RCMH Dondante

Started by Bermuda_Hitchhiker, Jun 27, 2008, 12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BH

I didn't think this song could get any better live.  

I was wrong.

I love it when the boys take something that has been around awhile and mix it up a bit, add some things, etc.   Carl's sax at the end has reached an even more epic level.  And how about the pauses in Jim's Ner, ner, ner, ner's towards the end.   That's right, I said ner, ner, ner, ner.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

RoughGod

I think this version was the best I've heard yet....Carl's sax work was just incredible....
Demon Eyes Are Watching

1derfulman

Yup, sounds incredible on the taping...

This was the only song I missed due to a bathroom break and extremely slow lady helping me at the beer line...

This was proabbly on my top 5 songs i wanted to hear that night.  Oh poor me...how could I be disappointed with anything that happened that night...

BH

QuoteYup, sounds incredible on the taping...

This was the only song I missed due to a bathroom break and extremely slow lady helping me at the beer line...

This was proabbly on my top 5 songs i wanted to hear that night.  Oh poor me...how could I be disappointed with anything that happened that night...

You are not alone.  I missed arguably my favorite EU song in Thank You Too as well as TWTHS waiting for three wiskey cokes.   They would only give me two.  I actually tried to bribe the old lady with a $20 as if I'm made of money, and she shot me down.   ;D Luckily the kind fellow in the next line was only getting one drink, and hooked me up (much to the chagrin of the old lady).   If you are out there, kind fellow, this bud's for you. [smiley=beer.gif]

Oh, and then on my way back to the seats, I'm holding three drinks, and I give the usher at the door the look, you know, the "hey, come on, don't make me put these down and get my ticket out of my pocket look."  And she just shook her head at me, and said "Ticket please."  Doh!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

vespachick

You are not alone.  I missed arguably my favorite EU song in Thank You Too as well as TWTHS waiting for three wiskey cokes.   They would only give me two.  I actually tried to bribe the old lady with a $20 as if I'm made of money, and she shot me down.   ;D Luckily the kind fellow in the next line was only getting one drink, and hooked me up (much to the chagrin of the old lady).   If you are out there, kind fellow, this bud's for you. [smiley=beer.gif]

Oh, and then on my way back to the seats, I'm holding three drinks, and I give the usher at the door the look, you know, the "hey, come on, don't make me put these down and get my ticket out of my pocket look."  And she just shook her head at me, and said "Ticket please."  Doh!

:-[Thanks for the drink, BH. :-[
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

BH

Oh shit, don't even sweat it.  Getting the "third" drink did not, I repeat, did not, add any time to my trip, and I would have gone to get myself one anyway.

Plus, what you did for me was much much better.  (I'm not going to say what it was, but it had to do with a long cylinder shaped object and an airplane. :o)

vespachick

Oh shit, don't even sweat it.  Getting the "third" drink did not, I repeat, did not, add any time to my trip, and I would have gone to get myself one anyway.

Plus, what you did for me was much much better.  (I'm not going to say what it was, but it had to do with a long cylinder shaped object and an airplane. :o)

;D ;D ;D
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

Bigsky

Long? maybe in the eyes of the beholder...  ;)

But anyways...Dondante is my favorite MMJ song. It has always destroyed me, and given me emotions that I didn't think music could. I was lucky to catch at RCMH (my first show), and thank god I took a bathroom break during another song...

BH

Let's just say it was long enough to get the job done. ;D

Quotegiven me emotions that I didn't think music could
This is basically the way I describe MMJ to people. :)

Don Dante

That is a great way to put it.  As you might would guess, I absolutely love this song.  So beautiful, so emotional, it really surpasses words.  I think it's the best song they've ever written, with Smokin' From Shootin' close behind.
Keep on dreamin' boy,
cuz when you stop dreamin'
it's time to die.

DavidCrosby

.....I was reading some comments on the RCMH show and some stooge said they totally killed the energy of the place when they played Dondante, dumb ass......sometimes I want the sax part to be a little more psychedelic though.......
listen to vinyl

ms. yvon

it was gorgeous that night!

stunning, stunning, stunning.
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

alexzbik

Roo Dondante > RCMH Dondante
Stolen as the war begun, this time your soul is my one.

Crispy

QuoteRoo Dondante > RCMH Dondante
OK, I was at RCMH, but not at the Roo, so I can't say for sure but I've listened. I'll assume you weren't getting that nasty buzzing to the right during the first 3:40. After the slight missteps in the solo around 5:40, it comes together, and finishes off with some sweet improv stylings with Carl's sax, and you got an extra 3 minutes. However, I've got to say that the performance itself was better at Radio City, and even though we didn't the cooler improv as at Roo, Carl's sax play was just outstanding. The energy of the whole tune seems to be greater, but maybe that's just the indoor thing. Give a listen to each of the screams at the end of the chorus - at RCMH, it's a real scream scream, and the crowd is really feeling it during the guitar solo. So I'm gonna disagree in this way:

Roo Dondante != RCMH Dondante
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Ghosts_on_TV

Yeah it was. RCMH was fantastic though.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

alexzbik

Yeah it was. RCMH was fantastic though.

no doubt.
Stolen as the war begun, this time your soul is my one.

YouAre_GivenToFly

Lovin' the sax on this one.

Yes, I said it, I'm lovin' sax.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

ms. yvon

QuoteAnd how about the pauses in Jim's Ner, ner, ner, ner's towards the end.   That's right, I said ner, ner, ner, ner.
bh-i was listening to okonokos today and during dondante i thought of this post:  ner, ner, ner.

;D
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

DaFunkyPrecedent

2006 Bonnaroo = best version of dondonte.  No Doubt!
God damn those shaky knees.

tomEisenbraun

Quote2006 Bonnaroo = best version of dondonte.  No Doubt!

I can't remember if I cried or not during that one, but if I didn't, I was really damn close. To see them tear that one a new one with their friend who had almost certainly also known Aaron Todovich...just shit. The weight of that song that evening was absolutely destroying.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.