Pulse of the Twin Cities

Started by LaurieBlue, Oct 28, 2005, 06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieBlue

http://www.pulsetc.com/article.php?sid=2119

My Morning Jacket: Chilly in the Dawn
Thursday 27 October @ 18:37:57  
by Rob van Alstyne

In the past My Morning Jacket's music always seemed to be floating in the ether. It was a sound defined by the high end—the lonesome thickly reverb-coated wail of singer/guitarist Jim James, celestial warped keyboard passages, lithe guitar lines—rather than the low. All of that has changed with Z, the Louisville, Kentucky-based group's fourth album, and the one in which the long-haired-foot-stomping-friendly-quartet finally connect fully with the soulful bottom end heretofore given short shrift on most of their tunes. The Neil Young meets Radiohead comparisons bandied about in regards to previous critically acclaimed albums like the sprawling At Dawn (2001) no longer apply—at least not without mentioning that they've thrown a little bit of Prince and D'Angelo into the mix.

From the opening amniotic bass thump of "Wordless Chorus" it's clear that James and his reconfigured band—which, in addition to mainstays Patrick Hallahan on drums and bassist Two Tone Tommy, now features new guitarist Carl Broemel and keyboardist Bo Koster—have succumbed to the power of groove and don't plan on letting go anytime soon.

There's always been a good bit of chunky soul in MMJ's Americana music stew—as anyone who's heard their captivating, straight-ahead take on Erykah Baduh's "Call Tyrone" will readily attest—but the boys sound downright giddy at letting this aspect of their sound come to the fore on roughly one-third of Z. The vibe of the proceedings is polished; the group recorded in a real studio with a bonafide producer—John Leckie who's had his hand in everything from George Harrison's All Things Must Pass to Radiohead's The Bends—behind the boards for the first time in their career. Musical concision was clearly the order of the day. Z is two songs and a whopping 24 minutes lighter than its predecessor, 2003's major label debut It Still Moves, and with the exception of rambling eight and a half-minute album closer "Dondante," this set of songs focuses on taut, austere arrangements set to more traditional running times.

From the reggae-friendly party jam "Off the Record" to the album's lone misstep—the creepy carnival waltz "Into the Woods"—it's clear that My Morning Jacket approached the creation of Z without a safety net. There's plenty here to tie the band to their past records—the joyous barroom crunch of "What A Wonderful Man" feels like the sequel to "Just Because I Do," and the acoustic swoon of "Knot Comes Loose," apart from its decidedly slicker sonic sheen, wouldn't have sounded out of place on the group's debut album—but there are also numerous bold steps into previously unexplored terrain.

The band didn't really have a choice in the matter. The January 2004 exodus of keyboardist Danny Cash and guitarist Johnny Quaid—both cited exhaustion from the band's kamikaze road warrior approach to touring—made re-creating past efforts impossible anyway. Although the legions of new fans hardly noticed the lineup shift as the group had just begun to gain national notoriety at the time of the switch, longtime devotees were rightfully concerned. Quaid was much more than a lead guitar player: in addition to being James' cousin with whom he founded the band in 1998, all the group's previous albums had been co-productions between James and Quaid, recorded in the Quaid family barn on the outskirts of Louisville. His departure signaled a sea change at the heart of MMJ's musical operation.

Broemel was more than aware of the pressures he faced in filling the man's shoes. "I definitely put a lot of pressure on myself coming into the situation," recalls Broemel of his first foray on the road with the band. "Bo really did, too. The guys in the band weren't putting any pressure on us. It was more me worrying about what the fans wanted to hear, what the show should be like and how I wanted to approach it. It didn't take long for that to become second nature though. I love the old records and have no problem replicating them. I have the utmost respect for the guys who left and the parts they played both musically and personally in the development of the band."

As anyone who saw the group's May 2004 show at the Quest can attest, Broemel's ability to emulate Quaid—both in sound and appearance—was flat out uncanny. All well and good—imitation may work when revisiting other peoples' past glories—but the true test of MMJ's mettle would come when it came to creating new music without their founding members. Broemel acknowledges the significant difference between being a hired gun for touring and a full-fledged band member—a transition he claims took place gradually.

"It's definitely a different thing now having been a part of making one of the records," claims Broemel, audibly excited about his first studio moments with the band he's been a part of for nearly two years. "My relationship with the guys has evolved slowly and naturally. Jim James asked us to come out and do the tours and then we were just going to take it from there—there was no real commitment made in terms of a future beyond that. We just took the approach of building a relationship slow and steady and eventually we were at the point that it was only natural to be rehearsing as a band and working on the new record together. It took us about 18 months to get to that point—it definitely wasn't a decision the other guys made lightly."

No one can accuse the original members of poor judgment: Broemel acquits himself as a solid complement on the axe to James throughout Z, producing some highly memorable six string moments with the buoyantly ragged licks found in "Anytime" and soaring sparring with James during the outro of "Lay Low." My Morning Jacket have come a long way since the days of playing in front of a dozen people at the 7th St. Entry just three and a half years ago when Jim James still held a day job at Subway, and it appears their future with new member Broemel is more than secure.

The group may currently be seen making cameos in a Cameron Crowe film, the universally-panned "Elizabethtown," and with their names on the cover of Rolling Stone—but the focus remains squarely on one thing, the music. "Things like the big press and the Cameron Crowe movie don't really feel like a big deal," says Broemel. "We're more just happy that people come see the band and we get to have a great time playing to a room full of people singing along. I get excited about seeing that kid in the front row who's just totally freaking out—not about having friends call and tell us about what Entertainment Weekly said about us or whatever. The music itself remains the coolest thing about being in a band like My Morning Jacket." ||

My Morning Jacket plays on Sat., Oct. 29 at the Quest Club with Kathleen Edwards. 6 p.m. $18. All Ages. 110 N. 5th St., Mpls.

For further information visit the band's official website at MyMorningJacket.com. While you're there, listen to streams of their songs "Wordless Chorus" and "Off the Record."

corey

Fart.

I thought I beat you to this one, Laurie. I got all excited and came here to post it, but you had already done it.

:)

LaurieBlue

awwww...didn't mean to steal your thunder..want me to remove mine? ;-)

corey

Nahhhh.... I should have known that you were on top of it. :)