Lil Billy (Live Nashvegas) on the demos package

Started by George_Savage, Jun 05, 2007, 03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George_Savage

I got my CD from Darla yesterday (it got here earlier than I thought!) and that recording of Lil Billy is indeed a recording that I made.   I probably wrote about it back in '02 when I followed them around and gave them my 'travelling adventures' stories.    That version, for the completists, was recorded at Exit/In, Nashville, Tennessee, on January 24, 2002.   They were opening up for a band from SC, but their name escapes me.  It seems like 'Blue' was in their name, possibly?  
          Anyway, I will send this to someone if it's not already out there (if you want it up on the server).  They only played 45 minutes.   I had seen Jim the night before in Bloomington - he played solo up there, and it's still to this date one of the most phenomenal musical performances I've witnessed.   MMJ came out the next night wearing suits!   I wish I'd had a camera.   I was there with my cousin and her husband.   I was in the back at first, and the crowd was sparse.  I ended up going down near the front after a song or three.   Lil Billy was the last song of the night.  
Mike M, their manager, saw me recording and asked me about it.  I told him that I had permission and he said 'okay'.   It was a memorable night, to be sure.   It's still hard for me to believe that they used it, in a way!  It's not exactly a stellar recording, as none of mine tend to be that great.   Maybe they figured it didn't have to be pristine since these others were 'demos' as well.  
              That L. O. Z. intro thing - they used that during the beginning of some of the June 2002 shows.  I particularly remember that they played it at the beginning of the June 11, 2002 show in Dallas.  And they went into 'At Dawn', which opened the show.   I am planning on using that for my 'At Dawn' live thing that I have had plans to put together for two or three years!   I need to get a couple of shows before I can complete it.   I need, for instance, that Dallas show from last November when he sang "I Needed it Most".  Holler if you can help.  Thanks to the boys, they are incredible people and amazing artists!

Low Dog
"any time your war gets out of hand I'll take it on"

BH

YO!  George. What's up.

I'm not sure if you are wanting only recordings from shows you have seen, and that's why you picked Dallas, but they played it four times this past tour.

11-16-06 Dallas
12-1-06 Philadelphia (This is a radio broadcast and probably the best sound. Not positive.  I will have to get the CD's out and check.)
12-29-06 San Francisco (First night of New Year's Run)
1-8-07 Seattle

I think I have all of these.  (Not sure about Seattle) I would be glad to send you a copy of any of them.   Let me know.

Thanks for the detail on the Lil Billy!

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Magnix

George and others,
The January 24, 2002 show will be up at the Archive in due time. If that's OK with you of course, George? I also plan to upload more of your recordings if you don't mind (I was going to contact you about that anyways)!? Just uploaded MMJ's first appearance at KCRW on October 22, 2001 (see The Tapings section), and next up should be a recording of the October 24, 2001 show at Rubber Gloves in Denton TX. I have to to go back in my archive to see who recorded that. My memory says it was George ...?

By the way, on January 24, 2002, MMJ was opening for The Blue Dogs and it was only few days before they did a short tour as openers for Eyes Adrift. All this information is available at my live archive ...

Take care.

George_Savage

QuoteGeorge and others,
The January 24, 2002 show will be up at the Archive in due time. If that's OK with you of course, George? I also plan to upload more of your recordings if you don't mind (I was going to contact you about that anyways)!? Just uploaded MMJ's first appearance at KCRW on October 22, 2001 (see The Tapings section), and next up should be a recording of the October 24, 2001 show at Rubber Gloves in Denton TX. I have to to go back in my archive to see who recorded that. My memory says it was George ...?

By the way, on January 24, 2002, MMJ was opening for The Blue Dogs and it was only few days before they did a short tour as openers for Eyes Adrift. All this information is available at my live archive ...

Take care.

Thanks for the information, Ger - I thought that the band had 'blue' in it, I had forgotten their exact name.   We left after a couple of their songs.  I remember that Eyes Adrift tour as well - saw that in Dallas on Feb. 5.   Feel free to use any of my recordings that you care to put up; no, I didn't tape that Oct. 24, 2001 show - saw them for the first time on Oct. 25, 2001.  And you sent me that Oct. 24 show later on.  I did see them again at Rubber Gloves on March 15, 2002, and that's a decent recording and a great show.   Jim threw bread into the audience and had given the other band members 'super hero' nicknames.  He was Constricto and the others were: Black Box, Torso, Window, and Disappearo.  It was funny.  

Low Dog
"just as my neighbor can't fathom anyone challenging his 'WHY AREN'T YOU SAVED?' bumper sticker, I think:  Just who are these skeptics kidding?  Is it just not plainly obvious that My Morning Jacket is the greatest band in the world?" - William Bowers, 2003

Magnix

Thanks for the "go" on using your recordings! To be honest, I had not expected you would disagree ;-) You have been very generous in the past by sending your recordings!

And indeed you're not the taper of the 10/24/2001 Denton TX show, I found information on how I got it (from Riny van E., who got it from Chris G., who got it from ?; the taper maybe?; anyhow, the taper is a guy called Denison W.)
Also, while looking for this information, I came across your very first post to the My Morning Jacket mailing list! November 9, 2001 it was. Those were the days  :)

Magnix

By the way, George, I had included the Lil Billy version of your 1/24/2002 recording as well on the compilation I sent Darla.

For those of you who haven't fully read the other thread about the demos disc (http://www.mymorningjacket.com/cgi-local/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1179159742), that compilation was a 2-disc set with a total of 23 versions of that one song, all taken from my archive (and all to be available as part of the Magnix My Morning Jacket Live Recordings Archive - check The Tapings section of this board for all info on that).
After listening, the 2 Meter Session version was supposed to be on the final disc. It took a while, but Darla managed to get a recording from the 2 Meter people (instead of my FM copies, which can be found over at the Live Music Archive - again, check The Tapings section). However, as we all know now, it was replaced by the 'Live Nashvegas' version, because (as Chandra from Darla wrote when I asked) "We did finally get the 2 Meter version of Lil Billy, but Jim liked another one better, [...]."

aMD

QuoteThanks for the "go" on using your recordings! To be honest, I had not expected you would disagree ;-) You have been very generous in the past by sending your recordings!

And indeed you're not the taper of the 10/24/2001 Denton TX show, I found information on how I got it (from Riny van E., who got it from Chris G., who got it from ?; the taper maybe?; anyhow, the taper is a guy called Denison W.)
Also, while looking for this information, I came across your very first post to the My Morning Jacket mailing list! November 9, 2001 it was. Those were the days  :)

I think Chris did a lot of his own taping in those days. anyway, he kept up with the recordings more than anyone.  his collection is one of the uncovered treasures of mmj material.  he has a video of his senior recital which included performances by jim and was followed by a kick ass full band concert, he has a video he showed one time of behind the scenes type stuff from the 2001 american tour that he edited, he has video of the infamous derby 2001 show that featured basketball uniforms, guitars on fire, and tommy singing!  and those are just a few of the gems that I know of.  i'd really like to crack that vault one day!

Kory

QuoteThanks for the "go" on using your recordings! To be honest, I had not expected you would disagree ;-) You have been very generous in the past by sending your recordings!

I think Chris did a lot of his own taping in those days. anyway, he kept up with the recordings more than anyone.  his collection is one of the uncovered treasures of mmj material.  he has a video of his senior recital which included performances by jim and was followed by a kick ass full band concert, he has a video he showed one time of behind the scenes type stuff from the 2001 american tour that he edited, he has video of the infamous derby 2001 show that featured basketball uniforms, guitars on fire, and tommy singing!  and those are just a few of the gems that I know of.  i'd really like to crack that vault one day!

Ummm... how do we crack that vault? I salivating at some of those show you mentioned...
Visit [url="http://www.37flood.com"]http://www.37flood.com[/url] for Louisville music news.
Also, [url="http://www.koryjohnsonphotography.com"]http://www.koryjohnsonphotography.com[/url]

mjkoehler

umm I can provide Jagerbombs and or free dog/cat food if that will help. I would love to hear and see that.

aMD

Ummm... how do we crack that vault? I salivating at some of those show you mentioned...

i guess someone could email him and see where he stands with it.  i don't have his email or current phone number though.  ger, you got an email for guetig?