'At Dawn' flawed masterpiece..

Started by fortbethel, Jul 22, 2007, 05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sleazy Rider

PWW is more than just a song on AD. It's one of the songs that when I first discovered MMJ I learned, is more of an anthem to celebrate your love of
The Jacket through. It;s up there on that spiritual level of listen with Steam Engine, IMO. It always appears on the mixes I make when converting non-believers.

As for giving Jim your critique of his art, you would have earned your flogging.
Politics. It's a drag. They put one foot in the grave, and the other on The Flag.

the_wizzard

Art is a creative expression of one's inner vision.  It is highly personal, yet subjective.  As a fan, I appreciate MMJ sharing their talent.  I may not always get something right away, and after being turned onto Chocolate and Ice 4 or 5 years ago, I really appreciate the many levels that exists in each song and album.  I discover something new that I just adore on a regular basis.  This is just my experience.  But I totally love exploring the many layers, and finding new appreciation for songs and licks and lyrics and variations.  

Oh, and Strangulation totally rocks.  And Phone Went West...I love that song too.  At Dawn is the result of something inside Jim James that he shares through music.  And to me, music is what connects us to the universe.  Sound waves affect us on a physical and mental level.  I guess that explains all of our passion for music (again IMO).

CT90CT

Cmon now XMas Curtain has whale like sounds in it, how can you not love it?

katkillad

strangulation is a masterpiece in itself...  >:(

The last few lines gives me chills everytime.  I'm sorry you don't appreciate it.  That song might be in my top 3.

BH

I used to not be a huge fan of Xmas Curtain, but that has changed recently.  Now it's one of my favorites, especially live.  I think the change actually started after seeing it Siouxtribe style!

But the other three songs are just the pinnacle of At Dawn perfection.   It's as if an angel descended from above and left the music behind in sparkledust that landed on Jim's head and hands. Those three songs might just be the greatest pieces of music that have ever been recorded in the history of mankind. (With the except of that one Tenacious D song).  IMO.

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

mjkoehler

But the other three songs are just the pinnacle of At Dawn perfection.   It's as if an angel descended from above and left the music behind in sparkledust that landed on Jim's head and hands. Those three songs might just be the greatest pieces of music that have ever been recorded in the history of mankind. (With the except of that one Tenacious D song).  IMO.

That is poetry theres. It's as if those same angels sprinkled the same sparkledust on you while writing that.

songdiver

Anybody who thinks Phone Went West or Strangulation should not be on At Dawn have seriously not really listened to this album properly.  I admit, at first I wasn't thrilled with a lot of the songs at the end of the album, but if you listen to the whole album and really focus, the end of the album is arguably even more effective than the beginning.  If you really need help, take some mushrooms and give it a chance; These two songs are possibly the best.
"where we are, in the blink of an eye you get several meanings"

ycartrob

Quote If you really need help, take some mushrooms and give it a chance;

but you say that about everything...

Jaimoe

I actually think all four of their studio albums are flawed masterpieces.

TEO

I sure hope the next album is as "flawed" as all the others!   ;)
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

bo dereks tits

QuoteLemme say I luv AD as it is but if I COULD take one song of it would be Honest Man and add it to ISM.I just think it messes up the flow of the album.IMO.I still like the song.

Amen brother.  Honest Man is the one and only reason that At Dawn finishes in second place just behind Tennessee Fire as the best MMJ album.

and as for you sir.......CUT STRANGULATION?@!?!!?!   That's BLASPHEMY!

The DARK

I agree that it is not as tight as, say Z or It Still Moves. But that's really what makes it so great. Whenever I try to cut off some songs, it ends up sounding incomplete. Without Phone Went West, it loses some of it's flavor. Without Strangulation, it almost sounds too mellow. And Xmas Curtain sounds born to follow Honest Man. The only two songs that could have been cut were Just Because I Do and I Needed It Most, and those two songs are too good to be left off. Besides, At Dawn could never work as an album like Z. It needs to sound open and sprawling like it does. Kinda like Daydream Nation did. And Cobra would sound completely out of place on the album (and don't you even think about editing it!) At Dawn is untouchable!

Unless, of course, you wanted to add Chills.  ;)
In another time, in another place, in another face

The DARK

fortbethel, maybe this'll change your mind about strangulation:

http://www.archive.org/details/mmj2000-01-26.clublek

:)

ManNamedTruth

QuoteLemme say I luv AD as it is but if I COULD take one song of it would be Honest Man and add it to ISM.I just think it messes up the flow of the album.IMO.I still like the song.

Amen brother.  Honest Man is the one and only reason that At Dawn finishes in second place just behind Tennessee Fire as the best MMJ album.

i would rate TTF as my least favorite, but thats just my opinion i guess.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

aMD

I love honest man but I agree with jellyfish that it really doesn't fit on AD.  I wish they would have saved it and properly rocked it out on ISM like they did with One Big Holiday.

I also think that ISM was too massive. If it were me I would have saved honest man for ISM bumped  about 4 of the songs and saved them for another album.  But Jim's obviously got the masterplan and he doesn't seem to need any help.

As for TTF being someone least favorite, wtf?  are you kidding?  i didn't think it was possible.

The DARK

I love honest man but I agree with jellyfish that it really doesn't fit on AD.  I wish they would have saved it and properly rocked it out on ISM like they did with One Big Holiday.

I also think that ISM was too massive. If it were me I would have saved honest man for ISM bumped  about 4 of the songs and saved them for another album.  But Jim's obviously got the masterplan and he doesn't seem to need any help.

As for TTF being someone least favorite, wtf?  are you kidding?  i didn't think it was possible.

In the words of my English teacher, nothing can be "more perfect" than something else. And all the Jacket albums seem to be pretty darn perfect...

Therefore Z=ISM=AD=TTF.

ManNamedTruth

I love all 4 full length albums and don't consider them to be "flawed", but if i had to choose the order would go:
1. Z
2. At Dawn
3. It Still Moves
4. The Tennessee Fire
That doesn't mean that i don't like TTF
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

ItsAllSticky

I agree 100%....STRANGULATION SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the song Jim should have put there instead....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_PFmVihUok

Hey meg, I'm just gonna find a cash machine ; )

mjkoehler

uhh yeah. So I have not listened to Jacket for at least a month. Wanted to take a break so when I listen again it's fresh and i can enjoy it like it's a new girlfriend. So I listened to At Dawn when running today. Listen to Strangulation with some really good earphones. Is it me or during the first verse there is a old school ticking clock in the background??