Main Menu

Radio play

Started by War_End, Jul 28, 2007, 09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

War End

Hey, I want to know from other fans around the country about MMJ and whether or not they are getting radio play.  Here in Chicago I listen to WXRT all day at work and never hear anything from MMJ.  Their format would or should include MMJ but they just aren't playing them.  It is strange because XRT obviously supports the band because I saw an interview on YouTube with Jim James and a XRT disk jockey.
It is really frustrating....especially with all the crap that does get radio play.

Sleazy Rider

No radio play in north east Oklahoma or north west Arkansas. When Z came out this station in Tulsa had Gideon on cockfight, which is two songs competing, the winner goes up against a new song the next night. It was on that for 2 nights I think.
Politics. It's a drag. They put one foot in the grave, and the other on The Flag.

aMD

they get more radio love in their hometown of louisville, fortunately.  WFPK has been a huge supporter of the band since the beginning.  They still get plenty of play in the regular rotation.  The big "rock" clear channel piece of shit radio station in town also played them leading up to last year's show at the Louisville Gardens

ManNamedTruth

That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

tomEisenbraun

npr definitely loves em. XRT played an entire concert of theirs one night back about two or three years ago. i know xrt is big fans of em, it might just be they aren't paying big attention to em right now because there's nothing new immediately on the way
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

The DARK

Our local radio station played Off the Record and Gideon last year, but no sign of them this year.
In another time, in another place, in another face

Willard1979

I've yet to hear them on the radio here in California, and I see that as a good thing.  I heard Off The Record once in a dept store, whose name I can't remember.  Their music is just too "Out There" to be on the radio.  It wouldn't fit in with the crap that gets played so much, you're sick of it after the first listen.  I'd much rather enjoy them without radio exposure.  Thanks to the internet, AM/FM radio is, should, or will be dead.  ;)

Jaimoe

Off The Record had a bit of play on Canada's most influential and oldest music TV station MuchMusic, on its program The Wedge and Jim and MMJ have been featured on the Canadian music show The New Music.  

I've heard Golden on one of the CBC's (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) Galaxie satellite radio stations. It used to get big play on that network.  

MMJ do get played on all virtually all university radio stations across Canada, but the mainstream breakthough that we are all waiting for hasn't come north or south of the border... yet.

cmccubbin@work

they get play on XM Radio (probably b/c i request it ALL the time!)
If you're lucky, MMJ will fill the void you didn't even know you ever had. If you're luckier, you'll get to see them live.

vespachick

QuoteI've yet to hear them on the radio here in California, and I see that as a good thing.

Actually, KCRW in Santa Monica loves them and up until I left LA last Nov, I still heard them getting played on Nic Harcourt's show.

And Sirius plays them a heck of a lot!!
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

Chico

KGSR (sometimes referred to as K-Geezer) in Austin used to play Golden every now and again...  They are a sort-of hippie folkie adult contempory station.

The UT student radio station is also rumored to have played Gideon.

Never heard anything from our Alternative or Rock stations though  :-(

knotcameloose

Used to play em on my old college show in Lancaster, PA damn near every week.

Doubt anyone is picking up the slack anymore.

War End

Ya know, the more I think about it.....I'm rethinking the radio play wishes.  There is nothing worse than having a band you dig ( that is your own little secret ) and then watching them blow up into a stadium band that everyone likes.  This ages me but remember when nobody knew who REM and U2 was back in the early 80's.......?

I'm not ready to share MMJ just yet even though I tell everyone to give them a listen!

.Walt

was on a delivery and i turned the dial to the college radio station (KMSU) and i caught the last 2 minutes of Golden. it was the first time hearing the jacket on the radio. I hear golden when i play ISM, but it felt/sounded sooo much better hearing it on the radio. i felt proud.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

War End

HEY!  WXRT here in Chicago played "One Big Holiday" this afternoon....there is hope.
The DJ also mentioned that he has interviewed Jim about three times now and every time he does he says Jim looks totally different each time.

TGMC421

Heard "Lay Low" on a station here in Okla. City.  It fuckin rocked!    ;D ;)

getinthevan

I've heard them once or twice on the Michigan State radio station but thats it.  Then again, the extent of my radio listening in the last several years has been in the last couple months at work for about 2 hours before the stupid morning show starts.  Or in my old roommates car when we would go to the store.
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

evilPaauwe

heard wordless chorus in a subway a few weeks ago but thats all michigan can claim.
cheers.

EAZYE

QuoteHeard "Lay Low" on a station here in Okla. City.  It fuckin rocked!    ;D ;)

hey tgmc what radio station was that, the buzz? :-/
I painted my name on the back of a leaf
and I watched it float away

TGMC421

QuoteHeard "Lay Low" on a station here in Okla. City.  It fuckin rocked!    ;D ;)

hey tgmc what radio station was that, the buzz? :-/

Sho'nuff.  I never listen to them but a friend gave me a ring to tell me to turn it on and VOILA!  Maybe I should go old skool and start calling em and requesting MMJ.    :D