It Still Moves

Started by eiseyrokker, Jan 31, 2008, 02:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomEisenbraun

[Concerning Galileo's proof of a sun-centered model of our solar system]

Although we now recognize that Galileo won the day, the story was more complex in his own time, when Catholic Church doctrine still held Earth to be the center of the universe. One June 22, 1633, Galileo was brought before a church inquisitionin Rome and ordered to recant his claim that Earth orbits the sun. Nearly 70 years old and fearing for his life, Galileo did as ordered and his life was spared. However, legend has it that as he rose from his knees, he whispered under his breath, Eppur si muove -- Italian for "And yet it moves."
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

tomEisenbraun

[size=10]Perhaps for forbethel's sake, this post ought to be titled "Concerning the Naming of It Still Moves." Because of this discrepancy, please be prepared to suffer through a similar thread concerning the same subject in the not-too-distant future. Corey, please feel free to have at him, as well as aMD. Tracy, I look forward to your retort thread, in which it is revealed through repeated scientific method that all of the forum is really assholes (besides Meg, Cake, and Dorothy) and completely incapable of interpreting sardonic wit through the internet.
[/size]

sweatboard

Album number 8 = "And Yet It Still Thrusts........In Your Face"?
There's Still Time.........

sweatboard

Seriously, thanks for posting that.  It ties in whether it was deliberate or not.  

tomEisenbraun

I've found that, after a good grounding in Italian and consulting my resident expert, that "And Yet It Still Thrusts In Your Face" is actually the most literal translation of the phrase.

And seriously, how freaking cool is that? It does tie in, and I don't even care whether it was intentional or not. The idea behind standing behind what you know is right, regardless of what you know you know--there's something cool in that. Maybe Jim's an astronomy buff? I don't know. Either way, frickin cool. I thought it was cool in the few milliseconds before it turned into an MMJ reference, and then it got even more intriguing.

What a badass.

sweatboard

Yeah, I've been listening to Meg's "How We Think About Light" tonight, and I couldn't help but tie it into her album as well.  I believe that there is a natural order to things, but then there is the way we obscure it to fit our needs.  I think at some point that an obscured version (that happens to make more sense to "US") has unfortunately taken the place of a clearer version that doesn't make any sense at all....if that makes sense.  

BH

Quote[Concerning Galileo's proof of a sun-centered model of our solar system]

Although we now recognize that Galileo won the day, the story was more complex in his own time, when Catholic Church doctrine still held Earth to be the center of the universe. One June 22, 1633, Galileo was brought before a church inquisitionin Rome and ordered to recant his claim that Earth orbits the sun. Nearly 70 years old and fearing for his life, Galileo did as ordered and his life was spared. However, legend has it that as he rose from his knees, he whispered under his breath, Eppur si muove -- Italian for "And yet it moves."

Now that's a post!  Awesome.

I would add this, God created man, yet we still evolve.  Chew on that! :)
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

dragonboy

I don't get it...so the new album is called It Still Moves now & not Evil Empire?

[size=9]Great couple of posts Tom[/size]  ;)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

ycartrob

I am not sure this thread is under the correct topic. My people are still crunching the numbers, I will got back to you ASAP.

tomEisenbraun

sweatboard

I've always thought of the stuffed bear as being a symbol for Rock N Roll.  While the bear is dead it still evokes emotion when you see it (Zeppelin is still going to evoke emotion 200 years from now).  I think around the time It Still Moves came out there were many people claiming that rock was dead.  When It Still Moves came out that theory was pretty much put to death.  It Still Moves was kind of the hibernating bear of Rock.  I'm really not explaining this really well and I may be stating the obvious but I'd thought I'd throw it out there.  This is an interesting topic.  Good Post Tom!

thatswhatshesaid

you know, it does still move.

JacketGal

It Still Moves still moves me tremendously. Listening now....brilliant record, simply perfect.
But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

Bigsky

I always thought "It Still Moves" refered to the soul of the bear. A creature with such spirt and power doesn't stop moving, even when it's material body has parished, or in this case stuffed.

BH

QuoteI always thought "It Still Moves" refered to the soul of the bear. A creature with such spirt and power doesn't stop moving, even when it's material body has parished, or in this case stuffed.

That's a good one.  I think that Bear was on wheels too, so maybe someone said, Hey, it still moves.  And they all looked at each other wide eyed, with light bulbs over their heads.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

MickeyReds

The best is yet to come! ;D
As long as you keep a straight face...