holiday (live versions of course)
Tommy - They ran (album version) / Run Thru
Bo - Mahgeeta (live versions of course)
Patrick - Run Thru
Johnny Quaid - The Way That He Sings / Mahgeeta
Jim & Johnny dueling guitar solos - Honest Man / Tyrone
Jim & Carl dueling guitar solos - LayLow

I know you said current members only, but I had to throw Mr. Quaid some much deserve love.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Bo Koster - Dirty Dancing 2: Havana Nights
"[Adrien Brody] is a big hip-hop fan and plans on becoming a producer. He is being mentored by RZA."

Dorothy_Mantooth

"[Adrien Brody] is a big hip-hop fan and plans on becoming a producer. He is being mentored by RZA."

The DARK

I mean the live version. Patrick didn't join until after At Dawn was releasesd. Actually, I think that KC Guetig did the drums for At Dawn, not J Glenn. Either way, the drums there aren't nearly as good as Patrick does them live.

aMD

I mean the live version. Patrick didn't join until after At Dawn was releasesd. Actually, I think that KC Guetig did the drums for At Dawn, not J Glenn. Either way, the drums there aren't nearly as good as Patrick does them live.

Nope, wrong again. J Glenn drummed on At Dawn.  KC Guetig was the drummer when the album was released, but did not record the album with them. The only studio material Guetig appears on is the Split EP (released in 2002, after At Dawn (Glenn) and before It Still Moves(Patrick)).  Check the linear notes if you'd like, but I know I'm right.

EAZYE

I painted my name on the back of a leaf
and I watched it float away

peanut butter puddin surprise

Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

The DARK

Nope, wrong again. J Glenn drummed on At Dawn.  KC Guetig was the drummer when the album was released, but did not record the album with them. The only studio material Guetig appears on is the Split EP (released in 2002, after At Dawn (Glenn) and before It Still Moves(Patrick)).  Check the linear notes if you'd like, but I know I'm right.
You are. Thanks for the correction.

sweatboard

Jim-Vocals, I Needed It Most, Studio Version.
There's Still Time.........

meetinthehollows

Jim - His vocals on the jam at the end of They Ran on the previous tour were unreal.

Carl - Dondante's sax solo or his use of a slide on either I Think I'm Going to Hell and Strangulation.

Bo - Both keyboard jams at the end of They Ran and Steam Engine

Patrick - Still can't get over It Beats 4 U

Tommy - Wordless Chorus' bass line is so intricate.  Still my favorite bassline they have.

Dorothy_Mantooth

aw, john... at least one person understands me and my need to advertise Bo's undeniable talent.

saki

Jim - I Needed It Most - maybe not the prettiest, but the most passionate

Carl - Dondante sax solo or Laylow guitar solo

Patrick - It Beats For You or Wordless Chorus (simple yet deceptively hard)

Tommy - It Beats For You

Bo - Knot Comes Lose

Dorothy_Mantooth

Dorothy_Mantooth

better check out those missing scenes + director's commentary.