Main Menu

How?

Started by true, Mar 09, 2007, 11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManNamedTruth

When someone asks you what MMJ sound like, how do you explain? I have trouble with this. I usually mention all their albums sound different but thats not really helping...One time I was drunk, I think I said they were southern rock. I know damn well thats not true but I didn't feel like getting more specific on account of the drunk thing.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

.Walt

great question, cause their both soft and hard (not a penis joke) when it comes to rocking. i really have a tough time with this as well.  :-/
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

ManNamedTruth

I get this question a lot cause I'm always talking about them and wearing their merchandise and whatnot.

vespachick

I would explain that it is sort of like the first time you kissed someone you thought you might like, and how your head would reel and then you would keep trying even though you didn't understand it so much, and then you got it, and then you find you can't get enough of it, and then you obsess about what you should have done better the first time, what you wouldn't have done, or what you should be doing.  And then you post.
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

.Walt

QuoteWhen someone asks you what MMJ sound like, how do you explain? I have trouble with this. I usually mention all their albums sound different but thats not really helping...One time I was drunk, I think I said they were southern rock. I know damn well thats not true but I didn't feel like getting more specific on account of the drunk thing.

are you the same way i am, when you're at the bars and you gotta little sauce in yah,  you try to tell everyone you meet about the jacket? cause i do that shit all the time.

ManNamedTruth

QuoteWhen someone asks you what MMJ sound like, how do you explain? I have trouble with this. I usually mention all their albums sound different but thats not really helping...One time I was drunk, I think I said they were southern rock. I know damn well thats not true but I didn't feel like getting more specific on account of the drunk thing.

are you the same way i am, when you're at the bars and you gotta little sauce in yah,  you try to tell everyone you meet about the jacket? cause i do that shit all the time.
Maybe not everyone...but close. At the bar I go to they have one of those digital jukebox's that you can download songs. I rock out MMJ every night I'm there. Most people comment on my shirt and hoodie though and don't realize how much I play em there. The jukebox is the best way I can get people to hear what they sound like. Force them on it. The only thing is it doesn't have At Dawn or TTF along with a lot of other indie label stuff.

.Walt

i've never heard of that kind of jukebox, thats a great idea. my co workers are starting to get pissed are me, because i play at least one or two discs a night. i told them i would stop for two weeks, if they could sing a whole song.

The DARK

Describe them as One Big Holiday.
In another time, in another place, in another face

BH

I always say it's like that moment during Wish You Were Here when the lyrics kick in with "We're just two lost souls swimmin' in fishbowl." and you get that chill that crawls up from your gut and swims right up your neck.  

It's like that.

For the whole CD.  

All of 'em.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

sweatboard

QuoteI always say it's like that moment during Wish You Were Here when the lyrics kick in with "We're just two lost souls swimmin' in fishbowl." and you get that chill that crawls up from your gut and swims right up your neck.  

It's like that.

For the whole CD.  

All of 'em.

Perfecto.
There's Still Time.........

ratsprayer

you just say this:

"really good music can't be explained, it has to be heard."

and there you go.

.Walt

Quoteyou just say this:

and there you go.

so true!

ManNamedTruth

Quoteyou just say this:

and there you go.
best answer so far, i'll keep this one in mind.

ratsprayer

i think it is a good answer albeit an easy one.  music on its purest level is something we hear, not something we talk or write about, that comes later.  i have a hard time talking about a lot of my favourite bands, partially because they're a bit fucking weird, but mostly because they usually have a unique sound, and even though i do it a lot, i think it's lazy to compare one band to another.  my unwritten rule for describing a band to someone is to use at least 5 adjectives.

Capt Tink TANK

ycartrob

Quotei think it is a good answer albeit an easy one.  music on its purest level is something we hear, not something we talk or write about, that comes later.  i have a hard time talking about a lot of my favourite bands, partially because they're a bit fucking weird, but mostly because they usually have a unique sound, and even though i do it a lot, i think it's lazy to compare one band to another.  my unwritten rule for describing a band to someone is to use at least 5 adjectives.

and to drive home Rats' point a bit, watch the scene from the movie Children of A Lesser God when William Hurt is trying to make Marlee Matlin (who is deaf) understand why he likes Bach so much. Pretty moving scene.

MMJ_fanatic

Like everything you could ever want from a musical group
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

rugbird

Power and Beauty.

Or

Propulsive and Pastoral.

kyjed48

Just simply tell them, "they're the only band that matters."  My brother tells everyone that, and it seems to get the point across.
[url="//myspace.com/mybrotherbenjamin"]myspace.com/mybrotherbenjamin[/url]

ManNamedTruth

QuoteJust simply tell them, "they're the only band that matters."  My brother tells everyone that, and it seems to get the point across.
No one had been given that status since The Clash, until now.