Paste Magazine Review of Evil Urges

Started by The_DARK, May 07, 2008, 05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The DARK

I just got the newest issue, and they give a great review of Evil Urges. Check it out!
In another time, in another place, in another face

getinthevan

I need to learn to look down the board farther before making new threads so I don't just repeat things that have already been said.

A full page!  I really liked the review, they had nice things to say.
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

BH

When I got home it was sitting on the island across the other side of the kitchen and I thought it was Marilyn Manson on the cover. ;D

It was almost like this issue was made just for me.  It has the MMJ review, an article about hitchhiking to Bermuda (Yeah, I know, right?) as well as an article about Gatlinburg, TN which is where It Still Moves went from great to Mind Blowing for me.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

TheBigChicken

Band of Horses might sound like this if it cared to make some summer songs amid all it's autumnal ones,and didn't feel overly constrained by rock music traditions.....That's a quote from the article....Just what in the FUCK does that mean. Brian Howe wrote the article.
          Dear Mr.Howe,
                                   Thank you for the kind words. In the future ,if you would like to blow the band just say so. Try not stepping on other bands in the process all the while making little to no sense. Like Chuck said,"All the critics,you can hang'em I'll hold the rope". >:(
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

Dillsnufus

is there a online article of this?
Gazziza My Dillsnufus

tomEisenbraun

QuoteBand of Horses might sound like this if it cared to make some summer songs amid all it's autumnal ones,and didn't feel overly constrained by rock music traditions.....That's a quote from the article....Just what in the FUCK does that mean. Brian Howe wrote the article.
          Dear Mr.Howe,
                                   Thank you for the kind words. In the future ,if you would like to blow the band just say so. Try not stepping on other bands in the process all the while making little to no sense. Like Chuck said,"All the critics,you can hang'em I'll hold the rope". >:(

I think it's sort of understandable to trump the musical resonance between the two. Band of Horses came out and everyone screamed "MMJ ripoff!" but the Jacket released Z and started really killing comparison points, but the critics freaking kept on. I think the point sort of stands that they aren't ripping the Jacket off, or copying them at all, and that's where this comes from: this is not Band of Horses nor is it the type of music they would ever make. So kill the comparisons already!

I think that's valid. There's bands that have "similar" sounds (high chest voices, reverb, acoustic guitars, some hair, etc...) but who really fall in very different territory sonically and are falling under the Jacket's shadow. Band of Horses, and more recently Fleet Foxes are probably the ones who take the worst of this. Which sucks, because they each have their own good sides, and all three fall under different genres. The Jacket's waaay out of acoustic dark country musings for the time being, Band of Horses is a bit more dark and a little more inclined toward the "indie" crowd (I think, please correct me if I'm wrong), and Fleet Foxes is coming from this new West Coast movement with the likes of J. Tillman and others. I think they'd more in place opening for someone like M. Ward than the Jacket, sound-wise. And for each of these different bands to prosper and develop their sound, they've got to shed the comparisons to others.

I think the reviewer is helping to shed the comparisons here, so that the Jacket can move forward from that genre and be its own thing, and to give Band of Horses something to think about.

Different song-writers hit on different points sonically during their writing experience, but to try and shut them in to that is really detrimental when they decide to have fun and make whatever they want. The Jacket's moving, Band of Horses will need to in order to keep from repeating themselves, and Fleet Foxes need the chance to get out of the umbrella of the other two to shine. I think all three have something to offer and are different for very good reasons, but they aren't ripoffs of anybody, and certainly could never write music for any of the other bands.

Sorry for the book--it's been awhile.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

primushead

Sorry for the book--it's been awhile.

Actually, I thought this was a newspaper article compared to what you normally write 8-)

supernova9

I think the review in Paste is a pretty good barometer for what critical response to this record will be, sans the Band of Horses comparisons.  I think "Highly Suspicious" will find itself to be either a point of acclaim or of derision, but it'll get people talking, regardless. ;-)

upstatestruggler

Quote;
                                   Thank you for the kind words. In the future ,if you would like to blow the band just say so.

;D

too heavy for the hippies