The Spirituality Of MMJ

Started by sweatboard, Apr 24, 2008, 11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatboard

I've never been a part of an organized religion.  I've been to church, I've had family members and friends that are active.  I've never really been touched to the point that I felt like religion was something that was really important to me.  I've always had different degrees of guilt about this.  I try to be kind, I try to be honest, I try to be loving, I try to be understanding etc. etc.  I was listening to MMJ the other night and I realized they have been like a good friend to me.  The beauty in the music and the words just make my heart and soul light up, I guess that's kind of like what sermons do.  I think some of the ideas Jim has about spirituality are so obvious yet so disregarded.  MMJ makes me feel like I'm not so guilty.  Thanks guys!!!    
There's Still Time.........

fortbethel

A 'Just Because I Do' BLASTING/SING ALONG in my Fav. bar with a Sam Adam's light is ALL THE RELIGION I NEED! MMJ RULE!

sweatboard

QuoteA 'Just Because I Do' BLASTING/SING ALONG in my Fav. bar with a Sam Adam's light is ALL THE RELIGION I NEED! MMJ RULE!

shhhh, quiet down, David Berman might hear you.   ;D

sweatboard

This is a post I copied and pasted from the Pearl Jam Message Board......

The power of My Morning Jacket:

I work with Behavior Emotionally Disturbed kids here in the public schools. I've got two in my room trying to work quietly on some English literature and I put on Smokin' From Shootin' and you can see peaceful reflection come over them. The mood in the room, which was a little agitated as is often the case, was sucked right out and replaced with contemplation and thoughts of kinder times. Like they are riding in the car watching trees pass by. Awesome.

It was awesome to see. I'm really enjoying this album and can't wait for Radio City!

Thank you to psychobain!

The DARK

The power of MMJ strikes again!
In another time, in another place, in another face

BH

I love this thread.   All the way around.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Jon T.

This is a very soulful, uplifting album indeed.   :)

evilPaauwe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h__nkSdtxd0

Beforehand he talks about religion a little bit. its great
cheers.

pawpaw

QuoteA 'Just Because I Do' BLASTING/SING ALONG in my Fav. bar with a Sam Adam's light is ALL THE RELIGION I NEED! MMJ RULE!

;D Amen.

SAN DIMAS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RULES!!!

"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Laylow27

why does Jim James have to dabble in religion? ugh. god he shouldn't be so won over by their emotional impulses and "faith". Come on Jim!

Jon T.

Quotewhy does Jim James have to dabble in religion? ugh. god he shouldn't be so won over by their emotional impulses and "faith". Come on Jim!

Ladies and gentlemen, the most ignorant post of all time.  Congratulations Laylow!

pawpaw

Quotewhy does Jim James have to dabble in religion? ugh. god he shouldn't be so won over by their emotional impulses and "faith". Come on Jim!

Ladies and gentlemen, the most ignorant post of all time.  Congratulations Laylow!

;D You crack me up dude...where's Tom when we need him?!?! ;D

lisaskye

Well I must agree that this album is a path to goodness and love.
I felt it today listening to the SXSW stream
Sec walkin,
Librarian
smokin from shootin
thank you
I will be there when you die
all acoustic in the church...
it swirls like  vortex of love and peace and joy rushes over me
I cry tears of joy that Jim is able to share his gift with the universe and I am there to receive it.
Thank you all for the  love and joy and sharing....

the_wizzard

disclaimer: I did not take this shot...but I was at this show  ::)

sweatboard

Yeah, I've made a comment on that particular shot before.  Magical things surround this band....it's no coincidence.

the_wizzard

QuoteYeah, I've made a comment on that particular shot before.  Magical things surround this band....it's no coincidence.
I thought such a wonderful pic deserved to be reposted in this thread.  
I agree, no coincidence....

tomEisenbraun

Dang, am I the board Shitty Post Nazi, now?

I'll work on fixing that...

The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

peanut butter puddin surprise

My cat's breath smells like cat food  ;D
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

pawpaw

Dang, am I the board Shitty Post Nazi, now?

I'll work on fixing that...

;D Not at all...I'll share that responsibility with you!  ;D

I meant it more as you being one of our spirituality-in-music/art enthusiasts/defenders....and this guy was just ripe to be ripped...in a logical, considerate way, or course  ;D

No disrespect meant at all..."I like your style, Dude."

sweatboard

Last night I was playing the scene from "I'm not there" when Jim sings "Going To Acapulco" and this Giant Thunder Stroke erupted outside at the exact moment that Jim was hitting that big note.....then it fucking poured rain.  

I've got other stories....

Here, Right Down Here With Us.....In This World.  

It's like a triangle....but it's not flat.