Have You Considered The Notion That...

Started by dragonboy, Feb 15, 2008, 11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonboy

...you might not like the new album?

Before you post all sorts of silliness like 'how dare you! & that's blasphemy!' consider this...

For me a good example is DBT. They were my 2nd fav band just behind the Jacket & after Southern Rock Opera & Decoration Day I thought they could do no wrong but they completely lost my interest for a couple of years with The Dirty South & A Blessing & A Curse. They've pulled me back in hook, line & sinker with their new album but the fact of the matter is there's a chance that sooner or later Jim & the boys are going to put out an album that you just don't dig as much as the last one.

...who knows? maybe they're due a clunker?  ;)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Jon T.

Okee doke.  Now you've done it.  Go to bed, man.

;D

dragonboy

Fair enough Sir, see you tomorrow  ;D
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Jon T.

May you dream of gelled up, nicely tanned gangstas.

cmccubbin@work

i have considered that..and it scares the hell outta me!
If you're lucky, MMJ will fill the void you didn't even know you ever had. If you're luckier, you'll get to see them live.

easy jim

I've considered that Evil Urges will f'in smelt my mind with musical alchemy.

So soon after payday, know it seemed a shame!

aMD

Quotei have considered that..and it scares the hell outta me!

yeah, curtis and i were kicking around this idea on pms.  I worried more about Z then I do with this record.  With Z they were coming off it still moves which included a lot of songs that were already in the bag like One Big Holiday and I Will Sing You Songs so I was a little worried that Jim's creative well may have run dry. Z convinced me that that will never be the case.  I don't know what to expect with evil urges either but I'd say I'm more excited than scared.  

I was about to say that Jim wouldn't put out anything bad but then I just remember the picture disc that was recently released...  uh oh.  :-/  Okay, NOW I'm worried.

The DARK

First off, that picture disc was hilarious, for charity, and not a true release.  ;)

But it really doesn't bother me. Most bands have songs that just somehow "fit in" without doing anything much. MMJ do not write those songs. Listen to Okonokos for proof. After 4 LPs, if they have that many absolutely true blue 5-star rock epics (at least 15 of those songs are, and at least 10 more not on that album), they have no reason not to make more, especially after spending basically all of 2007 writing and recording the album.

Not to mention that I have a good feeling about Jim following his "Evil Urges".  ;D
In another time, in another place, in another face

ManNamedTruth

i think most bands that have done a lot of albums eventually start to lose it. its hard to stay that consistent. i don't think MMJ is near that point and have several great ones to come.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Chills

Quotethe fact of the matter is there's a chance that sooner or later Jim & the boys are going to put out an album that you just don't dig as much as the last one.

It's not only a chance, it's an inevitability.

few to none artist bring out 10 records in a row without one which sucks, or one which you just don't like as much as the others.

I will take no offense with say, a mediocre record. I can reach back to the old ones, or play some other artists and sit back for the next one.

The Big Come Up

Well, the way I look at it, if Jeff Tweedy and Wilco can put out 6 great albums, i'm sure Jim and the rest of the boys can. I see a lot of parallels between the two, for A.M. is a modest debut (much like the TTF), Being There expanded their sound immensely (just like At Dawn), Summerteeth involved an evolving sound (It Still Moves), and then their fourth album, YHF, completely changed the game (much like Z did). So, this will be MMJ's A Ghost is Born, and that sure is a good record, different, but good. I'm not too worried.

LEATHER KID

QuoteWell, the way I look at it, if Jeff Tweedy and Wilco can put out 6 great albums, i'm sure Jim and the rest of the boys can. I see a lot of parallels between the two, for A.M. is a modest debut (much like the TTF), Being There expanded their sound immensely (just like At Dawn), Summerteeth involved an evolving sound (It Still Moves), and then their fourth album, YHF, completely changed the game (much like Z did). So, this will be MMJ's A Ghost is Born, and that sure is a good record, different, but good. I'm not too worried.

Cool comparison.
"That's a bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off." :)
IT'S ALL FUCKIN' CHEESE!!

easy jim

QuoteWell, the way I look at it, if Jeff Tweedy and Wilco can put out 6 great albums, i'm sure Jim and the rest of the boys can. I see a lot of parallels between the two, for A.M. is a modest debut (much like the TTF), Being There expanded their sound immensely (just like At Dawn), Summerteeth involved an evolving sound (It Still Moves), and then their fourth album, YHF, completely changed the game (much like Z did). So, this will be MMJ's A Ghost is Born, and that sure is a good record, different, but good. I'm not too worried.

that's my thinking

So soon after payday, know it seemed a shame!

aMD

Quotethe fact of the matter is there's a chance that sooner or later Jim & the boys are going to put out an album that you just don't dig as much as the last one.

It's not only a chance, it's an inevitability.

few to none artist bring out 10 records in a row without one which sucks, or one which you just don't like as much as the others.

I will take no offense with say, a mediocre record. I can reach back to the old ones, or play some other artists and sit back for the next one.

Very good points.  But I hope we're all pleasantly surprised.

I am highly anticipating it though and have no idea what to expect as they haven't been playing their new material, he only songs they have played don't sound like they belong on an album called evil urges.  And it's called evil urges. ?????

dragonboy

Lots of good points. I like the Wilco comparison & I don't think the boys are due a bad album yet but I do think the next couple of albums will divide some fans, especially if Jim goes in the Hip-Hop/RnB/Funk direction that he's been threating to for a while now  ;)  

Let's see if they can compete with Bob Dylan's run of nine incredible albums before releasing his first (disputable?) clunker - Self Portrait.

aMD

QuoteLots of good points. I like the Wilco comparison & I don't think the boys are due a bad album yet but I do think the next couple of albums will divide some fans, especially if Jim goes in the Hip-Hop/RnB/Funk direction that he's been threating to for a while now  ;)  

Let's see if they can compete with Bob Dylan's run of nine incredible albums before releasing his first (disputable?) clunker - Self Portrait.

thems big shoes to fill.

btw, imo, neil young released 15 albums under his name before delivering a clunker (re-ac-tor). again with the shoes

aMD

woah, db, we were thinking the same thing at the same time! cheers, brother!

EDIT: where'd your post go?

dragonboy

Quotebtw, imo, neil young released 15 albums under his name before delivering a clunker (re-ac-tor). again with the shoes
Here's hoping the Jacket never sign with Geffen  ;D

dragonboy

Quotewoah, db, we were thinking the same thing at the same time! cheers, brother!

EDIT: where'd your post go?
Sorry, the LP pictures were too big...just reposted  :)

BH

I'll put it right next to the shitty Zeppelin album I have.  Oh wait, there wasn't one!

One thing I can guarantee, is that some people won't like it after only listening to it once.  Just like Z.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.