Wilco/MMJ discussion....

Started by bold99, Apr 24, 2008, 07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bold99

so I was talking to a friend of mine about Evil Urges...and we both sorta remembered the position Wilco was in when Yankee Hotel Foxtrot came out...ton of hype, lot of buzz for the band...sorta seemed like "the big album moment" for them....and then it came out and it sorta got the similar reaction that Evil Urges right away..everyone was like "this is kinda weird" and didn't know what to make of it...personally it took me a while to get into it but once I did it became my favorite Wilco album ...i'm seeing the same initial reaction to Evil Urges and i'm hoping this album over time becomes something similar for MMJ.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

Caseydog

Quoteso I was talking to a friend of mine about Evil Urges...and we both sorta remembered the position Wilco was in when Yankee Hotel Foxtrot came out...ton of hype, lot of buzz for the band...sorta seemed like "the big album moment" for them....and then it came out and it sorta got the similar reaction that Evil Urges right away..everyone was like "this is kinda weird" and didn't know what to make of it...personally it took me a while to get into it but once I did it became my favorite Wilco album ...i'm seeing the same initial reaction to Evil Urges and i'm hoping this album over time becomes something similar for MMJ.

I think I had the same reaction to YHF, but I think MMJ's rise has taken place without the release of Evil Urges.  Yes, Z didn't sell well (piracy), but I think MMJ's popularity has been on the rise for some time.  Take a look at how they have moved up consistently in the billing at Bonnaroo.  First year near the bottom, now near the top.

BTW--Wilco is one of my other favorite bands.  

bold99

Quoteso I was talking to a friend of mine about Evil Urges...and we both sorta remembered the position Wilco was in when Yankee Hotel Foxtrot came out...ton of hype, lot of buzz for the band...sorta seemed like "the big album moment" for them....and then it came out and it sorta got the similar reaction that Evil Urges right away..everyone was like "this is kinda weird" and didn't know what to make of it...personally it took me a while to get into it but once I did it became my favorite Wilco album ...i'm seeing the same initial reaction to Evil Urges and i'm hoping this album over time becomes something similar for MMJ.

I think I had the same reaction to YHF, but I think MMJ's rise has taken place without the release of Evil Urges.  Yes, Z didn't sell well (piracy), but I think MMJ's popularity has been on the rise for some time.  Take a look at how they have moved up consistently in the billing at Bonnaroo.  First year near the bottom, now near the top.

BTW--Wilco is one of my other favorite bands.  

Well yeah definitely, I just meant as far as the two albums go, it seems like there is a similar reaction....and their rise was already happening but it lead up to this album..I don't know if there is another album more anticipated right now than Evil Urges is (or was until the leak) Z opened up a lot of doors for MMJ, it was different but I don't think as different as people are seeing Evil Urges as...I think whatever happens with this album MMJ are going to get bigger regardless...they are just a ridiculous live band.

Wilco are definitely one of my favorite bands.

evilPaauwe

I've had to say i think you nailed it.  But i believe Evil Urges will do even more than what YHF did for wilco.

If anyone here hasnt seen wilco live, do it now.
cheers.

bold99

QuoteI've had to say i think you nailed it.  But i believe Evil Urges will do even more than what YHF did for wilco.

Still to this day my favorite live show...MMJ opening for Wilco at the Agganis Arena in Boston, MA....had 3rd row...first time seeing MMJ...I was blown away..and Wilco was just amazing.

Don Dante

QuoteI've had to say i think you nailed it.  But i believe Evil Urges will do even more than what YHF did for wilco.

Still to this day my favorite live show...MMJ opening for Wilco at the Agganis Arena in Boston, MA....had 3rd row...first time seeing MMJ...I was blown away..and Wilco was just amazing.

Wow, luckeee!  That...is...awesome!  I never knew that combo even happened.
Keep on dreamin' boy,
cuz when you stop dreamin'
it's time to die.

bold99

Yeah...I'm not sure how many shows they did...I was a short little tour Wilco did, just some random dates but it was awesome.....I'd kill to have those two bands tour together again.

chunt983

I'm not a huge wilco historian but it seems like YHF kind of took Wilco to another level and they found themselves on that album and started taking more chances musically and really creating their own identity.

I think MMJ has established their identity since day 1. The Tennessee Fire sounds like nothing I ever heard before and I was instantly blown away by how original their sound was.

I think with Evil Urges people are finally catching on and hearing about MMJ and now the spotlight is on them as this album is about to be revealed. The hype is all over this album. I think MMJ also gets a lot more support from their record company unlike what happened to Wilco during the YHF sessions. YHF was discarded as if it was a piece of shit and wilco was allowed to take the album and leave with it. Their record company wanted no part of it and thought it was garbage. Of course Wilco got the big "FUCK YOU" off in the end when the album was released and praised.

I guess there are similarities and differences between the two albums though.

Also, it seems like every time MMJ opens for another band it's always someone good; Pearl Jam, Wilco, and even Bob Dylan for a few shows. They definitely do not pass up the chance to open up for great musicians when they get the opportunity. Which to me says they are a very respectful band and really see it as an honor to play with great musicians.

By the way, I think "Sky Blue Sky" is a really great album.

ManNamedTruth

QuoteI'm not a huge wilco historian but it seems like YHF kind of took Wilco to another level and they found themselves on that album and started taking more chances musically and really creating their own identity.

I think MMJ has established their identity since day 1. The Tennessee Fire sounds like nothing I ever heard before and I was instantly blown away by how original their sound was.

I think with Evil Urges people are finally catching on and hearing about MMJ and now the spotlight is on them as this album is about to be revealed. The hype is all over this album. I think MMJ also gets a lot more support from their record company unlike what happened to Wilco during the YHF sessions. YHF was discarded as if it was a piece of shit and wilco was allowed to take the album and leave with it. Their record company wanted no part of it and thought it was garbage. Of course Wilco got the big "FUCK YOU" off in the end when the album was released and praised.

I guess there are similarities and differences between the two albums though.

Also, it seems like every time MMJ opens for another band it's always someone good; Pearl Jam, Wilco, and even Bob Dylan for a few shows. They definitely do not pass up the chance to open up for great musicians when they get the opportunity. Which to me says they are a very respectful band and really see it as an honor to play with great musicians.

By the way, I think "Sky Blue Sky" is a really great album.

They should've got all this hype for Z.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

ycartrob

they opened up for Wilco at the Palace in Louisville 3 summers ago? Maybe 4? Same quickie tour. Pretty amazing night.

bold99

I think both bands are amazing....actually the two bands that give me hope in music today...they both take chances and just don't go out and do the same thing over and over...Its amazing how many people that I've tried to turn on to these two bands and their first reaction was always "this is weird music" or something to that effect...but after a little while they comeback and are like "I get it now".  I think after Evil Urges comes out this will be the album that a lot of people get turned on to....I happened to some effect on Z but I think this will be bigger.  

Jaimoe

Unlike prolific evolving and innovative bands like Wilco and Radiohead (that don't strive to be successful because they do their own thing), many bands come out of the gate with a monster first album and they hit it big almost immediately. This can be attributed to many factors like being in the right music trend place at the right time, or simply that they blow their creative wad by putting all their best stuff on that first album and have no jam left for a decent follow-up; truthfully, many bands only have one good album in them.

It's fair to compare MMJ with Wilco/Radiohead: All three challenge and set trends instead of follow them. There's very few bands that don't evolve and are successful, thus they disappear after a couple of albums. Slow evolution is the key. One of the most successful non-evolving band is The Rolling Stones. Their music has always remained true to their roots. But they are The Stones.

TFowl

Satanic Majesties Request....

Jaimoe

QuoteSatanic Majesties Request....

Satanic was more of a one-off. Of course they also experimented with disco and funk, but they still sounded like The Stones. Nice example though.

chunt983

QuoteUnlike prolific evolving and innovative bands like Wilco and Radiohead (that don't strive to be successful because they do their own thing), many bands come out of the gate with a monster first album and they hit it big almost immediately. This can be attributed to many factors like being in the right music trend place at the right time, or simply that they blow their creative wad by putting all their best stuff on that first album and have no jam left for a decent follow-up; truthfully, many bands only have one good album in them.

It's fair to compare MMJ with Wilco/Radiohead: All three challenge and set trends instead of follow them. There's very few bands that don't evolve and are successful, thus they disappear after a couple of albums. Slow evolution is the key. One of the most successful non-evolving band is The Rolling Stones. Their music has always remained true to their roots. But they are The Stones.

Good points, and in that same sense, bands like Aerosmith de-evolve into total crap. It really is a shame when a band gets too big, and then they tend to get lazy and just go for the cash and easy ticket: Write 1 or 2 singles and *poof* there's a record. That record will then have no flow or substance, all fillers.

I think the internet and being able to download single tracks is really killing artists that are lazy, people are no longer buying albums for 1 song, they can just download that 1 good song. So I think in a way artists have to work harder into making the album worth buying and downloading as a whole. I think that is definitely one positive aspect of the new age. I really think there is a shift in the music industry right now where people are actually starting to listen to music and think about what is good, not what is fed to them. Also, there are some really kickass huge music festivals springing up everywhere it seems now, and at these festivals there are actual bands playing actual good music, and people are hearing this.

...And maybe my posts make no sense and I just ramble, that is another valid point.