Gospel Jacket?

Started by LET_THE_FETUS_ROCK, Dec 03, 2007, 08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LET_THE_FETUS_ROCK

Got my new Rolling stone today.  MMJ go gospel on new disc.  Quotes Jim as saying he has "never been rocked as hard as listening to gospel music, listening to Sam Cooke's secular music and then hearing the gospe he did before this blew his fucking mind, no guitars, no bullshit!"

Both the sound and subject matter influenced his 25 or so new songs-which the full band demoed during a monthlong stay in a seclude d studio in the colorado mountains.  "we went out there and cooked dinner for each other and got lost."
THey are still deciding which songs to include on the album next.  

How's that for some down time.  25 new songs!   A Double album of soul and gospel would spectacular?

I will be there when you die!

dragonboy

Intriguing & exciting!  :o

Thanks Z Man!  
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

red

Very intriguing and even more exciting!    ;D

rob

That sounds great. I knew they were gonna somehow go really deep for the new album. Can't wait.
"demon eyes are watchin' everywhere"

dragonboy

QuoteVery intriguing and even more exciting!
I'd sue you for plagiarism if we lived in the US!  ;)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

BH

Nice!  I'm all tingly inside.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

TEO

I would like to go get "lost" with the band in Colorado for awhile!  ;)
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

aMD

bump!

see it now forbethel?

corey

So.... I'd like some clarification before this shit gets blown out of proportion.

There's a big difference between making a gospel record and being influenced by gospel.
Forbethel's already saying in the other thread that they are making a gospel record.

Just what exactly does the article say?

BH

The record will be gospel, the same way Off The Record is reggae.

They are really just trying to add one more discription of their music for the next round of poorly written reviews.

After this record they will be known as a Southern Alt. Country, Phychadelic, Gospel, Indie Rock band.  That really is just all about Jesus.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

.Walt

gospel??...well...fuck yeah!

i hope that means plenty of gospel organ.  because that would be heavenly.  if i heard some gospel organ, i would dance like a member of a southern baptist church.

Much Greater Than Science Fiction

TEO

Looks like I am gonna' be gettin' some religion!    ;)
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

the_wizzard

QuoteGot my new Rolling stone today.  MMJ go gospel on new disc.  Quotes Jim as saying he has "never been rocked as hard as listening to gospel music, listening to Sam Cooke's secular music and then hearing the gospe he did before this blew his fucking mind, no guitars, no bullshit!"

Check out Sam Cooke and The Soul Stirrers.   It is powerful music.  Sam Cooke's favorite gospel was "this little light of mine". I tried to find a link somewhere online to post so you all could take a listen.  However, I was unsuccessful.  I know it is on iTunes (and if you don't own it, everyone needs to have a copy of Sam Cooke Live at the Copa...is is sticky, gooey, powerful soul-moving music).   Get a snippet here http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/5942955/a/Sam+Cooke+At+The+Copa.htm

sweatboard

QuoteGot my new Rolling stone today.  MMJ go gospel on new disc.  Quotes Jim as saying he has "never been rocked as hard as listening to gospel music, listening to Sam Cooke's secular music and then hearing the gospe he did before this blew his fucking mind, no guitars, no bullshit!"

Check out Sam Cooke and The Soul Stirrers.   It is powerful music.  Sam Cooke's favorite gospel was "this little light of mine". I tried to find a link somewhere online to post so you all could take a listen.  However, I was unsuccessful.  I know it is on iTunes (and if you don't own it, everyone needs to have a copy of Sam Cooke Live at the Copa...is is sticky, gooey, powerful soul-moving music).   Get a snippet here http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/5942955/a/Sam+Cooke+At+The+Copa.htm

This is a good idea, thanks!!  I got "This little light of mine" on 11 right now.  
"That's Heaven To Me" is magic!!!

I'm excited, bring it on home Jim!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Cooke

read the "Death" section, it's insane.....

There's Still Time.........

TheBigChicken

This is a good idea, thanks!!  I got "This little light of mine" on 11 right now.  

Sar Records Story....soul,soul,soul   2 discs
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

Fee71

Wow. Jim James and Sam Cooke used in the same line by someone other than me!?!? :o

That's so Awsome, Now I want a cover of "Just for you"

Two of the greatest singers the worlds ever HEARD, if not THE.
"FOR ALL YOUR DAYS I WISH YOU BLINDNESS"

the_wizzard

He had a beautiful voice that brings magic and joy in each note....gone too soon  :'(

"My brother was first class all the way. He would not check into a $3-a-night motel; that wasn't his style."
— Agnes Cooke-Hoskins, sister of Sam Cooke, attending the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 2005 tribute to Cooke.

ManNamedTruth

He had a beautiful voice that brings magic and joy in each note....gone too soon  :'(

"My brother was first class all the way. He would not check into a $3-a-night motel; that wasn't his style."
— Agnes Cooke-Hoskins, sister of Sam Cooke, attending the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 2005 tribute to Cooke.

it was deffinately a conspiracy.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

pawpaw

Both the sound and subject matter influenced his 25 or so new songs-which the full band demoed during a monthlong stay in a seclude d studio in the colorado mountains.  "we went out there and cooked dinner for each other and got lost."
THey are still deciding which songs to include on the album next.  

How's that for some down time.  25 new songs!   A Double album of soul and gospel would spectacular?

I really like this...This is what I'm thinking. Jim's vocals on this new album will be his best yet. We're going to see a new level of soul and passion from him this time 'round, both in his lyrics and performance.

There could be some big sounding, slow tempo "gospel" songs, organ cranked. I really think that there could be a strong Soul/R&B feel to a lot of the tunes, maybe some horns, high-energy, make you wanna dance.

Also, it'll be interesting to hear the influence of the Rockies. I think there'll be some beautiful, lonesome sounding stuff on there, minimal instruments, maybe some pedal steel, and Jim's canyon filling vocals. It'll be interesting to hear how his lyrics reflect his time out there.

And I bet the next tour's Colorado stop(s) will be standouts.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

BH

I really like this...This is what I'm thinking. Jim's vocals on this new album will be his best yet. We're going to see a new level of soul and passion from him this time 'round, both in his lyrics and performance.

There could be some big sounding, slow tempo "gospel" songs, organ cranked. I really think that there could be a strong Soul/R&B feel to a lot of the tunes, maybe some horns, high-energy, make you wanna dance.

I like the sound of that.  I think you hit it right on the head.

"a new level of soul and passion"    :o Is that possible?  I don't know if my emotions could handle it!