OBH on Conan appreciation thread!

Started by JacketGirl, Aug 20, 2007, 09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JacketGal

But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

getinthevan

Agreed.  I'm not sure that I've seen Conan that excited about any other band after their performance.
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

dragonboy

Never does & never will fail to impress.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Sleazy Rider

I have that on my ipod and it is what I use to show people MMJ. I also use ACL Dondante because it's so fuckin' passionate.
Politics. It's a drag. They put one foot in the grave, and the other on The Flag.

.Walt

just recently i told a buddy about MMJ, and he looked them up on his own.  he came back saying that he watched the conan vid and was amazed. chalk another one up for the boys.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

.Walt

most of my family lives in milwaukee, so i played the OBH on Conan for my parents. we were going to milwaukee for thanksgiving and it just so happened that my favorite band was playing there. BUT a day before we were going. i tried to tell my parents, that i had to go, (they said no) and then i played this video for them. my mom said things like this  "is he not wearing any shoes, is he from the 60's?", and "i can't even see his face". then my dad stepped in and said "wow! long hair down to their asses, just like "my people" in the 60's" and the magic words "you'll be able to see them". my roommate came with me to spend a week in milwaukee, and a week with my family just so he could see them, wow what a fan. while there, i have never been to a show that meant so much to me as this one! thank you OBH on Conan!!

my brother who dropped us off and picked us up, said what are you guys going to do there? i had no idea, so i said love every moment!!.....................and i did!

thats me in the "box seats" to the left, looking down at carl! i couldn't get better seats  if i tried! (i'm the only one you can actually see) i'm in the black sweatshirt

TEO

"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

dragonboy

Great story Capt, pleased they let you go  :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

.Walt

QuoteGreat story Capt, pleased they let you go  :)

i really think it was the "hair down to their asses" that did it. thank you dad! it seems that every time that i go to see my family in milwaukee, i see a great concert. Phil Lesh and Friends 05, MMJ 06 and KOL 07!

JacketGal

QuoteGreat story Capt, pleased they let you go  :)

i really think it was the "hair down to their asses" that did it. thank you dad! it seems that every time that i go to see my family in milwaukee, i see a great concert. Phil Lesh and Friends 05, MMJ 06 and KOL 07!

That is a wonderful story Cap'n Tripps. I love that comment from your Dad too.  I think this band brings out the best in people.
But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

George_Savage

I remember that it was upcoming on Conan, and of course I made sure to watch and tape it.   At that time, I only got the broadcast channels on a semi-crappy cable, but they repeated Conan at that time on Comedy Central, so I quickly had a good satellite copy of it.   I had to work at 8 AM the next day (as I am sure that many of us did), but it was worth it to stay up 'til 12:30 AM and check them out.   I loved the camera-work, and the Johnny/Jim solos - obviously, the major drawback was that they had to cut some of the song short due to time constraints.  At that time, I believe, this forum was fairly small and quaint group.  It is my belief that Conan really propelled the group's stature and exposure to the world.   I may be repeating myself, but I have always viewed this as equivalent (though on a much smaller scale) to The Beatles' Ed Sullivan appearance.   There is a clip during The Beatles Anthology DVD that they use of Brian Epstein (their manager at the time) talking about how he viewed that Ed Sullivan performance as the point during which everything just became Crazy.   I believe that date is February 9, 1964, I'm almost certain that they arrived in The States for the first time on Feb. 7, '64.  Anyway, I've always thought of that initial Conan performance as a changing of the guard, so to speak.   MMJ had Arrived, and they just continue to keep gathering new legions of fanatics, as they should.   Long live MMJ and the tapers and traders.

Yer pal,
Low Dog