If They Could Cover an Album

Started by Bam_Bam, Oct 11, 2007, 02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The DARK

I don't picture it getting any better than this, folks.
In another time, in another place, in another face

sweatboard

There's Still Time.........

the_wizzard

This was a Phish tradition...one that I never saw but many of my friends did (and the reviews are overwhelmingly epic).

From www.phish.net:

"Album Costumes: Halloween shows became epic in 1994. For four years (1994, 1995, 1996, and 1998), Phish performed three-set shows on Halloween, with the second set being a live performance of an entire album by another band, "musical costumes" which were initially selected by vote.

Vote: In the summer of 1994, via a radio interview, Phish announced that they would take votes from phans about what album to play for the second set of Halloween of that year. The Beatles' White Album won by a long shot, though with only circa 50 votes (and there were reportedly very few votes overall). The voting was repeated but fudged for 1995: Frank Zappa's Joe's Garage got the most votes, but with insanely complex overdubs, potentially offensive lyrics, and several tunes (esp. Watermelon in Easter Hay) that Zappa had requested never be performed live again, the band (after learning a considerable amount of it) decided they just couldn't make it sound like it should and chose to instead play Quadrophenia (which reportedly came in second in the voting). (Thanks to Gordon <gfromm19@theramp.net> 9/27/98 and others.)"

They did the two shows listed above as well as Talking Heads' "Remain in Light" in 1996 and Velvet Underground's "Loaded" in 1998.  All excellent choices.  They also incorporated many songs from these albums as part of their repertoire (nothing like a little "While My Guitar Gently Weeps").

Phish is still the best cover band, IMHO.  But I am waiting for MMJ to take the throne  ;)

aMD

blaspheme.

mmj does the best covers ever.  may i refer you to this:
http://www.mymorningjacket.com/cgi-local/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1154140025

compare apples to apples and listen to mmj's and phish versions of loving cup...

not that phish doesn't do great covers, the only time i saw them they did a great version of rock n roll by velvet underground and the halloween tradition was great.

mtv2 use to have a program where a band would cover an entire album by another artist.  the only one i saw was guster doing the violent femmes self titled album.  fantastic.  

Angry Ewok

A year or so ago I said Ziggy Stardust would be awesome by MMJ... I stick with that despite my previous post.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

BH

I'm going to have to go with Meddle.  Just the thought of Jim doing Fearless gives me goosebumps.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

The DARK

QuoteWhat album is that?

Music from Big Pink (The Band)
In another time, in another place, in another face

the_wizzard

Quoteblaspheme.

mmj does the best covers ever.  may i refer you to this:
http://www.mymorningjacket.com/cgi-local/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1154140025

compare apples to apples and listen to mmj's and phish versions of loving cup...

not that phish doesn't do great covers, the only time i saw them they did a great version of rock n roll by velvet underground and the halloween tradition was great.

mtv2 use to have a program where a band would cover an entire album by another artist.  the only one i saw was guster doing the violent femmes self titled album.  fantastic.  

oh no, not blasphemy, just my (humble) opinion.   ;)

I have heard both versions and rock out to both (granted, I have seen Phish play it live, but not MMJ, just recordings....nonetheless, it is an epic song played well by both).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3fdnEiNMBQ

but we must agree that "Sneakin' Sally" (Robert Palmer) was pretty keen...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-8DdSeiZJg

as was "Also Sprach Zarathustra" (Deodato).....
*this is part 2...9 minutes in btw  :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsJwmbRRdoQ

But you missed my subtle disclaimer at the end!  I was there on NYE and had my mind blown away (obviously not by just the choices of covers...but again, pretty fucking keen).

Both bands are amazing in my eyes and by no means is it an apples to apples comparison.  I cannot compare the 2 except for a couple things....

They both create beautiful music (with their own unique sound)
They both have loyal and passionate fans
They both know how to put on a fucking SHOW
They both have the best lights going on
They allow recordings (note to band...tape those sound boards and put them on the website for a fee....pretty please)
They both make me happy.....

And, I have many years of MMJ love to look forward to, and well Phish...story is over  :-/ :-/ :-/ (?)

ManNamedTruth

QuoteWhat album is that?

I thought he was joking. Maybe not?
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Hawkeye

QuoteHow about "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere" by Neil and Crazy Horse.  I could see some badass dueling solos with Jim and Carl on Cinnamon Girl and Down by the River........  I'm not so sure Bo would be real keen on those Pantera "keyboard" solos.

Yes!  What he said
We could.

sweatboard

QuoteWhat album is that?

I thought he was joking. Maybe not?

Sadly, I wasn't.  I've seen the last Waltz but the only music I have is all been downloaded.  I've seen a couple album covers at the record store but never that one.

I would like MMJ to cover the Last Waltz and pick other artist to cover Dylan, Young, Van, Joni, etc. etc.  That would be a GREAT halloween show.

thatswhatshesaid

Blind Melon - Soup. that would rock the fuck out!

red

I'd love to hear Jim take this one on solo:

thatswhatshesaid

QuoteI would go w/ working man's dead by the grateful dead.  
track listing:
# "Uncle John's Band" – 4:45
# "High Time" – 5:14
# "Dire Wolf" – 3:14
# "New Speedway Boogie" – 4:06
# "Cumberland Blues" (Garcia, Hunter, Lesh) – 3:16
# "Black Peter" – 5:43
# "Easy Wind" (Hunter) – 4:58
# "Casey Jones" – 4:38

holy shit. my favorite dead album covered by MMJ. there arent words to describe it.

the_wizzard

so this idea has been in my mind for the past few days....many, many albums that i love have gone thru my noggin'...

I have to go with 2 choices...both would be epic (IMHO)

American Beauty (i would melt hearing jim on ripple)

And Inspiration Information (Strawberry Letter 23 = yumminess)

getinthevan

QuoteBlind Melon - Soup. that would rock the fuck out!

Agreed.
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

MMJ_fanatic

Ho about "Clouds Taste Metallic"?  
Or, better yet, "Obscured by Clouds"?
Any album from The Band
"The Who Sellout"
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

sweatboard