MMJ working on follow-up to Evil Urges

Started by Tieoptional, Jul 09, 2008, 09:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tieoptional

Link here: http://www.nme.com/news/my-morning-jacket/37943

Text:

My Morning Jacket begin work on album six.

Jim James and co. are already writing their next effort.

Despite releasing their fifth album, 'Evil Urges', last month, My Morning Jacket have already begun work on its follow-up.

Speaking to BBC 6music, frontman Jim James said that he was in the process of writing what will be the band's sixth studio album.

"I'm already writing songs for the new record and stuff," he said. "The process is weird because whenever we make a record, the songs come from one or two years of life that you've lived.

"Then by the time you get to make that record you're in that zone but when it comes out, it's a year or two later. So, for me personally, I'm working on the next thing."

(Sorry if this was already posted. I didn't see it if it was.)
The river's long... it is cold. It chills the body but not the soul.

pjmmj86

Sweet. That would be awesome if it came out next year.

Love Dogg

Or later this year!  I know it's unlikely, but a boy can wish.  :-/
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

BH

Is it too early for a "Release Date Prediction Game" thread? ::)
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Crispy

After hearing a leak of these new songs in Jim's head, I have to say I'm disappointed in the direction his next thing has taken. It's just so different from the stuff I fell in love with, I mean, why mess with a formula that's worked for us so well? Why, Jim, why? Here's hoping his thoughts come back around to the version of MMJ that we know and love for the next, next thing. Or at least the next, next, next thing.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

The DARK

Does this tie into the band breaking out older songs at Amsterdam last week? Maybe it's the sound they're going for? Probably not, but oh well.  ;)

In another time, in another place, in another face

whothrewthecake

this is pretty tight. i hope he is also collaborating with joe jonas on a few tracks to get the sound just right.

Kenny76

QuoteAfter hearing a leak of these new songs in Jim's head, I have to say I'm disappointed in the direction his next thing has taken. It's just so different from the stuff I fell in love with, I mean, why mess with a formula that's worked for us so well? Why, Jim, why? .

there's a formula?? :-?

Crispy

QuoteAfter hearing a leak of these new songs in Jim's head, I have to say I'm disappointed in the direction his next thing has taken. It's just so different from the stuff I fell in love with, I mean, why mess with a formula that's worked for us so well? Why, Jim, why? .

there's a formula?? :-?
Did I need to surround my comment with  ;) ;)s?

If there is a formula, this guy knows it:
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

ycartrob

I'm gonna start early and try something new. I am disappointed with the new direction the band is taking, I cannot wait to download the leak, and I am tired of Jim James preaching to me.

Let's see how this pans out...

DaFunkyPrecedent

When you're at you peak of making music, you need to make music.  Bob Dylan released his best 3 albums all in one year.  The beatles did the same thing.  When your in the zone - go with it!  

They need their own recording studio - that way when ever a song pops in Jims head they can get it on tape....
God damn those shaky knees.

weeniebeenie

They're already working on the next album? :o Yay!
How loud can silence get?

Penny Lane

exactly ..look at guys like ryan adams and joseph arthur---putting out albums every month. enough w/the euro vacation---get to work jim!! damn!!
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

freeport

Well, they could take the time before the MSG show...

I'm curious to see if they keep touring through next year.

Tieoptional

I AM new here, but doesn't it seem like there is a pretty high quotient of whiners?

The band does not exist for YOU, they do not play for YOU... they are artists creating art.

It is fine if you don't like the art that they are creating, but why should they bend to your personal wants in deciding what to create?

You like them or you don't - but it seems silly to suggest to an artist that they should change or not change if they don't want to. Let them be driven to where ever their creative urges might take them, evil or not.
The river's long... it is cold. It chills the body but not the soul.

Hawkeye

QuoteI AM new here, but doesn't it seem like there is a pretty high quotient of whiners?

The band does not exist for YOU, they do not play for YOU... they are artists creating art.

It is fine if you don't like the art that they are creating, but why should they bend to your personal wants in deciding what to create?

You like them or you don't - but it seems silly to suggest to an artist that they should change or not change if they don't want to. Let them be driven to where ever their creative urges might take them, evil or not.

You had to be there...to pick up on the sarcasm, that is.  I think everyone here is in agreement with you  :)
We could.

ycartrob

QuoteI AM new here, but doesn't it seem like there is a pretty high quotient of whiners?

You had to be there...to pick up on the sarcasm, that is.  I think everyone here is in agreement with you  :)

yes, there was a bevy of new members posting here before the official rlease of EU. Many were saying how bad it was and how disappointd they were, and blah blah  blah. I tried single handedly to run every one of them off and I did pretty well. However, I did sell my soul to the devil to get the job done, but I did it for the band.

I think

I'm going

to hell [smiley=evil.gif]

Penny Lane

yes that's what we're suggesting. CHOP CHOP!!

ps-you sound like a ball of laughs, you're not sitting in section 10 on NYE are ya?
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

DaFunkyPrecedent

QuoteTHEY. WILL. BE. GODS.

that's why they're growing their hair out again.
God damn those shaky knees.