Clerk said they "sold out".

Started by courtlandfoster, Jun 17, 2008, 10:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

courtlandfoster

I got EU the day it came out, but my friend wasn't as lucky. We went to FYE yesterday so he could get and you are not going to believe this....

We had trouble finding it and asked for assistance from a wandering clerk. He was like "Oh, yeah. They sold out" At first I thought he meant that the CD was out-of-stock...but he actually meant that the band sold out.
My friend and I just stood there for a moment. We explained how much we loved the album as he lead us to the CD. There was no changing this guy's mind, though. He really feels that My Morning Jacket has sold out.  >:(

I've already said it here 2 or 3 times, but I feel they will go back to their roots with the next album. It will either be another It Still Moves or another Z.

But I'm really satisfied with Evil Urges. It does have to grow on you if you are used to their older material. But there is nothing wrong with EU in my eyes .

knotstilloose

i work in the music industry in chicago and bc of my job this statement "selling out" is my gratest pet peeve in the world.  If any of us at our day job bust our ass to get recognition and get a raise no one says "oh man johnny got promoted to project manager, what a sell out i'll never talk to him again..."  It's just so stupid to me.  They are musicians, their job is to make music.  If they have the chance to grow, let more people hear the music, and make more money all that means is that they are good enough to do so.  And they should!
[url="//whereisbrice.com"]whereisbrice.com[/url]

lisaskye

Coltrane

um....you should go back to that store with a copy of the Bonnaroo setlist and shove it down his throat.

And since when does an FYE employee have the musical chops to call "sell out" on anyone?? I think he's seen High Fidelity one too many times.

Except he clearly wasn't paying any attention.

FYE!?!?!?!?!?
....as mayor of Drugachusettes, I declare this pizza to be...AWESOME!!!

mjkoehler

God a hate the term Sell Out. Please. This is their career choice, how they make their money. Hell yeah they sold out: Concert venues, Radio City Music Hall, the Filmore (3 straight Nights), soon MSG.

Fucking cocksmoking clerk. Come on Silent Bob, lets...

Whoops, my brain wondered there for a moment  :D

j_rud

Sold out to what? Doesnt that term imply some kind of financial gain achieved by making ones art more commercially viable? Call me crazy, but I dont think we're gonna see Highly Suspicious in a Cadillac commercial any time soon. It could work GM changes the name of their leather seats from "beige" to "peanut butter puddin' surprise", but I still have my doubts...
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?

j_rud

BTW, this guy works at FYE, right? That major chain that buys up smaller chains like Sam Goody and Suncoast Video, to name a few, in turn pushing out small independent record stores? He's the one wearing a company golf shirt with a cute logo, but yeah, My Morning Jacket is the sellout. Douchenozzle...

mjkoehler

Hey, if they can turn the Yeah Yeah Yeah song from the Flaming Lips into a salad dressing commercial, anything can happen!

YouAre_GivenToFly

How did they sell out? By donating all the money they made from a beer commercial to charity? Or by send fans burned copies of Z so they wouldnt get that rootkit spyware that Sony released it with? Or was it when instead of releasing a basic concert DVD they turn it into an actual visually interesting and engaging production? It must have been the 3 & 4 hour shows they put on in horrendous conditions that no other band would even think of performing during.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

j_rud

QuoteHow did they sell out? By donating all the money they made from a beer commercial to charity? Or by send fans burned copies of Z so they wouldnt get that rootkit spyware that Sony released it with? Or was it when instead of releasing a basic concert DVD they turn it into an actual visually interesting and engaging production? It must have been the 3 & 4 hour shows they put on in horrendous conditions that no other band would even think of performing during.
But thats old MMJ. This is new MMJ, and they are most definitely in corporate pockets. Which corporations I have no idea, but its there. But hey, thats music. What can you do besides "charge it to the game"?

YouAre_GivenToFly

QuoteHow did they sell out? By donating all the money they made from a beer commercial to charity? Or by send fans burned copies of Z so they wouldnt get that rootkit spyware that Sony released it with? Or was it when instead of releasing a basic concert DVD they turn it into an actual visually interesting and engaging production? It must have been the 3 & 4 hour shows they put on in horrendous conditions that no other band would even think of performing during.
But thats old MMJ. This is new MMJ, and they are most definitely in corporate pockets. Which corporations I have no idea, but its there. But hey, thats music. What can you do besides "charge it to the game"?

Haha right... and what's with this "Blankenship" crap... I only know of Two-Tone Tommy and he goes by no other name.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

ms. yvon

Quoteum....you should go back to that store with a copy of the Bonnaroo setlist and shove it down his throat.

HA!  ;D ;D
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

petemoss

I love Evil Urges now. I think the band is genius, plain and simple.

songdiver

gggggrrrrr, it's not selling out if you are making the music you want to make and making amazing music.  Jim James has produced or co-produced every MMJ album.  Jim is doing whatever the fuck he wants to do.  Jim and the band are not making music for the record execs, Jim is the boss/producer.  He is calling the shots.  Selling out is when you lose control over your own music---MMJ is in total fucking control of what they are doing.

Look at Liz Phair.  That's a "sell out," she used to be really solid, now she makes music that american idol assholes are making.
"where we are, in the blink of an eye you get several meanings"

pjmmj86

That clerk sounds like an asshole. I hate it when total strangers force their opinions on other people they don't know.

wss

that's hilarious since ato is an indie now and the band are no longer even on a major label.

Love Dogg

There are two "hip" things to say nowadays..."My Morning Jacket is awesome!" or "My Morning Jacket sold out."  It's the bandwagon effect versus the anti-bandwagon effect.  Neither one of them are genuine, it's just a manufactured opinion on the latest hot topic in their teeny-tiny little buzz-word brains.  Social circles that are anti-social.  Reviewers who don't review.  It's either uncool to be cool or cool to be uncool.  Nothing is either sincere or educated.  Fuck 'em.   >:(
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

DaFunkyPrecedent

I just look at people who think they "sold out" and say: "too bad you feel that way, it's your loss".  I dont even need to defend them anymore...I just let their music do the speaking.  If people dont like it, or want to hate on it...go for it, it's them wasting their time hating a wonderful and timeless band.  

Did the Rolling Stones sell out? the bands that can be BIG and not corporate should be honored!
God damn those shaky knees.